Lights on Instrument Cluster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights on Instrument Cluster.

This came up a while ago but I dont know what happend. When I start up the Car the three lights(too lazy to go and check which ones they are) come up when the car is cold. Is it possible that the cold start switch/valve is the problem? I remember that the car didn't do that when I first got it but it has began to do it and I dont like it. Any Advise ???
    Finnally Powered by my ///M3
    1990 E30 M3
    1973 M2

lights in the overhead check pannel? in the instrument cluster?? please define...
    1990 e30 m3

Comment

Cluster
      Finnally Powered by my ///M3
      1990 E30 M3
      1973 M2

Comment

It's a bit difficult to offer any advise if you can't tell us what lights you are referrinng to........
        Kevin
        Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

The lights will go off when you blip the accelerator. Typical problem to some.

audibm

Comment

Oh right, if it is that the lights don't go out until you raise the revs then it completely normal as the alternator kick in until the revs reach a specific level. Can't remember what it is now.

I had read your first post as the lights can on again.
            Kevin
            Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

?

My M3 used to do this, where I would blip the throttle to ge the lights to go out.

Just recently, it went away, and I don't need to blid the throttle anymore because the lights don't come on dim. Did it fix itself, or is something else wrong?

Thanks.

Comment

Mine does that too... I think its the abs light, brake lining lights, etc... just rev it a couple of times..
                Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WsYARLD1Y

Comment

I'll try to offer a brief explanation...however I am not an engineer...so this may not be completely accurate.

First, my M3 does that also. The couple cluster idiot lights stay on till I blip the throttle which in turn gets the alternator spinning fast enough to trigger the excitor wire. The excitor wire is the trigger for the alternator to kick in and begin making juice. (Not OJ kids).

Now for the thoery of why our cars do this. I've heard two reasons.

1. Because our engines rev soooo high, the M boys had to use a larger diameter alternator pulley so that the alternator would not implode when we are screaming along at 7800 rpms.

2. Because our engines have individual throttle bodies and no cold start valve with 1980s Bosch technology, the motronics system is not able to be programmed to blip the throttle on start up like that of other BMW engines.

Hope that helps.

Mark M
                  E30 M3 / E46 M3 / E83 X3

Comment

mine does it too.. it's normal.
                    '91 SpecE30 #523
                    '03 540i/6 M-Sport
                    '00 F-350 Dually
                    BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
                    My Track Schedule

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

My question though, is that recently I DON'T get the lights anymore, when i used to. Is it normal to not have to blip the throttle anymore?

Comment

Perhaps the bulb has burned out?

Comment

Working...
                        X