Dammit Oil Filter Torqued On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit Oil Filter Torqued On

isht for brains who had the car before me torqued the hell out of the oil filter. I have the airbox, MAF off for access...the filter moves in both directions....dammit. Am I going crazy. I don't wan't to strip or mess up my housing. Am I supposed to go away from me or towards me. I would think that to loosen the thing I would come towards me....ie lefty, loosen, righty...tighty. Oh....the joys.[done]

turn it towards you I use double sided duct tape around the filter so my had will stick to the filter for better grip.

Seats Taken...No one rides for free...:burnbaby:

Comment

yeah...got it off finally. I was going the right way...thanks for chiming in! What is up with this drain plug though....old crush washer?...Part of the stock plug? I attemted to rip it off but haven't had much luck as you can see by the picture...

Comment

Get a copper crush washer. That one pictured has too small an id.
        m

Comment

get one of those oil filter wrenches that fits on the bottom of the filter and accepts a 3/8" ratchet. They come off real easily with one of those. I love that wrench, plus it's on the only thing I can fit down there when I'm changing the oil

dave

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
            get one of those oil filter wrenches that fits on the bottom of the filter and accepts a 3/8" ratchet. They come off real easily with one of those. I love that wrench, plus it's on the only thing I can fit down there when I'm changing the oil

dave

I had one of those....it was a two piece unit (center section that accepted the wrench was another piece). Snapped the first time I tried to get a filter off. I should have known the dealership would somehow f
            I like the double sided tape idea, although I don't think the filter should ever be _that_ tight....I just make mine "snug" when replacing it.

Comment

when i have trouble removing the oil filter, i just jam a screwdriver into the filter and twist!
              i just put a plastic bag underneath to catch all the oil, no mess.
              -Han

Comment

I just tightened by hand. I found that the best thing to use on the filter seal is wheel bearing grease. I don't believe in oil filter wrenches.

Comment

I just finshed changing my oil not more than 15 minutes ago. I also use the oil "wrench" which adapts to a 3/8" ratchet. The one I use is a one piece tool. It is bit a of chore getting the wrench into the small space, but simple simon once there.

I just snug it back on.

As for the crush washer. Stop by your dealer and get the copper one. They may give you 5 or 6 for free. They did for me on Friday night.

Now it is time for a beer... Before NOON!

A. Jackson

Comment

Working...
                  X