88 m3 differential ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 m3 differential ??

Will a used limited slip rear differential removed from an 89 325is automatic work with my 1988 m3? I just need to use it while I rebuild my stock differential.
    I have a noise coming from rear and I think its the differential. I also have a hunch is it the cv-joints or wheel bearing. Plan on replacing this while I'm removing differential .
    The constant noise increases as the speed increases. Any ideas what the cause is... :idea:

Ps. I might wanna do business with metricmechanic.com with regards to an engine + tranny rebuild. Any input on their work. Prices seem reasonable.

the differentials from all the e30 and e28's should work. (e28's would need the covers swapped). the ratio from the 325is will probably be different, so youre acceleration, rpm's, shifting points, etc are gonna feel a bit different, but that should be it.

Comment

Originally posted by marsfire
      the differentials from all the e30 and e28's should work. (e28's would need the covers swapped). the ratio from the 325is will probably be different, so youre acceleration, rpm's, shifting points, etc are gonna feel a bit different, but that should be it.
      As a side note, 4 cylinder E30's other than the M3 came with the small case differential. Although they will fit into an E30 M3, they will never be as strong.

Comment

A 325is auto will have a 4.10, and it should be a LS since the car is an 'is'

Comment

It should have a 4.10LSD since it's an 89 Automatic iS, so it's identical to your current diff.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Are you rebuilding the differential to stock specifications? I would also like to know what the rebuild is going to cost you? My diff is going to need a rebuild pretty soon.

Thanks,
            ///Matt
            -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
            http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
            PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

Yes thats what I wanna do. I will let you know what the $ will be to rebuild it. A new diff costs about $1.800 :cry:

Comment

Working...
              X