50mm Throttle Bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50mm Throttle Bodies

So take used E34 M5 TBs, custom machine them, and install? Easy as this or how much work is envolved in this conversion?

are we of the popular belief that the m5 TBs will be a diret bolt on to the S14 TB mounting points?

Comment

I was looking at this a little while back.

The M5 throttle bodies have the same bolt pattern as our cylender head.

This is different from S14 throttles because the bottom of our throttle and the head have different bolt patterns and we have those big rubber blocks that act as adaptors.

The M5 throttles are longer in length to take up the space where the rubber blocks would be, and use a paper gasket to bolt directly to the head. I assume the spacing between them is the same as S14 throttls, but I haven't measured to verify that. Theoretically, if you got a linkage to work and found places for all the hose fittings it would bolt right on. Brand new 50's cost about the same as brand new 48's for us too.

Comment

E34 50mm Throttles

So what's the latest on fitting E35 50 mm throttles up to an S14??? Anyone tried it??? Was it successful??? I'm very curiois.

Ron ///Man
        Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
        • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
        • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
        • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
        • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
        • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
        • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
        • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
        • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
        • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Ron,

Hello again. (I met you at Winterfest while speaking with Jordan; about his car losing coolant)

I read somewhere that it has been done; but there isn't a lot of details. I am sure with your background you could make it work. Though it is probably not worth it on a stock 2.3.

Comment

Hi, Michael:

Yes, I remeber meeting you at Winterfest. Thanks for the reply. From reading the threads on the topic, I didn't see anything definite from anyone who's actually used them, just a lot of speculation. I'm just trying to get up the confidence to go buy them and try them myself, but if someone said that they have used them successfully, I'd go for it... It's a lot of $$ to throw at an experiment.

These won't be used on a 2.3....

Ron ///Man:OMG:
            Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
            • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
            • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
            • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
            • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
            • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
            • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
            • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
            • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
            • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

I'm almost positive they have been used before. I'm fact John's shop sells a CF airbox specifically for use with the 50mm M5 throttles www.e30shop.de/index1.htm
              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Hi,

I am ˝ way this process (m5 TB) and made some pictures of it, but I can not put them on the message board.
                Can someone give me his e-mail so I can send them end someone else can put them on the message board?

I am not 100% sure but: E28 M5=46mm
                E34 M5 3.6L=46mm (1988-92)
                E34 M5 3.8L=50mm (1992-95)
                I used the 46 mm TB, the 50mm are difficult to find.

I can tell the do fit, but it is not a direct replacement:
                So far I found:
                -the holes in the TB are for 3xM8 and 2xM6 instead of 5xM6 (same pattern).
                -the mounting taps (1 of 2) on the fuel real needs a different location.
                -the bold patter of the air horns (air box) is different.
                -there is a extra step in diameter ad the end off the TB where it meets the air horns.
                -the are the same total overall length as the standard TB/rubber insulators.
                -the throat area is a lot bigger (more like standard 48 TB) 33mm instead of 27mm.

I hope someone can help me with the pictures…..

Thanks.
                Frans.

[email protected]

Comment

I wonder, if you want/need 50mm throttles, if it might be cheaper and/or easier to have a place such as TWM make them...?

Well, probably not cheaper for the first guy....but that is what they do and they already have bolt on applications for many engines. I don't know if all their TBs are different, or if they just create short manifolds to make them work.

Might be worth asking them at least.

Comment

TWM products are nice and most are cheap. Their throttle bodies that replace Webers are priced at around $250 for two throats. But look at what they made for the M50/52 motors: it cost $4000. Way overpriced. The Weber/DCOE style thotlle bodies require a Weber/DCOE intake manifold and throats are spaced 90mm apart against the S14's 100mm. So, TWM might not be the right direction to look at. I wonder though how big the intake valves are to require such big 50mm throttles...

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

TWM?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                      they are not idiots.

Comment

http://www.twminduction.com/Throttle...leBody-FR.html
                        Phil
                        E30 M3 - The Original Inspiration

Comment

contact Jeff Jenkins. he has implemented 50 mm
                          M5 throttle bodies. we made the CF airbox for him
                          the airbox has a different flange with integrated
                          inserts as the m5 throttles have a inlet side step.

all doable. just need the motor for it. now if I was Ron
                          and knowing that he races, Id get slide throttles for maximum
                          efficiency at WOT but what do I know

John

Comment

I am hosting some pics on behalf of FransVLC, that show his efforts at making the 50mm M5 throttles work on the S14.

Comment

Everything Frans has said is correct. They will fit, but you need to do some work.

In addition to installing the larger sized studs on the head, I also had a custom fuel rail made for the different bolt hole offset for the mounting tabs, and also so that its lower than the stock fuel rail. The linkage doesnt clear over the top of the stock rail.

John made the airbox in the picture below for me, with the integrated flange to insert into the "step" at the beginning. This one was made for my 50mm throttles, but he could also make them for the 46mm throttles.

I would recommend the 46mm M5 throttles over the 50mm throttles. Because the throat area on the 46mm throttles is so much bigger than even the Evo3 throttles, they should perform better than Evo3, even with the slightly smaller throttle plate size. The 50mm throttles not only have the bigger throttle plates, but the throat is even bigger. You would need to have ports like at least 30mm diameter just for them to port match properly to the throttles. If the motor is not suited for that size, you are better off with the 46mm, otherwise you will lose too much power in the usable range, and wont be able to use the area that might have been improved. Unless you have a motor setup that could rev higher and gearing for narrower power.

Jeff J.
                              1990 E30 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X