Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is what really belongs in an E30 M3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what really belongs in an E30 M3.

ahhh....

318is 2litre

I guess a little background info might help. :idea:

This is my dads E30 M3.

That is a 2.9L aluminum block S50. It has a fully forged, balanced, blueprinted, 11:1 bottomend. The head is ported with a 5-angle race valve job, M3 internals, etc. It has a Euro HFM and airbox, custom 7400redline chip, 8pound flywheel, motorsport clutch, adj FPR, yada yada yada...

Oh yea, and it also weighs about 4 pounds less than an S14. :p

318is 2litre

Comment

looks awesome! Got more pics?

Comment

Actually, S14s belong in E30 M3s....BMW thought so.

Heh heh.

Comment

Originally posted by einhander
          Actually, S14s belong in E30 M3s....BMW thought so.

Heh heh.

Then why does the M50/S50 engine/tranny fit on the factory mounts? :p

318is 2litre

Comment

The s14 owns the E36... That's why they put them into E36 race cars.:idea: They don't put S50/52's into E30 M3 race cars.

Let's see the chipmunks on a wheel under your bonnet. Keep dreaming. Hahaha

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by ROB89M3
              ONLY AN S14 2.5 WITH A DTM CF INTAKE BELONGS IN AN E30 M3 !
              Then you better pull your S14 out...

I think anything that fits and doesn't terribly upset the chassis is fine. Personally, I like the S14, though I wish it was a lot lighter. Tempting would be an alloy V8 with ITBs.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

>>>Oh yea, and it also weighs about 4 pounds less than an S14. <<<

That's light for a 6 popper but you might want to consider other factors too.

* The larger radiator and it's heavy coolant add weight, and well forward of the tires. Even the coolant reservoir is further forward and now on the driver's side.

* The engine has lightening tweaks like the flywheel that could also be used on S14s. For a more apples to apples comparison

* The engine is longer so more of the mass is in front of the front tires.

Do you have any speed to speed information for the car? It probably goes like stink. How about any corner weights? That would show the effect of the overhanging mass on front / rear weights . It wouldn't show the polar moment of inertia trouble though.

Stan
                Last edited by Stan; 04-24-2003, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
                  >>>Oh yea, and it also weighs about 4 pounds less than an S14. <<<

That's light for a 6 popper but you might want to consider other factors too.

* The larger radiator and it's heavy coolant add weight, and well forward of the tires. Even the coolant reservoir is further forward and now on the driver's side.

* The engine has lightening tweaks like the flywheel that could also be used on S14s. For a more apples to apples comparison

* The engine is longer so more of the mass is in front of the front tires.

Do you have any speed to speed information for the car? It probably goes like stink. How about any corner weights? That would show the effect of the overhanging mass on front / rear weights . It wouldn't show the polar moment of inertia trouble though.

Stan
                  Stan those are all good points. You really think through this stuff.

I am not sure of the corner weights. It does go like stink though. I wonder if it is faster than Alex's....we need to line em up sometime.

318is 2litre

Comment

I spoke to a guy at VMP who had an e30 m3 w/ basically the same motor as your dads.
                    He also said it was lighter than the S14, but that the weight distribution wasn't the same.
                    even with a CF hood, the corner weights were 54% front, 46% rear.

It was also one of the fastest cars I've ever seen at an autocross.
                    he had FTD by a couple seconds.
                    -Han

Comment

If I ever did that conversion, it would be with a euro S50. But I guess they are expensive to import to the us.

Comment

Jan, I think you are talking about a REAL engine!

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

It doesn't cost anything to import just an engine, just the cost of the part and the shipping.

T

Comment

BMW didnt win all those titles with a different motor in the car.

If it was more power/toruqe they needed, why didnt they build an s38 and slop that in?

Cause everyone knows 4 bangers own the world:t:

Comment

Originally posted by Jess e30 ///M3
                              BMW didnt win all those titles with a different motor in the car.

If it was more power/toruqe they needed, why didnt they build an s38 and slop that in?

Cause everyone knows 4 bangers own the world:t:

Yea...and BMW never tried using the M50/S50 in DTM :p

Because S38's are ridiculously heavy. Aluminum block M50 (S50's) are just as light as S14's....the weight difference is negligable, especially if you use the lightweight a/c compressor.

318is 2litre

Comment

Working...
                              X