• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• - Benson + Hedges E30 M3 pics -

That Are Some Nice Pictures, Rob!!!
    sigpic

after i'm done drooling.......

over those fine pieces of german engineering i was wondering what kind of ignition system are those guy's using since i would love to get rid of that mechanical and fairly antiquated distributor in favor of either one coil / cyl or one coil / 2 cyl as this looks like. The sensors are all there (speed / crank pos) and if the ECU would be just a little "smarter" it could do it - so how are the M-guys (the real ones) doing that? ok.ok.ok. I know they just have infinite resources and even more money - there got to be a practical (aka. less expensive) way to do this. Maybe a newer (E36) ECU with a mapping for that S14 would be a possible way to go? The E36 318 have single coils and the same pick up sensors...... Oh well, mybe i'm just daydreaming at night... But I have stopped drooling and the door has not hit me yet.....
    GG

...aerodynamics is for people....
    that can't build engines.....

Comment

Re: after i'm done drooling.......

Originally posted by GGranello
      over those fine pieces of german engineering i was wondering what kind of ignition system are those guy's using since i would love to get rid of that mechanical and fairly antiquated distributor in favor of either one coil / cyl or one coil / 2 cyl as this looks like. The sensors are all there (speed / crank pos) and if the ECU would be just a little "smarter" it could do it - so how are the M-guys (the real ones) doing that? ok.ok.ok. I know they just have infinite resources and even more money - there got to be a practical (aka. less expensive) way to do this. Maybe a newer (E36) ECU with a mapping for that S14 would be a possible way to go? The E36 318 have single coils and the same pick up sensors...... Oh well, mybe i'm just daydreaming at night... But I have stopped drooling and the door has not hit me yet.....
      I don't think an e36 or 318 ECU would work. However a true standalone EMS could work. I may have heard that the Lenz has this capability. A couple ppl on this board have the Lenz so maybe they can comment (Ironhead?) I forget.
      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Taken by me at Croft (UK) 21 July 2003. The B&H car is the ex Denny Hulme & Alan Jones car that I last saw at Bathurst when Denny sadly had his heart attack in this very car.

I believe the photo from the opposite angle was taken by Alan Fryer at the same meeting.

The more traditionally coloured car was at Croft again this year.
        Kevin
        Cecotto/Ravaglia Register.

Comment

Working...
        X