M10 oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M10 oil pan

Has anyone triede to fit an M10 oil pan on an S14????
    The gaskets and oilpumps are the same.
    The only difference I can think of, should be no oil level indicator and less oil in the pan.
    My S14 oil pan is wrecked and it is hard to find an oil pan from an S14.

M10 motors come in different flavours: 2002, e21 320i, e30 318i mainly. Each of those models has a different oil pan, and none are baffled. Even though the main body of the oil pumps are similar, they all have different oil pick-ups. The pans might not clear the subframe, the only one that could would be the e30 318i. But you will possibly have to change the oil pick-up to fit the pan and make some baffles.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

I was thinking about buying a used upper oil pan from an M10 and then a new lower oil pan for an S14. It seems like it is in the lower oil pan, that the big difference is.
      The dealer where I buy most of my bmw parts, an S14 and M10 oilpump has the same order number.

Comment

Why not have yours repaired????

Comment

Because it is in to many pieces:(

Comment

I have fixed the oil pan now. I used the upper oil pan from an M10 1,8 and the lower oil pan is S14, because it is in the lower oil pan, the real difference is. Here is a picture that shows the M10 upper(right) and the S14 upper(left) The big difference in the upper is the plate inside the oil pan. If you remove the plate the S14 oil pan is similar to the M10.

Comment

does the M10 have the mounting bosses to get the plate fixed?Doesn't look like in the picture.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

no, I am running without the plate......

Comment

Running without the plate will work, but they put that windage tray there for a reason. You might lose a little power without it.

Comment

How does the plate affect the power???

Comment

It helps stop the crank "whipping" up the oil in the sump. This drag of oil on the crank does sap power, but I've no idea how much.

What I'd be far more worried about is any extra airation in the oil which is not so good, and major oil-surge problems with spirited driving (or R compound tyres).
                      Steve
                      Scottish Cecotto

Comment

I donīt see how any of those things would be worse without the plate, the plate is like the bottom of the upper oil pan, just closer to the crank.
                        I know it is there for a reason, and when I find a used oil pan, I will change it. I used this solution so the car would not be standing still for a longer period.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan(denmark)
                          I donīt see how any of those things would be worse without the plate, the plate is like the bottom of the upper oil pan, just closer to the crank.
                          So, because you don't understand it, you choose to believe its not true? While that's one way to go through life, I wouldn't recommend it....
                          Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Originally posted by Jan(denmark)
                            I know it is there for a reason, and when I find a used oil pan, I will change it. I used this solution so the car would not be standing still for a longer period.
                            In simple terms, the tray forms a collection point for the oil spray that surrounds the crank. Instead of thriving as an aerosol air-oil mixture, the extra oil is collected and re-directed back into the oil pan. High rpms result in a denser oil mist. If you're trying to spin something fast--like a crank--through normal air and then try to spin the same thing through air full of oil globules, the clean air will result in less parasitic losses. Guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by jefrem
                              So, because you don't understand it, you choose to believe its not true? While that's one way to go through life, I wouldn't recommend it....
                              I was just hoping for an explanation, often people donīt explain why one thing works and an other thing does not work. It is easy just to be told that it wonīt work, but I like to now why.

Comment

Working...
                              X