Thinking about a suspension upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a suspension upgrade

i believe one or two of my shocks might be shot. i haven't pulled them off to check, but it's gotten my mind churning

currently i have Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks w/ stock springs. At least I think stock springs. the car is new to me and i havent looked at the springs to verify. this has all been on there since '96ish and was garaged for a while. maybe 30k on the setup.

i probably need to just retorque, regrease, and check everything over but i've started looking at what the rest of you run:

H&R Sports are popular. Koni single-adjustable's seem to be better than the Bilsteins w/ that spring

Ground Control coil-over kit w/ Koni single-adjustables

H&R's w/ the Koni's is ~$600
    GC w/ Koni's is ~$1500

this is a street machine. haven't gotten the auto-x or track day bug.....yet. i should probably just go w/ the first setup, but the GC is very nice

again, this might change once i pull my pass side shocks off and see wtf is up. is there a way to rebuild Tokico's?
    James
    sigpic

GC Is the way to go!
    But then again I may be biased, since i'm in the middle of my suspesion build. (picking up my front struts tonight!)
    -Andre- E30 M3 (My Dream Car) Sold, - Alpine E36 M3 RIP
    My Homepage

Comment

H&R Race springs and Bilstein/Koni
      or
      GC's and Koni's

the GC's have the added benefit of height adjustability and custom spring rates.

I believe Tokico's have a lifetime warranty but only to the original owner.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Tokico illumina5s are junk for longevity unfortunately.
        Go with the other suggestions.
        m

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
          Tokico illumina5s are junk for longevity unfortunately.
          Go with the other suggestions.
          m
          fantastic. i know the previous owner, so i could have him send them in for a rebuild. sounds like it might not be worth it though. there are better options out there now.

i've looked more into the GC kit and for my purposes, it's probably overkill. but the adjustability is very nice. but is it twice as nice as the H&R/Koni setup?

the H&R sports and Koni SA's seems like a great way to go. i'm running 225/45/16's.

this is not my daily driver, but it see's 100% street right now. but i'm sure there are driving schools in my future.
          James
          sigpic

Comment

I got the H&R and Koni set up and I love it.. I bought them on Shox.com. I believe it's the best combo for a street driven M3.

Althought I do the occasional Track and auto-X with them also they are night and day when in the SOFT and Stiff mode..

G' Luck..
            Richie
            In an Embassy Somewhere..

91 M3 - SOLD but not forgotten (to J.R. Nagy)
            03 Land Cruiser with the works
            06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

Working...
            X