Blower only works on speed 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower only works on speed 4

Over the weekend, I replaced the aux fan resistor and fixed the PO's solder job on the wires going to the dual temp switch. Yesterday, I noticed that my heater/vent blower only works on speed 4...1, 2, and 3 do absolutely nothing.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Mike

Blower motor resistor pack

There is a series of resistors on a plate attached to your blower motor accessable through a removable plate in the firewall - this is the likely culprit... easy replacement (although a bit of a pain to get at).

Essentially the resistors control the motor speed...except for position 4 which bypasses the resistors.
    Last edited by EightKMeter; 12-21-2004, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Yup, it's the resistor.

Here is a great DIY for you. It's for a standard E30 but for this it's essentially the same.

http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...040&Section=10

Comment

Is this in any way connected to my replacement of the aux fan resistor?

Does anyone know the P/N of that blower resistor board?

Thanks.
        Mike

Comment

It's not related. The resistor pack is a common trouble spot on all E30's. Just go to an electronics store and buy the same value resistors and solder them on yourself. Shouldn't be more than $1 for all 3. The hard part is getting to the damn blower motor but with some patience you'll get the job done. It's beind a panel in the firewall secured by 4 8mm bolts. It's also a good time to check the brushes on the motor for wear. I had to replace my blower motor because the brushes were worn down.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Actually, you might be able to fix this without buying parts. Just remove the old one, clean it up with fine sandpaper and electrical contact cleaner, and put it back in. If that doesn't work, buy a new resistor plate, 64 11 1 468 521.

Dean

Comment

Working...
            X