Any QuickJack Users Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any QuickJack Users Out There?

If you are a QuickJack user I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback as well as which model you are using for your M3.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

I took the plunge and finally bought one after years of hemming and hawing. For me - my absolute least favorite thing about any wrenching is putting the car in the air. I hate the jacks, the jack stands, constant fear of integrity of jacking points on old cars, etc. Not to mention how much more difficult it all becomes when the car is low.

I bought the 5000-lbs version from Costco. Setup is straightforward, and they're easy to use. Slide them under the car from the side, hook up the quick-disconnects from the lifts to the pump, plug the pump in to the wall, press "UP" and enjoy. Less strain on individual lift points when you are lifting the whole car at the same time. There are two height settings, I don't know measurements offhand but these photos are at the higher position. Comfortably high enough to swap exhaust systems, wheels/tires, suspension work, etc.

I use them frequently on the Focus and on my wife's Model 3. I only wish I'd bought them sooner. They work really well for my garage situation, until some day I have my dream 2-post lift.

1989 Lachs
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

@Koing - Thanks for the feedback. Like you I have similar concerns regarding jacking, stands, height, stress, etc. For every track weekend I prepare for am lifting and lowering my car multiple times to check suspension, brakes, etc. Once the weekend is complete I am doing the same for post-track inspection and cleaning. And then there is the routine maintenance, upgrades, etc. This past Summer alone I attended 7 track weekends. I need a simpler solution.

I assume you are lifting your M3 via the regular lift points.
      1990 M3

Comment

Friend has them, I like em but think when it come to purchasing I will be buying a MaxJax. Dig the Focus RS.
        Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
          Friend has them, I like em but think when it come to purchasing I will be buying a MaxJax. Dig the Focus RS.
          What MT said. if i was in the market for simple setup for a low height garage, i would get a MAXJAX instead of a quick jack. basically a mini two post lift that you can unbolt from floor and roll out of the way when not in use. lifts car higher, much less restriction to getting under the car.

https://www.maxjax.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...IaArOTEALw_wcB

that said, neither of these lifts are optimal. if you have the ceiling height don't even think about either of these. just get a REAL two post lift. you will be FAR happier.
          75 M2
          88 M3

Comment

I have my E30 M3 up on a QuickJack as we speak. I’ve used it on other cars also, and I love it. Much more practical and faster than a floor jack and jack stands, and gives you a lot more confidence. Mechanical locks, and I put my jack stands under the sides of the car also. It gets higher than most floor jacks will get you. Plenty of room to work underneath. I love mine. Totally worth it.
            -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

According to MaxJax the garage floor must be 4" (101mm) minimum thickness concrete, with a minimum compressive strength of 3000 psi (20 MPa) and reinforced with steel bar. Since I don't know my garage floor specifications I am probably going to take a pass on MaxJax but I do agree with you and Marshal (@mlytle) that a 2-post lift is the better overall solution.

I am also limited on floor space in my garage and a 2-post lift (even one that can be unbolted from the floor and relocated out of the way) would limit that even further. The QuickJack can be stored under my M3 when not in use.
              1990 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post

According to MaxJax the garage floor must be 4" (101mm) minimum thickness concrete, with a minimum compressive strength of 3000 psi (20 MPa) and reinforced with steel bar. Since I don't know my garage floor specifications I am probably going to take a pass on MaxJax but I do agree with you and Marshal (@mlytle) that a 2-post lift is the better overall solution.

I am also limited on floor space in my garage and a 2-post lift (even one that can be unbolted from the floor and relocated out of the way) would limit that even further. The QuickJack can be stored under my M3 when not in use.
                4in and 3000 psi is pretty much minimum code for most residential construction, IIRC from when i was building my shop. easy to check thickness by just drilling a hole.

quickjack is better than jackstands if all you do is detailing, engine oil change or brake work. big compromise if doing more than than. i used similar style of rotary lift for a few years in my DD garage. it was a PITA for anything other than those uses. jackstands were actually better than the lift for driveline/exhaust work as they allowed access from the side. i sold that lift with the house when we moved.

everything is a trade off. good that there is a range of options for picking up a car. folks should try to get as far "right" on the scale as they can for best value. (jackstands-quickjack-maxjax-real two post)

i don't mean to sound too negative about quickjacks, it is just that a real two post lift (or even a maxjax) is a massive GAME/LIFE CHANGER if you work on your cars a lot. if there is any way possible to get there, ya gotta do it. OMG they make things SO much better. i should have installed one long before it did.
                75 M2
                88 M3

Comment

• mwagner10702
                  mwagner10702 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Marshal, your feedback is very much appreciated. Lots to think about and consider.

The only difference is mobility convenience

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post

4in and 3000 psi is pretty much minimum code for most residential construction, IIRC from when i was building my shop. easy to check thickness by just drilling a hole.

quickjack is better than jackstands if all you do is detailing, engine oil change or brake work. big compromise if doing more than than. i used similar style of rotary lift for a few years in my DD garage. it was a PITA for anything other than those uses. jackstands were actually better than the lift for driveline/exhaust work as they allowed access from the side. i sold that lift with the house when we moved.

everything is a trade off. good that there is a range of options for picking up a car. folks should try to get as far "right" on the scale as they can for best value. (jackstands-quickjack-maxjax-real two post)

i don't mean to sound too negative about quickjacks, it is just that a real two post lift (or even a maxjax) is a massive GAME/LIFE CHANGER if you work on your cars a lot. if there is any way possible to get there, ya gotta do it. OMG they make things SO much better. i should have installed one long before it did.
                  I don't have quickjacks, but my friend does. He loves them.

I went the Maxjaxx route. It saved me $$$$. Otherwise, I would have wanted to build a detached garage and install a real two post lift. There are a ton of reviews on MaxxJaxx on garage journal forum. If interested, there's a TON of information there.

I just moved and took the maxjaxx with me. Just filled the holes in the floor of the old house. The new house has a higher ceiling. I was able to install Mohawk asymetric two post lift. It's amazing!

Each of these options has it's own purpose. If you do alot of work and have a low ceiling height, I fully endorse what the maxxjaxx can do.

Best of luck with whatever route you go.
                  1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                  1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                  1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

I worked doing at this building this place pretty much from Mar-Oct and owners told me if I wanted to do work on my car after hours I was welcome to use shop. Happy face

Comment

I worked doing at this building this place pretty much from Mar-Oct and owners told me if I wanted to do work on my car after hours I was welcome to use shop. Happy face
                      nice! the best shop is someone elses to use!

i have lost track of all the different cars that have been in the air in my shop since i built it 4yrs ago..

75 M2
                      88 M3

Comment

You guys are killing me.
                        1990 M3

Comment

You guys are killing me.
                          give in to the force...come to the dark side!
                          75 M2
                          88 M3

Comment

You guys are killing me.
                            Place I posted is a commercial shop, not mine just can use it when I'd like after hours. Wished my nearby bases had auto-skills centers.

Marshal that's quite the nice set up you have now. Were are you residing these days, Imagine it's no where near NOVA....

Comment

• mlytle
                              mlytle commented
                              Editing a comment
                              New place is actually only a block from the old place north of Belvoir. Retired two years ago. Built the shop as my retirement "office". . You still in?
                          Working...
                          X