No announcement yet.

Every vote counts !!! Sign up for the 'RPM Act"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is about organizations, political clout, and public perception. If you look at the planet as a product, there are far more impactful ways to add value. This ham fisted approach will most likely cause more harm than good. But once again, it's not about facts, it's about perception. And to that point, will this ever happen or is it lip service on at least some level, to spur industry, steer oppinion and establish a real agenda.

In business, it's never really about, what it's "about" and make no mistake, this is business.
    1989 E30 M3 DD
    2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
    facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Originally posted by Lumanikus View Post
      This is about organizations, political clout, and public perception. If you look at the planet as a product, there are far more impactful ways to add value. This ham fisted approach will most likely cause more harm than good. But once again, it's not about facts, it's about perception. And to that point, will this ever happen or is it lip service on at least some level, to spur industry, steer oppinion and establish a real agenda.

In business, it's never really about, what it's "about" and make no mistake, this is business.
      110%! they have their hands in the pot and are deeply invested! there's a war against oil industries only because of who's invested in the alternative. "Environmentally" EV's have big downsides as well but at the end of day money is what drives ones determination and of course an E30 M3 !

Comment

100% agree - well said.

Originally posted by idickers View Post
        A counter argument would be that we all need to make some effort towards clean air. In reading through some of the proponents arguments, they seem especially angered by diesel guys de-smogging their trucks. I don't know if this is a reflection of the whole "rolling coal" trend, but diesels do seem to put out a lot of soot if they don't have those ammonia canisters. But either way, we are trying to compromise our love of performance with everyone's love of breathing. I grew up in Southern Cal in the 60's and 70's, and the air is orders of magnitude better now after CA enacted stricter emissions standards. So I have no problem with meeting tailpipe specs, I think that is reasonable. But I don't think visual inspections need to be there; just shove a probe up my exhaust and see if I'm polluting. How I get to spec is irrelevant.
        Seattle, WA
        currently:
        1988 M3 ex j-stock
        1984 911 RoW 3.2
        http://cars.g93.net

Comment

This doesn't make any sense. You want more nuclear power? Great - it generates electricity, which is what EVs use. EVs and nuclear are totally complementary - but unless we're going to run them on wires like electric trains and trolley buses, we're going to need batteries to provide a reserve of electricity.

And I don't think you'l find too may people concerned with climate change who don't also want to preserve wildlife and conserve land. But doing that might mean devoting some land toward solar power. In Washington, they've been taking down some hydro dams, which are great electricity generators, because they kill fish. It's a balancing act.

Originally posted by njboy View Post
          I agree.
          Also there is this one narrative, climate change. No concern for land conservation, wildlife preservation, or concerns of other forms of pollution that come from solar panels and especially batteries.

Also EVs are a step backwards with regards to energy density. We should be moving forward to more energy dense sources like nuclear. Not away. Through history man has progressed from burning wood and dung, to coal, to fossil fuels and then we should go nuclear. Batteries is a step back from gasoline and diesel.
          Seattle, WA
          currently:
          1988 M3 ex j-stock
          1984 911 RoW 3.2
          http://cars.g93.net

Comment

Originally posted by dreeves View Post
            This doesn't make any sense. You want more nuclear power? Great - it generates electricity, which is what EVs use. EVs and nuclear are totally complementary - but unless we're going to run them on wires like electric trains and trolley buses, we're going to need batteries to provide a reserve of electricity.

And I don't think you'l find too may people concerned with climate change who don't also want to preserve wildlife and conserve land. But doing that might mean devoting some land toward solar power. In Washington, they've been taking down some hydro dams, which are great electricity generators, because they kill fish. It's a balancing act.

What I’m referring to is the use of e-fuels or synthetic fuels. With abundant and hopefully someday cheaper nuclear power we could manufacture energy dense petroleum hydrocarbons. These fuels are carbon neutral since they use the CO2 in the atmosphere. Batteries using their current chemistry will never be used for long haul trucking, large construction and jumbo jets. I envision battery cars for commuting, luxury sedans and poser truck owners.
            There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Working...
            X