1999 Mb Cl500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Mb Cl500

I was considering one of these as a DD. What do you guys know about these cars? The MB forums don't seem to know jack! LOL

I'm capable of 99% of my own work so maintenance won't be an issue.

I need a new DD and this was one of the cars on my short list of cars to have.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Xmas!:chug:
    1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

I think it's about what you would expect: it will have good chassis composure and handle OK as long as you don't push it that hard, it will be built very well, it will need maintenance and the parts will be expensive, it will use a lot of gas, and it will be comfortable.
    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineRunner View Post
      I think it's about what you would expect: it will have good chassis composure and handle OK as long as you don't push it that hard, it will be built very well, it will need maintenance and the parts will be expensive, it will use a lot of gas, and it will be comfortable.
      I've had one myself for a couple of yeras and couldn't describe it better!

It is a GREAT car. One of the best I've had. You'll be utterly impressed with the car. If used daily expect a big mantainance bill every 6months.

Comment

Should get you from point A to point B.

They look solid and they're probably great cruisers. I looked at the numbers and they aren't too bad. The highway is reasonable, but the city does suck at around 15mpg. If you can get one for a decent price, then go for it. Otherwise there are plenty of other great cars that would be more suitable for DD.

Comment

An 06 CLS55 would be better bro. looks gangsta:idea:

Last edited by atan888; 12-25-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiko View Post
            I've had one myself for a couple of yeras and couldn't describe it better!

It is a GREAT car. One of the best I've had. You'll be utterly impressed with the car. If used daily expect a big mantainance bill every 6months.
            Whats every 6 months?

I forgot to mention. I live 1.5 mi from work. LOL

Originally posted by hamann View Post
            An 06 CLS55 would be better bro. looks gangsta:idea:

If i had your money bro! :OMG:
            1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

i know you will bro. just be positive :wee:

Comment

I love the looks of this car. Great looking modern Mercedes. Much Better than the new one which I've mistaken for the new Acura recently. :lostme:

However, I don't recall where I saw it, but I recall this being one of the most EXPENSIVE cars to insure. :shit: I think it was based on the original MSRP, which is ~$100K. I could be wrong about the insurance though. :chaired:

A quick google search confirms it's #2 most expensive to insure at Bankrate's article here:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...2.asp?caret=15
                1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

if you get this car you must:

1) get extended warranty from the dealer
                  2) only buy the car that has maintainence records

my dad had one of these, then he had 2002 CL600, they both had problems with brakes, power windows/door locks, hydraulics, power seats and multiple other electronic hick-ups, thank God for the warranty :OMG:

Comment

I agree 100% with Vlad here My aunt has owned two of CL's. The first was great :cycle: and the second has been nothing but problems :shit: It's gotten to the point she's going to switch brands :cycle:
                    1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                    1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                    1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Were they both after 2000? I had the opinion that this was the last of the good benzes (for a while)

This is great feedback. Keep it coming guys! You guys are doing wayyyy better then the Benz board. :hee:

S14 for life!
                      1988 Diamantschwarz

Comment

I know it's not exactly the same, but I DD a 1999 SL500. Size wise they're roughly the same and they share the same drive train (M113 motor & auto tranny), so they probably behave similarly on the road. I would definetly echo the extended warranty concern as the parts and service for these come at a premium. Also, the insurance company I use (USAA) placed it in a higher payment bracket as the initial cost of the car was very high... Overall, I've been real happy with the vehicle. The only hiccup I've had has been a carbon cannister senser that went out and the motor mounts were replaced. The ride is firm, but I wouldn't say that it's a sports car by any means. I'd say its a great cruiser (which is what I bought it for) that is comfortable enough for daily use. Maintenance costs really haven't been an issue as most everything has been covered under warranty. Oil changes are fairly simple, you just gotta find someone to reset the service interval light.... I guess if I was to have a complaint, it would be that the selection of performance parts is limited.
                        Last edited by roberte; 12-26-2007, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Insurance wont be your issue but extended warranty is a must bro.

Comment

Criss - Ping me offline. My second book was a Buyers Guide on MBZ and I covered this chassis in it.

Cheers,
                            fL

Comment

Bro get this instead older E55 its a better car.

Not mine

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/519800888.html

Comment

Working...
                              X