No announcement yet.

Danica Patrick won the Indy Japan 300.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danica Patrick won the Indy Japan 300.

MOTEGI, Japan -- Danica Patrick became the first female winner in IndyCar history Sunday, taking the Indy Japan 300 after the top contenders were forced to pit for fuel in the final laps.

Patrick finished 5.8594 seconds ahead of pole-sitter Helio Castroneves on the 1.5-mile Twin Ring Motegi oval after leader Scott Dixon pitted with five laps left and Dan Wheldon and Tony Kanaan came in a lap later.

"It's a long time coming. Finally," Patrick said. "It was a fuel strategy race, but my team called it perfectly for me. I knew I was on the same strategy as Helio and when I passed him for the lead, I couldn't believe it. This is fabulous."

Full story on ESPN:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=3355226

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

That is AWESOME! It will do wonders for the series... she'll be in NASCAR before we know it if she keeps winning
    1990 e30 m3

Comment

my friend ordered bunch of CDs with Top Gear episodes (full 1 hour movies), it's just too funny about all the comments they make about the racing in America, ovals and nascrap, etc... racing in circles is a circus
      I want to see a chick win a round in WRC or Moto GP, that would be awesome !

Comment

+1 -- MOTO GP, I would love to see that too!!!

Comment

It took a long time for her to get a ride on a team that is truly a contender.. Congrats to her... I imagine she will win many more.
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
            It took a long time for her to get a ride on a team that is truly a contender.. Congrats to her... I imagine she will win many more.
            Yeah I think she just had to break the ice - I think she should really become a solid performer in the series with the monkey off her back so-to-speak.
            1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by vlad View Post
              my friend ordered bunch of CDs with Top Gear episodes (full 1 hour movies), it's just too funny about all the comments they make about the racing in America, ovals and nascrap, etc... racing in circles is a circus
              OT but, where did he order those from???

Comment

Originally posted by LopezM3 View Post

ditto!
                1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by vlad View Post

vlad,

It's already happened! Michele Mouton won four rounds of the WRC back in 1981 & 1982 driving the Audi Quattro, she very nearly took the world title in 1982.

Michele testing in 1981:

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by LopezM3 View Post
                    I am pretty sure he ordered them from UK because he had to buy different DVD player to play Pal/secam, but I'll find out for sure

Originally posted by autohabit View Post
                    vlad,

It's already happened! Michele Mouton won four rounds of the WRC back in 1981 & 1982 driving the Audi Quattro, she very nearly took the world title in 1982.

Michele testing in 1981:

Alan

yeah, Alam, I know all about it, she was a legend, but it was more then 25 years ago :argh:

Time for a change !

Comment

I did kind of think you probably knew that already vlad

A guy on another forum I go on had his photo taken with Walter Rohrl last year, he then admitted he didn't know who Rohrl was!

I just want another British WRC champion, seem as we were robbed tragically early of both of ours :sosad:

Alan
                      Last edited by autohabit; 04-23-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UofOm3 View Post
                        Yeah I think she just had to break the ice - I think she should really become a solid performer in the series with the monkey off her back so-to-speak.
                        Danica Patrick - who cares?

I think her Modus Operandi is blatantly obvious - she has used her looks to gain recognition, and in doing so has managed to overshadow the fact that she is lacking in talent compared to her peers. Between the ridiculous Peak motor oil commercials where she rev's her motor and talks about "peaking" (who actually buys into this shit?) and the photographic spreads of her stretched out in all directions, scantily clad on the hood of a hot rod --- she's a complete farce.

If she truly wanted to be respected as a driver, she'd concentrate on driving and would make it a point to NOT fall into the bullshit male-targeted marketing. It's like women who wear daisy dukes and tube tops to the mall, and complain about men / pigs leering at them.

She's an umbrella girl who has been given the keys to a car, nothing more. As a driver, she is uninspiring and out of her league. Her team won this victory for her.

And besides, there are plenty of better-looking women around than her.
                        -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

I don't normally post a lot, but I have to respond to your comments.

Auto racing has always been a sport where money talks and talent walks. If Danica has been playing up her looks to sell automotive goods it's just to raise sponsorship money because sponsorship money is what allows a driver to land a drive at a good team with competitive equipment. Sadly, good equipment makes more of a difference to winning and losing than racing talent when you reach the highest echelons of racing. Just take a look at how close Ferrari got to winning the Formula 1 championship with Eddie Irvine.

Sponsors will pay for what sells their product, and since most automotive/racing products are predominantly bought by men, sponsors are going to want advertising campaigns that appeal to that kind of market. She's just doing what she has to to please her sponsors and secure their backing.

Personally, I'm not a huge Danica Patrick fan although I don't dislike her either. I find her a little cold and she has a bit of an attitude (but then again most racers, male or female do). As far as women drivers go, I respect Sabine Schmitz far more as she's fast and seems funny and really easy going, but your comments about Danica being pretty background scenery who has been given the keys to a race car go a little too far.

Chris

Comment

Found a pretty disrespectful Op-ed by Greg Doyel. It's utterly obnoxious.

The writer is basically shitting on the IRL series, commenting that it's not "real racing,"
                            that it doesn't take "talent," and that Nascar is the best series in the country.

I might not personally enjoy any oval track racing series, but I know it "IS" racing,
                            and I know it does take skill. I find the writer's remarks really offensive because it
                            lacks respect, hope, and it comes on the heels of a great accomplishment. People
                            have to be given the chance to develop their skills, evolve, dream, and enjoy
                            themselves. The writer is a Debby-downer, and finds pessimism in other peoples
                            enthusiasm...

Here's a few excerpts:

the IRL is not real racing. Not real good racing, anyway. It's not the best car circuit in this country -- that would be NASCAR -- and it's not even the best open-wheel series in the world. That would be Formula One.
                            The IRL is the junior varsity of racing, is what I'm saying. Danica Patrick finally won herself a JV race, and that's good for her, and it's a neat story. The first woman to do anything -- the first man to do anything, too -- is always cool. But let's not take this too far, OK?
                            Winning in the IRL isn't a matter of talent. It's a matter of time. Race 50 times, as Patrick has done in the IRL, and you're bound to win eventually, especially when you have the best car and support team money can buy, as Patrick does.
                            That's called racing. :rolleyes:

The full piece (of shit) can be found here:
                            http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10793432

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Got to agree Magnus, pretty harsh comments. I remember when Danica used to race in the UK, she finished 2nd overall at the prestigous Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch (A proper racing circuit, so it can't be said that she can only drive on ovals) She hurt a lot of male egos during her stay in the UK, remember that the UK is 'the' established breeding ground for racing drivers eg Ayrton Senna British F3 Champion and Kimi Räikkönen British Formula Renault Champion - Both went straight into F1 and the rest is history. Obviously I'm not putting Danica in the same category as these guys but she did put on a good show, if she had not, she would have gone back to the USA, never to be heard of again.

Many people are quick to criticize racing drivers, but let's face it, not many people make their living from being a professional racing driver, the ones that do are high standard, make no mistake about that. If anybody got the chance to sit with any of them (Including Danica) then I'm sure they would quickly realise how good they are.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X