330ci sludge...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 330ci sludge...opinions?

My dad asked me to check his oil in his 2003 330ci tonight. When I popped the cap to add some oil, this is what I found:

Does anybody know what's going on here? I have never had a motor with rust colored sludge...so naturally I'm a bit worried. There was even some on the shaft of the dipstick...not a lot, but we noticed it. It had an oil change 10k ago(as per BMW's interval...despite my advice) and the motor only has 65k on it. Always used BMW synthetic 5w-30.
    Last edited by ShiftBMW; 08-25-2008, 03:16 PM.

I've gone through 3 E46s and they all had that brown deposit on the cap. I think it's normal for that car, unless I was hit with the same problem 3 times.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Have you owned this car since new? I remember a story on bimmerfest.com about a 540i that was a CPO purchase with huge sludge problems. Of course people jumped on the extended (up to 15,000 mile) oil change intervals as being the culprit.
      1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
      "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Sometimes you see this with cars that have short drive cycles (driven short distances) in humid weather, but usually only in cold climates. Water vapor gets in the oil and the car is never driven long enough to properly heat the oil to evaporate the water, which results in sludge. HTH

Comment

Just one more reason to change the oil as often as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
            Just one more reason to change the oil as often as possible.
            I don't want to start one of those how often is often enough for oil changes threads but I have to say, I've yet to hear that a modern BMW engine went south because it had 10K oil change intervals. I'll bet you his dad will squeeze 200+ miles out of that engine with his intervals.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Just change the oil once in between the reccomended service interval. I see cars with a lot of sludge from idling(livery cars) and short drive cycles, just drive the car longer to get the oil hot or change the oil moer often.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM View Post
                Sometimes you see this with cars that have short drive cycles (driven short distances) in humid weather, but usually only in cold climates. Water vapor gets in the oil and the car is never driven long enough to properly heat the oil to evaporate the water, which results in sludge. HTH
                I second what ColinM said but also add that the wrong oil can also do that. When valve covers are removed you can always tell which cars use the castrol 5-30 and the ones thats use something different.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

I had the same problem with my X5, Called the dealership, And they said it was all normal, The oil that was used was the dealers brand, So theres nothing to worry about.
                  -Tony-
                  1991 M3 10Km
                  1989 M3
                  BEGINS HERE

Comment

Cool guys. Thanks for the info! Sounds like all is well. Just wanted to double check!!!

Comment

Check out the pictures in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94785
                      1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
                      "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Working...
                      X