Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Money Making Machine" not “Ultimate driving machine”

read this on GermanCarFans and kinda bummed to hear this coming from BMW M

We are sorry to have to bring you the gut-wrenching news that has surfaced today. M Division boss Luwig Willisch has confirmed that the pure performance orientated E92 BMW M3 CSL will NOT make it to production. BMW believes that there will be insufficient demand for the model and will instead focus its efforts of the M Division on the M versions of the X5 and X6.

The lighter and more performance orientated CSL (Coupe Sport Lightweight) was expected to drop in weight by up to 100kg due to the use of much lighter materials for its components and rumours also stated a power rating of 450bhp-470bhp could have been achieved.

The news follows previous confirmations that the premium automaker will not create a rival to the Audi R8 or a production version of the M1 Homage concept, yet they still promote the the slogan “Ultimate driving machine”. Perhaps "Money Making Machine" would suit them better?

A special thank you to:
    archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

booooooooooooooooo hissssssssssss *breath*booooooooooooooooooooo*breath*ok give me one

Comment

gotta compete with porsche somehow

Real M3s have 4 Cylinders

Comment

thanks for the post. this is no surprise. joanna quandt would be the first to tell you. the e30m3 was the last car made before bmw lost their soul. recently i have spent extensive time, in person, at the spartanburg, sc plant. it is so sad. what they are tooling up for is a disaster (x6). then, to slap an "m" sticker on it is even worse. listen, it's over for bmw motorsport. never again. all that will do though is spike the value and affection for our beloved e30's. they are becoming more and more rare and valuable each day. when the e30m3 came down the production line (not. they were hand built), bmw had a requirement that in order to be even an accountant you had to first be an engineer. now, to be an engineer you must first be an accountant. sad. sad. sad. to the e30m3 though... rip it, rock on,... you've got the right one baby!
        the winningest racecar ever.

Comment

Originally posted by evans61 View Post
          when the e30m3 came down the production line (not. they were hand built),
          The E30 M3 was not hand built. They ran down the production line like the rest of the E30s.

Comment

Just like anything in life it's a cycle. Money becomes more valuable the more of it you have. Unfortunately with success there comes growth, with growth there comes a need to maintain that growth. BMW is now threatened by the current economic conditions in the world and they have to either make profitable cars or adhere to their old philosophy and shrink. Shrink means letting people go, a tough decision for any executive. Sooner or later that time will come, look at wall street, large empires are crumbling down, with that people are realizing that money is just paper, it comes and goes.

BMW will get back on its track soon enough, as a need of smaller efficient personal cars becomes more dominant over the oversized tanks. Building good machines is in their DNA, I bet the next Isetta is going to be fun to drive.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

BMW simply does not make cars that interest me anymore. They are all plush, heavy, gadgety, expensive (and ugly, arguably) rides that fair poorly on initial quality/reliability reports....

I would not buy, or even consider, a new BMW.
              Last edited by Ironhead; 09-16-2008, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                BMW simply does not make cars that interest me anymore. They are all plush, heavy, gadgety, expensive (and ugly, arguably) rides that fair poorly on initial quality/reliability reports....

I would not buy, or even consider, a new BMW.
                Truth :cry:

I couldnt even find a reason to get ANY new bmw since I started looking for a new car.

Considered the 135 for a minute...but its expensive for what you get.
                Last edited by ADA///M; 09-16-2008, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Very sad indeed, I was eagerly waiting for the new CSL ...
                  It really dilutes the meaning of "M" and M-cars all of a sudden when they start throwing M badges on X5s and X6s - which is clearly a pointless gesture aimed for marketing purposes.
                  Imagine if EVO magazine decided to run another article on the best ever M-car, they would have to sift through X5/6s and goodness knows what kind of ridiculous "M-cars" they are going to build.

Hate to say this, but I get the feeling that Audi S and RS cars have got it right more than the BMW M division ...
                  ///M Cars ...
                  '72 BMW 3.0 CSL #274/500
                  '87 E30 M3 2.5L
                  '90 E30 M3 Sport Evolution
                  '05 E46 M3
                  Others ....
                  '99 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 22B #170/400, '02 Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A #308/500, '84 Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX 20v

Comment

I suspect that BMW is looking at the pending beating that will result from the losses on their lease cars and the current economic downturn and cutting any project that are not profitable.
                    JD
                    88M3 henna

73T100C
                    97 540\6-Gone
                    2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                      The E30 M3 was not hand built. They ran down the production line like the rest of the E30s.
                      not so. the entire drive train was hand assembled. it was the only real m3. hand assembled as i said. not the same production as the regular e30. today, though, you are right, the m's come right down the same as the 3's.
                      Last edited by evans61; 09-16-2008, 03:55 AM.
                      the winningest racecar ever.

Comment

Yes, Audi today represents to me what BMW did in the 80's - they are innovative, edgy and sexy. BMW has lost its way as we know it, but I truly want to believe they still have it in them!
                        sigpic
                        Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

Oh oh oh! Can I play Devil's advocate for a second?

I can't say that I agree with everything being said here.

1. Are new BMWs too expensive? I'd like them to be cheaper, but let's look at the math. According to MSN autos, the MSRP of a 1989 325is was $28,950. In 2008 dollars, that's $51,150 (using CPI data). What's the comparable car to a 325is? The 335i Coupe with sport package? $44,375. $7000 cheaper and nobody can say the 335i is less car than a 325is. In fact, due to the growth of the 3 series, a 135i is a more apt comparison to the e30 325is. $37,525 for a 135i with sport package.

The huge popularity of BMWs has really brought the cost down. We also see tons of them running around because BMWFS used to be so good at leasing them. The brand has moved into reach of many in the middle class because of this.

2. Are new BMWs too heavy? As someone who likes to autocross, they are definitely heavy. But ask yourself this... are they lighter than their competitors? I would say yes. MB, Audi, Lexus <-- these cars are all barges compared to what BMW produces.

3. Are new BMWs too luxurious? This goes back to point #1 and certainly influences point #2. BMW is creating cars that with greater performance potential at lower prices. But to sell them, the cars need to have all the latest gadgets. It's the tradeoff that BMW went for... greater sales volume means R&D costs get spread across more units. The new M3 is an expensive car (too rich for me) but there is no doubt that the cost is kept down by selling the same chassis to hundreds of thousands of people in the form of the regular 3 series.

So... if BMW has jumped the shark, so to speak, then who will get your next new car purchase? Audi? MB? Porsche? Lexus? Or will you go with someone more mainstream?Mazda? Pontiac? Maybe more niche? Lotus?
                          Last edited by Thor; 09-16-2008, 03:51 AM.
                          1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
                          "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
                            Oh oh oh! Can I play Devil's advocate for a second?

I can't say that I agree with everything being said here.

1. Are new BMWs too expensive? I'd like them to be cheaper, but let's look at the math. According to MSN autos, the MSRP of a 1989 325is was $28,950. In 2008 dollars, that's $51,150 (using CPI data). What's the comparable car to a 325is? The 335i Coupe with sport package? $44,375. $7000 cheaper and nobody can say the 335i is less car than a 325is. In fact, due to the growth of the 3 series, a 135i is a more apt comparison to the e30 325is. $37,525 for a 135i with sport package.

The huge popularity of BMWs has really brought the cost down. We also see tons of them running around because BMWFS used to be so good at leasing them. The brand has moved into reach of many in the middle class because of this.

2. Are new BMWs too heavy? As someone who likes to autocross, they are definitely heavy. But ask yourself this... are they lighter than their competitors? I would say yes. MB, Audi, Lexus <-- these cars are all barges compared to what BMW produces.

3. Are new BMWs too luxurious? This goes back to point #1 and certainly influences point #2. BMW is creating cars that with greater performance potential at lower prices. But to sell them, the cars need to have all the latest gadgets. It's the tradeoff that BMW went for... greater sales volume means R&D costs get spread across more units. The new M3 is an expensive car (too rich for me) but there is no doubt that the cost is kept down by selling the same chassis to hundreds of thousands of people in the form of the regular 3 series.

So... if BMW has jumped the shark, so to speak, then who will get your next new car purchase? Audi? MB? Porsche? Lexus? Or will you go with someone more mainstream?Mazda? Pontiac? Maybe more niche? Lotus?
                            Well said, and one more point about the weight, unfortunately most of it is driven by the current safety standards and not much can be done by individual makers on this front. As you said, in the bunch of comparable cars BMWs are the most lean.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

I don't know if I got it across well with my first post.

I hate the idea of BMW making an M badged SAV, or anything away from its roots.

That being said, they know how to make their SAVs absolutely handle well, they are excellent vehicles. We have an 02 X5 4.6iS and I love it, one of the best vehicles BMW has ever made IMO.

So although I would much rather see an X6 "iS" than an X6 "M" - there is no doubt that an X6 "M" would be a very satisfying vehicle to drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X