"Money Making Machine" not “Ultimate driving machine”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M3Driver View Post
    I don't know if I got it across well with my first post.

I hate the idea of BMW making an M badged SAV, or anything away from its roots.

That being said, they know how to make their SAVs absolutely handle well, they are excellent vehicles. We have an 02 X5 4.6iS and I love it, one of the best vehicles BMW has ever made IMO.

So although I would much rather see an X6 "iS" than an X6 "M" - there is no doubt that an X6 "M" would be a very satisfying vehicle to drive.
    I agree with this 100%. Let BMW make vehicles with mass appeal but keep BMW M true to its roots.
    1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
    "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Originally posted by M3Driver View Post
      I hate the idea of BMW making an M badged SAV, or anything away from its roots.
      I think everyone on this site hates that idea. But unfortunately there is a larger population of buyers out there that want an SUV and would pay extra to have the M badge on it because it gives them bragging rights. Those people may not even know what M stands for in reality, other than it's a more powerful and expensive version. It's a marketing strategy to take a prestigious brand and stick it on to sell more cars. I wouldn't even be surprised if the m division doesn't really participate in making the car bearing its badge.

Maybe the next ///M is called Sauber.. ///S for short

1st there will be a BMW ///S1 (1 series based), then ///S3 (3 series based)... then it will all go downhill and you'll see ///SX6..

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
        I agree with this 100%. Let BMW make vehicles with mass appeal but keep BMW M true to its roots.
        i agree 100%.

About 4 months ago, i was ready to buy a new BMW and with the sweet discount and rates that we military get out here in Germany on a US Spec models, i was for sure thinking that i would be happy with one... and guess what.... i still have just my e30 M3, and no new BMW. they all are crap... i mean it. I even drove the new M3 and Z4M coupe and a 135i... and nothing did it for me, not that I was going to afford a new M3 or Z4M, i was thinking more of a 328i touring, and even that was too overly done to satisfy everyone at the same time!

I guess what I want the most from BMW and M, is to build true performance cars, for those that care and want "The ultimate driving machine".... let those who want a BMW with loads of "stuff" buy regular BMWs with tons of "stuff"... but for us, for people who want to wear helmets and driving gloves on the weekends, please build proper sports cars like they used to back in the 80s and late 70s.

That's all. and I hope I'm making scenes to you guys.

A special thank you to:
        archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

Agree with the Helmet and Adam....wouldn't even consider a new BMW for many, many reasons. Give me an e30 or any preceding chassis and I will drive the car but after the e30, BMW's did'nt appeal to me much.

Comment

I hate the prospect of MX6/MX5 (oh wait is this a Mazda?).

However, I love the new styling of the cars.
            I would drive any variant of the 1,3,5,7,Z in a heartbeat. The X-cars... not so much.

Maybe it's the age gap between the 20-somethings (me) and the over-40's (you guys)?

:duality:
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

While there a few newer models that interest me (135, M3, Diesel 5 series), I still love the older models. The E30 and the E39 5 series are my favorites. Like most, I have no interest in their SAVs.

Hopefully their newer cars will grow on me and I can pick one up later used.
              Ryan M
              88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
              07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
              05 Outback XT

Comment

I can personally attest that the 335i is heck of a car. It's just as fast around a 1.5 mile auto-x course as my m3. That probably underlines the true genius of the M3 given that it has 120-130 less horsepower and is 17 years older, but never the less in daily driving the 335i is just pure pleasure, the new engine and the suspension are on a completely different level. If they managed to shed 700-800 lbs that car would require a special license to operate.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                  I hate the prospect of MX6/MX5 (oh wait is this a Mazda?).

However, I love the new styling of the cars.
                  I would drive any variant of the 1,3,5,7,Z in a heartbeat. The X-cars... not so much.

Maybe it's the age gap between the 20-somethings (me) and the over-40's (you guys)?

:duality:
                  uhhh... im 24 and i dont like the styling of any new BMW. i think the newest BMW I would ever want and own would be a e46... and not the last few years of them either, the early rounded headlight looking ones.

A special thank you to:
                  archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

Lets face it. The M division became diluted when BMW created the M appearance package as an option.
                    1991 E30 M3
                    2007 Jeep Commander Overland
                    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

To me it boils down to this....

If I wanted a new, fast, high performance sedan and was willing to deal with less than stellar reliability, I would buy an Audi. I think today Audi is much more what BMW used to be.

If I wanted a new, almost as fast, almost as high performance daily driver that was comfy and I did not want to deal with anything less than stellar reliability, I would go Japanese, and probably get a Lexus.

If I wanted a quick, nimble, buzzy, unrefined, unreliable, temperamental toy/track car.....E30M3!!!!! BMW does not make a car like that anymore....

Lets face it....look at the people you see driving most modern BMWs. Generally, they know nothing whatsoever about cars, and are buying a BMW for the name and perceived "status". BMW is catering to that crowd, IMHO.

Comment

I opted for a Mitsubishi EVO instead of a BMW, and I am damn glad I did. Contemporary BMWs are bloated, expensive luxury cars, condemned by gimmicks and gadgetry that is neither needed nor desired by someone in search of 'the ultimate driving machine'.
                        2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                        1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                        1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan M View Post
                          While there a few newer models that interest me (135, M3, Diesel 5 series), I still love the older models. The E30 and the E39 5 series are my favorites. Like most, I have no interest in their SAVs.

Hopefully their newer cars will grow on me and I can pick one up later used.
                          Hear, hear.....the last BMW I bought probably also my last, was the last year of the e39....a 530i. BMW has to show me something that will say..."Take me". So far, nothing. I am glad that I was able to find a 5 spd E39 in times like these where manuals are considered dinosaurs. Maybe the next car would be more to the future of eco-friendly powertrain & fuel...whatever that may be....but good thing, I still have my M3 to keep me happy.
                          Last edited by Das Boots; 09-18-2008, 08:34 AM.
                          Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
                          '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
                          '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
                          '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
                          '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
                          '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
                          '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Any of you guys driven the new M3? After giving a 6spd manual car a severe beating, I noticed a few things:

+: Grip is surprising considering the weight and relatively skinny tires (245 front). Seatbelt "senders" are pretty neat. Seat adjustments are nice. Lots of revs.

-: No clutch feel, no steering feel (can't stress this enough), no gearbox feel, no feel from any input. Rubber links used for tie-rods? As far as gearing/power/weight; BMW didn't get it right IMO. Considering the weight, the gears are too long (needs a 4.10 not a 3.64), flywheel is a boat anchor, and the overall package just doesn't work. After several 0-100 pulls shifting at redline, we were thoroughly disappointed.

If I were in the market and didn't know squat about BMW or Motorsport, I might be impressed. However, having been around almost every Motorsport product conceived, I was expecting a lot more. Bring back the glory days.

318is 2litre

Comment

Changed sig for this thread. They came down a line, the end.

It's always been about the E30, it was designed before the bean counters took over engineering. As for the new M cars? I'll hold my decision until the new M variant of the 1 series platform.

That will be the one that holds all the cards for the future of M.
                              Last edited by OnrailsM3; 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                                I opted for a Mitsubishi EVO instead of a BMW, and I am damn glad I did. Contemporary BMWs are bloated, expensive luxury cars, condemned by gimmicks and gadgetry that is neither needed nor desired by someone in search of 'the ultimate driving machine'.

Yeah the Evo IX is a very fun car with quick steering and that "raw" feel that the E30 M3 has.

As for the new M I think that BMW should make a modern S14 with perhaps a turbo and make it small and less than 3K lbs. That would be awesome. I think the 1 series is going in the right direction and will be interesting to see the M version of that car.
                                There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Working...
                                X