• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't JB weld your suspension back together

Idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpKOGaFqAuQ

Jake

That is one of most dangerous and silliest things I've seen for a while! I replace things on my suspension regularly and still I'm obsessed with something failing...

Comment

So, ok. He's an idiot. But we have to be missing somthing. I don't see how JB welding the control arm bushing could cause the bracket to brake. I think he did something else, equally idiotic, to cause it to fail.

Comment

I seems like he glued it solid. If I understand those bushings correctly, the 2pc bushing is designed to rotate in itself. If it was glued solid it would resist this. So as the control arm pivoted up and down it would stress the lollie pop bracket. Repeated flexation and snap. That's the only thing I can think of.

Jake

Comment

A person knowing how to operate a lift jack without any understanding of mechanical engineering is a dangerous combo.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
            I seems like he glued it solid. If I understand those bushings correctly, the 2pc bushing is designed to rotate in itself. If it was glued solid it would resist this. So as the control arm pivoted up and down it would stress the lollie pop bracket. Repeated flexation and snap. That's the only thing I can think of.

Jake
            Oh, got it. The E46 control arm is keyed into the sleeve in the bushing. I was thinking E30 style

Comment

wow..if it wasn't so dangerous, and stupid...it would be funny.
              I spend all my money on beer, cars, guitars, and women....the rest is just wasted.

Comment

The results of the steep depreciation curve for the E36, E46, and soon, the E9x BMW cars. Accessibility for little $$.
                I guess that is what happens when you change your slogan from "The Ultimate Driving Machine " to: JOY

m

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark View Post
                  The results of the steep depreciation curve for the E36, E46, and soon, the E9x BMW cars. Accessibility for little $$.
                  I guess that is what happens when you change your slogan from "The Ultimate Driving Machine " to: JOY

m
                  Steep depreciation curve for E36 ? hmm... sorry.. I missed those years... E46 as well, since they are newly becoming affordable at 15-20K and they are over 8 years old. The depreciation of those models may be a CONTINUING curve, but it did not start out steep. With regards to you comment about slogan.... so... do you think the UDC moniker still applies and that BMW should retain it? :evilnah:
                  Mark Williams
                  Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

he's lucky to have it happening to him on a track instead of on the way down on a public road...

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
                      Steep depreciation curve for E36 ? hmm... sorry.. I missed those years... E46 as well, since they are newly becoming affordable at 15-20K and they are over 8 years old. The depreciation of those models may be a CONTINUING curve, but it did not start out steep. With regards to you comment about slogan.... so... do you think the UDC moniker still applies and that BMW should retain it? :evilnah:
                      You're right, Mark. The UDM slogan is no longer BMWs premise.
                      Yeah, I believe the dish washing detergent name is painfully appropriate, or pretty slick(Per Der Neu car Buyer)(Or would that be ...Truck) :gotcha:

m

Comment

Did you see one of the comments, I was thinking the same thing. I though it was a M3 at first but it was just a bastardized 328ic made to look like its big brother. I thought that was pretty funny. At least it didn't have M3 badges trying to pose like it was. I just shake my head when I see the ///M logo on cars where they don't belong. Although BMW slaps that logo on basically everything and charges a few extra grand on top of the sticker. It now has become short for money and not motorsport anymore.
                        Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

Working...
                        X