Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior or Ford SVT Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior or Ford SVT Raptor

Just curious. Got any owners here? Opinions welcome. I've been considering buying a truck lately.

Jake

Ugggh, you really want to drive around at 12 mpg? They look great but in my opinion f150 ecoboost is the best way to go if you dong want a diesel

I love trucks, have a Tacoma that is great for a small pickup and an f250 that is great for hauling

If you are only interested in the two I would get the raptor

Comment

i have a 04 Tundra and its a GasHog and its a 4.7 my Boss has the 5.7 and i he ges a better gas millage but i drive hard
      Last edited by GK-E30M3; 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM.
      91 M3 AW 2.5 CR Dogleg
      88 M3 AW Track Car s54
      95 525 Touring M52 Turbo
      04 Toyota Tundra

Comment

I love Tundra's also but have held off because they are gas hogs, as mentioned above.

Comment

Jake,

What are yo planning on using it for? Daily driver, tow vehicle or work truck or all of the above??

Either trucks are great vehicles and you can't go wrong. But the Ecoboost motor is also a great choice and is better in fuel. I have a f-350 6.0L turbo diesel crew cab short box single rear wheel and it get 17 miles per gallon on highway and 12 to 13 city. One thing I do recommend is get a crew cab I would never buy a pick-up thats not crew cab.

Hugo
          Photobucket

Comment

Jake, the Raptor sucks at towing, so if your even slightly thinking about pulling an M3 to the track, I'd skip it.... It does look totally badass though.

For the price of either of those, I'd possibly look at a 06ish 2500hd chevy. You can find nice ones for 25-30k or cheaper if you take a short trip to L.A.

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
            they are not idiots.

Comment

Jake, I owned a new Tundra for about two years right after they were released.

Overall, I didn't really like it. The gas mileage (lack thereof) drove me crazy, and that was around 2001 when gas was much cheaper. It got like 13 MPG. There were no real problems with it...typical Toyota build quality....but I was always looking for an excuse to get rid of it. I did not enjoy driving it, and I concluded the advantages to having a truck were greatly outweighed by the disadvantages.

BUT...it was my DD. If I could have owned a truck as a second vehicle to be driven only when I needed a truck, it might have been a different story.

This is not intended to be critical of the Tundra...what I am saying would apply to all full-sized trucks.

Comment

why not a bmw suv or a wagon ?
                bought my first x3 handles like a car more room to put stuff can tow something.
                a bmw wagon has room to put things in it.
                I owned a few trucks and sometimes want one but the gas mileage,handling and ride detours me.Trucks I think about sometimes are old volkswagon diesel truck.
                I Owned a 1956 f100,1982 toyota,1990 ford ranger.1999 f 150, and 2000 gmc siera.
                Best luck on your search out the two you said I get the ford
                I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I need it.

I've been driving a wagon for nearly 9 years now. Great all around versatile vehicle. But I need to tow and it just doesn't have the capacity. According to law that is. Pisses me off because I know it can (did for years in the UK).

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                    Thanks for all the input guys. I need it.

I've been driving a wagon for nearly 9 years now. Great all around versatile vehicle. But I need to tow and it just doesn't have the capacity. According to law that is. Pisses me off because I know it can (did for years in the UK).

Jake
                    Jake,

Depending on how often you need to tow... if not too often... it maybe just as easy to rent something from say Enterprise, Budget, Hertz or Uhaul....

That way you can keep the wagon... 540i Touring here we come again! :Jake:
                    1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                    1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                    1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

A 07+ 5.7L Tundra is amazing.
                      We log probably 10k+ miles a year towing... 24' enclosed trailers, open trailers, off-shore powerboats, etc. Average 14mpg when towing an open trailer with an E30.

The engine is amazing, the interior is fantastic. I've done plenty of 10+ hour days trailering, and you get out without fatigue. It's more comfortable on longer trips than some of the HD F-Series trucks on the market. It does need some air bags in the rear if you plan on towing heavy loads, as the tail will squat with a heavy steel enclosed trailer.
                      The brakes are great, and it's not "that big" to drive around town.
                      The single "must have" is the back-up camera if you plan to tow frequently. Hooking up to any trailer takes 3 minutes or less.

Also, go for the TRD package. The Rock Warrior package is really just a graphics and wheel/body paint package. You're better off with the TRD setup.

The Raptor is not meant for towing. It looks cool, but isn't the tool for the job.

Just my humble pie.
                      Also, look at a used 2500HD GMC. Mick uses one for towing, and I'm pretty sure he loves it.
                      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                        Just my humble pie.
                        Also, look at a used 2500HD GMC. Mick uses one for towing, and I'm pretty sure he loves it.
                        Love it. All 650 ft lbs
                        http://www.s14.net/photopost/showpho...224&ppuser=438

Comment

I would look at it this way, the Tundra is easily a 200,000 mile rig. The Ford, 100k....I own two Toyota 4.7's and have never seen anything under 15mpg. If my Tundra was only getting 11mpg, I would talk to Toyota. Even my Fj 80 get's 13 mpg with 35 inch tires and 4:10 gears.....Just my 2 cents....

Comment

Originally posted by 88M3 View Post
                            Jake,

What are yo planning on using it for? Daily driver, tow vehicle or work truck or all of the above??

Either trucks are great vehicles and you can't go wrong. But the Ecoboost motor is also a great choice and is better in fuel. I have a f-350 6.0L turbo diesel crew cab short box single rear wheel and it get 17 miles per gallon on highway and 12 to 13 city. One thing I do recommend is get a crew cab I would never buy a pick-up thats not crew cab.

Hugo
                            Dont believe the ecoboost hype. I just bought one and put about 1400 miles on it 90pct highway and am only getting 15mpg. 2012 F150 Supercrew FX4 with 3.73 rear.

Jake,

The Raptor is a badass truck but ive heard real world mpg is about 12.
                            Im doing the family thing now and needed the crew cab and like toys so the Ford fit my bill. But if I had to do it over again I think i would go for a loaded LBZ code Duramax equipped Chevy 2500hd.

Comment

While I looked at the Raptor, I ruled it out in favor of an F150 Lariat 4x2 Ecoboost. I've had many F150's, and I love the torque and towing capability of this truck. I go to VIR a lot, and it is a very steep hill type of tow. Have a 24' enclosed trailer I pull with it, and it is great. A lot better than the 5.4 L I used to pull iit with. Just bought some airbags to help with the squat, and it seems to be the right choice for me. I just wish the 36 gal tank was ava for it.
                              sigpic
                              '88 Lachssilber

Comment

Working...
                              X