Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did any Evo 3's come with 1989 build dates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did any Evo 3's come with 1989 build dates?

Thank you guys. If this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

AC79000-AC79005 were build from 13.12.1989-18.12.1989

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

So essentially 5?

Comment

Looks like 6 to me.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CleanAzzE30z
          So essentially 5?
          yes....then it was holiday time here in germany
          next models starts on 12.01.1990.....
          Last one was build 23.02.1990

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo M3
            Looks like 6 to me.
            :idea: Youre right. Math is definitely not my strong suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus
              yes....then it was holiday time here in germany
              next models starts on 12.01.1990.....
              Last one was build 23.02.1990

Markus
              Thanks Markus. I respect youre knowledge.

Comment

Im so pissed I sold my airbag steering wheel.

Comment

why? you need one? I have one sitting in my garage. make an offer ..

Comment

I have been rading your posts, and it seems like you are interested in bringing in a Sport Evo? I have talked to a lot of people about this and generally keep comming up with the same conclusion. It is nearly immpossible to do. There is exactly one authentic Sport in the US and that was by mistake. I know that several people have applied to bring one in and all have been rejected.

James Liu is (LJames) is very knowledgeable on this subject matter and may be able to help....Let me know if you find anything positive out.

Cheers!

Comment

They were rejected because?

One could bring one over without any problems but you have to register it as a 'racecar', correct?

Comment

I've read a few times around chat boards how hard it is to bring back a evo's to the USA, But what about the future?, Say in 4-5 years from now?. The evo will be about 20 years old, Surley classic car rule or somthing can work?, Or maybe some changing in the USA laws?. It may be hard now, But if there is a way in the future, That can give evo fans some hope, That would be great.
                        Evo

Comment

This only applies to show status / unmodified status.

I am in the process of trying to find out why the petitions were rejected - will eventually do a FOIA request (if I motivate). I am also curious to find out who put the original request together. I am guessing some SIG members. To find out what they did and what materials they have may help a second appeal. Basically, you have to prove the car is substainstallially different than both the US Coupe AND a cabrio.

You can't bring it in as a race car. To do this it has to be an official factory race car (like a DTM). However, the grey (gray) area here is that if you can prove the car was created as an homolgation special then you have a a small hook. Though I can't get anyone to give more info on this yet.

In regards to a car being older. "Motor vehicles not more than 25 years old must conform to the Department of Transportation (DOT) motor vehicle safety standards that were in effect when these vehicles were manufactured." So we still have 10 years...You can bring in a BMW CSL 'batmobile' easier than an EVO for those curious for this reason.

The one REAL way to get one is that I have confirmed is that if the EVO was owned by someone famous (or someone of historical significance, or the car is of historical significance) you can get it in as show. For example, the king of sweden owns an E46 M3 CSL, you could import that car into the states (though he just wrecked it). Anyone famous own an E30 M3 Evo out there? This is the only thing even close to a legal loop hole. Im leaving out the few sketchy ways.... Wacked as it sounds its the best bet of getting one into the country not moded and as show. BTW I call dibs on the EVO owned by a famous person.

Comment

ive always wondered in this subject...what exactly qualifies as "a car"?? the shell with the vin stamped on it? could someone creative just ship pieces of a car over and register it as some sort of kit car???? maybe this is one of the "sketchy" methods pt///m3 was talking about? i dunno
                            1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

I think these are out there, but more info on importing for racing.

To import a racing vehicle into the United States on a permanent basis, you must: Obtain from the vehicle’s original manufacturer a letter stating that the vehicle was originally manufactured as a racing vehicle.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...ng/Racing.html

And this from the Federal Register on what makes a car eligible for show via the historical route...

Association with historical personages that would create a desire in the public to see the car is also considered relevant in the agency’s interpretation of the word ‘‘show.’’ Examples of vehicles that might qualify under this exemption are high technology vehicles such as the McLaren F1, or certain types of Porsches or Ferraris that were never, in the first instance, sold in the United States. We might consider a vehicle owned by the Pope, the Queen of England, or some other important figure to be a vehicle of historical significance.
                              Last edited by pt///m3; 09-03-2005, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X