320is dyno results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 320is dyno results

I tagged along to a rolling road day at AMD with a few mates from a VAG group, elite100.co.uk. Cracking day, great bunch of people.

Had my car put on the rollers and this was the result:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adrunatAMD.jpg

This is FW power, RW power was 139bhp. not quite what i was expecting! Its a 320is with AN and a CF intake.

According to them its now producing less power than a standard 320is, alot less!

Does this sound right to you lot or is AMD a little pessamistic?!?
    '88 320is
    '88 M3 EVO II - gone but not forgotten : (

Did your mates get correct results?
    Gunni.
    With great challenges comes great engineering.

Comment

everyone was down a bit (5-10bhp) but still within reason, apart from my mate in his alfa V6 who got spot on book figure although his is modded with a CF airbox and center box removed.
      A new Audi RS4 was 70BHP down!

I was expecting at least 160BHP RW power.
      '88 320is

Comment

Originally posted by jonnys
        everyone was down a bit (5-10bhp) but still within reason, apart from my mate in his alfa V6 who got spot on book figure although his is modded with a CF airbox and center box removed.
        A new Audi RS4 was 70BHP down!

I was expecting at least 160BHP RW power.
        I would not feel too gutted about it.
        Did you optimise the suspension for the dyno?

The real test is catching more powerful machinery on a track day...This what you and the car can do as a team.

Dyno numbers are for the ego although they do tend to make liars out of a lot of add-on companies.

If the car runs good, no worries.

m

Comment

didn't touch the suspension, just went for the kick of it, show the VW boys what 'the other side' is like!

Thats true, i'm happy with the way its tuned, the map looks good and produced some good looking curves, especially the pretty flat torque curve, she pulls well in every gear.
          My mates Alfa GTV has 50BHP more than me and i dont have any trouble keeping that honest all the way upto 130mph!
          '88 320is

Comment

Usually, the guys who can post nice numbers, will optimise the tracking, the tyre tread design, tyre pressures, tyre rubber durometer, so that the car does not tend to strain sideways off the rollers which bleeds off power as heat, keeps the largest contact patches for the rears on the rollers to minimise slip(more waste of power into heat).

They will dope up the fuel to prevent preignition and Knock and to make sure that the engine ECU does not retard the ignition timing due to a low octane or lean mixture.(Plus the car does not get as much cool air as it would on the roads)

Fresh plugs , wires. ign cap and rotor. A wetting agent in the coolant to drop those temps will also help conserve power and prevent losses from the coolant temp sensor telling the DME to retard timing, and also prevent hot spots around the exhaust valves which could incite preignition and inefficient combustion.

You do all you can to maximse traction, and all you can to maximise torque, and all you can to keep the engine at sensible temps.
            Every little bit adds up.

Your drivetrain losses are generally slightly higher than the front drivers as there is wasted motion and power drain from turning the extra weight of the driveshaft, plus the front drivers won't see the loss of traction from the nose lifting and taking weight off the driven wheels because they are strapped down.

m
            Last edited by Mmark; 04-11-2006, 11:07 AM.

Comment

hmm Ive always heard of AMD being VERY optimistic!
              If everything seems under control, then you're just not going fast enough...

Comment

Originally posted by caneswell
                hmm Ive always heard of AMD being VERY optimistic!
                Hush. i'm trying to keep him from being depressed
                m

Comment

How is the state of tune of the car otherwise?

Valves adjusted properly?
                  Injectors in good shape?
                  Exhaust in good shape?
                  Do you have any insights on AFR throughout the plot?

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL Kev
                    How is the state of tune of the car otherwise?

Valves adjusted properly?
                    Injectors in good shape?
                    Exhaust in good shape?
                    Do you have any insights on AFR throughout the plot?
                    Valves i'm not sure about but the shims were done 2 years ago.

Injectors were checked and cleaned about 6 months ago.

Just replaced the center section before the RR day with an oem one as mine had collapsed.

I checked with the data logging after the event and AFR readings are all optimal (12.7) at WOT.

Engine was checked over (compression test, etc..) about 5-6 weeks ago before i had her RR tuned and came back with a clean bill of health, the only issue to crop up was the exhaust, hence the replacement.

In short i'm stumped!

Is it just the age ('88) and mileage (120k miles) thats letting her down?
                    '88 320is

Comment

Valves i'm not sure about but the shims were done 2 years ago.

Injectors were checked and cleaned about 6 months ago.

Just replaced the center section before the RR day with an oem one as mine had collapsed.

I checked with the data logging after the event and AFR readings are all optimal (12.7) at WOT.

Engine was checked over (compression test, etc..) about 5-6 weeks ago before i had her RR tuned and came back with a clean bill of health, the only issue to crop up was the exhaust, hence the replacement.

In short i'm stumped!

Is it just the age ('88) and mileage (120k miles) thats letting her down?
                      Nope. Something has to be up. My stock 2.3L with 200k km turned a somewhat healthly 189rwhp and 167rwtq running AN with a CF box.

I would seriously look at the valve adjustment. ALso, what ignition chip are you using with the AN?

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

I'm running the standard chip as was told the 320is ignition chip is pretty good as standard.
                        would valve adjustment accout for that much lost power?
                        '88 320is

Comment

I do have to say that another garage rolling roaded her at 180RWHP and 160RWTQ but i thought that was a little bit too optamistic! i've 2 extremes going on here!
                          '88 320is

Comment

I do have to say that another garage rolling roaded her at 180RWHP and 160RWTQ but i thought that was a little bit too optamistic! i've 2 extremes going on here!
                            You could just average the two numbers...

But seriously, as mentioned earlier, what counts is how the car performs on the road and track. Even still, the car will need to be richened up a little as the AFR will change while in motion.

In the end, don't sweat it. ensure the car is in tip top tune and try a few different RR.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

test

140 cv at the wheels is the normal power for a 320is!!!

192cv is the engine power, but not at the wheels!

Relax!

Look in www.m3-320is.it the dyno tests under the PROVE AL BANCO section in the PROVE AL BANCO SU S14.NET discussion.
                              power is nothing without drift

Comment

Working...
                              X