Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying 320is engine

Hello.

I am an owner of E30 318is and have an opportunity to buy an S14 engine from an 320is.

My 318is is slightly tuned up to cca. 160HP and i am wondering if there will be such a great difference in perfomances if i installed this 192HP s14 engine? This s14 engine is not cheap, that is why i am asking you if it is worth the money ( kind of strange question on the s14 forum isn't it?

Bye

Not weird to ask about the Italian s14 at all, but asking if 30 additional hp (and
    torque) will increase performance IS strange?!?! It's rhetorical

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

changes are, though, that of those 192 ponies a couple will already have died after all those years...
      The difference will be that you can start tuning the S14, whereas with the M42 you have gotten all there is to get.
      If you plan going that route, you might be better of with the 2.3l version of the S14 as there's no substitute for displacement.
      You much would the engine set you back if I might ask and what is included in the deal?
      Does the 318is (or your car for that matter) already run the brakes the E30 325i ran? That's the minimum you'll need as those were the brakes on the 320is.

Comment

The only difference between the s14 in the 320is and the s14 in the M3 is the bore and stroke. They made it to avoid heafty taxes in Italy and portugal. The last time I checked the prices were the only thing that were abnormally different. I know because I want to rebuild mine in my 88' 320is here in Italy. But the only place to buy parts is from the states.lol. BTW does anyone have any idea how I can bring my baby home?

Comment

do it ! will definately be awesome. the iS comes with 325i brakes...will be fine with the s14
          JUNGL3

333i Sport - Alpina M52 3.3, E30 M3 5 Stud

Comment

Is your 318is right or left hand drive? as you will have to modify the exhaust header for rhd.

Comment

Just get the supercharger kit that is offered for the 318is and you will be light years ahead and with less money and hastle. The s14 is a beautiful engine but pricey when you do anything to it...

-Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by BBS16 View Post
                Is your 318is right or left hand drive? as you will have to modify the exhaust header for rhd.
                Has anyone done the swap before? is there a ready RHD header? or does one have to custom it?

Comment

no ready RHD header, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by pltfn View Post
                    Just get the supercharger kit that is offered for the 318is and you will be light years ahead and with less money and hastle. The s14 is a beautiful engine but pricey when you do anything to it...

-Kelly
                    I know this an older thread but since it's become active again....The Downing Altlantic kit has not been available for the last two years. This is because the SC is no longer in production.
                    Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Originally posted by browser View Post
                      Has anyone done the swap before? is there a ready RHD header? or does one have to custom it?
                      Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
                      no ready RHD header, unfortunately.
                      Is that the only thing that needs to be modded?? I'm interested in owning a 320is. Need to do some research before jumpin into it.. In terms of engine capacity,does that mean that we could actually port and polish them to a 2.3 or 2.5 ltr later(from a 2.0)?!?
                      Last edited by browser; 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X