Log Book Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Book Scam

I recently went to change the address on my logbook. When the log book was returned it had a different name on the book and a new keeper. On contacting the DVLA they advised it was an error and would change this information. A new letter arrived asking for proof of the car. Another call and again none the wiser as no information was provided.

I then called the relevant department the next day and advised someone had applied for my cars log book in April. I then was in a panic to think I could lose my M3, so after sending copies of the service book with the engine and chassis number, along with a copy of the vin and engine block with the number, 2 weeks later I received my log book. With the correct previous keeper and number of keepers.

The person who tried to obtain my log book has the alleged name of "Luke Walford".

I presume because the car has been sorned they are trying to obtain a log book to then make a standard e30 an M3.
    Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
    E34 90 - M5

New BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

sigpic

Thats crap admin on behalf of the DVLA .. to think someone can apply for a log book for a sorned car and DVLA don't contact the registered owner is poor. Especially when theres a name change.
    Happy for you that you managed to sort it ... but did they issue a logbook to the person named ?? if so your car may now be cloned..

Comment

Apparently they wrote to me, but because I had moved I had not received the request. I would like to think they have not issued another log book. When I spoke to the department that deals with these requests if the other part can't provide any proof, they would not have a log book issued. I asked about obtaining the details to contact the police regarding it. They have their own "in house" for dealing with this type of fraud.
      Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
      E34 90 - M5

sigpic

Comment

Interesting story. Although I'm from one of the colonies (the largest one), I don't know what a log book is. Any chance you could let us know what the contain. I gather they are required to stay with the car not the driver.
        Thanks

Comment

A log book is the document of the vehicle. It is not proof of ownership, just the title to the car detailing the cars vin, engine number and registration details. In the UK we don't keep the document with the car as such due to fraud if a car is stolen and then registered with someone else.
          Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
          E34 90 - M5

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X