Maxx Connection problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxx Connection problems

Well my ecu and my Maxx piggyback are finally getting power, but now my laptop is not connecting with my maxx AN unit. I have tried a USB to serial port adapter with my laptop, and also tried connecting with my desktop (moved it in the garage) that has the port built on the computer. I have also tried changing the comm. ports too. All with no luck. Has anyone had similar problems? I am running out of ideas.

bumping very old thread.

I'm now having the same problems. The maxx will connect very briefly and infrequently. I know the maxx computer is working fine because I disconnected it and the car fell on its face.

I also have checked the wiring, uninstalled and re-installed my adaptor and did a system check to show it is working just fine.

This must have something to do with Windows Vista. What is wrong with this thing?? FML!
    1990 e30 m3

Comment

I traced the problem to a bad serial cable. Once I went through a series of tests, Maxx over-nighted a new cable to me. Tried the new cable and it worked. My connection problem was not intermittent like yours. It was never able to connect until I got the new cable.

Comment

Thank you! I will go to Office depot tomorrow. I'm pretty positive it is a cable for a mac computer.
        1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by UofOm3 View Post
          Thank you! I will go to Office depot tomorrow. I'm pretty positive it is a cable for a mac computer.
          It's the only off the shelf item MAXX has in the kit! And I have seen a few off them not working. You also need to be careful when inserting the plug to the MAXX, I have seen some with bent pins, this will prevent connection as well.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

this is really strange but i got the car working.

zo i recently moved and i had the car towed to my house because the car wouldn't read the maxx computer. it was a pain in my ass but not that big of deal.

Finally got around to working on the car tonight. I checked all of the wiring connections and determined that my wiring was not the problem. I put the whole thing back together and turned on my battery charger to get some life in the car. I get out my netbook, plug the maxx into the lap top, put the car to full ignition and the lap top STILL didn't read the computer. once again - I thought I was screwed - WTF is going on????

so the lap top was almost dead and I have a power inverter for my lap top for when i'm tuning. So i plug the inverter into the cig lighter, plus the power cable into the inverter and lap top, and turn on the inverter with the lap top still connected to the maxx.

as soon as i turned on the inverter the laptop picked up the maxx and started running on-line with the car. WTF??? So i turned off the inverter and sure enough the laptop disconnected. long story short, if I have the laptop connected to inverter the car reads the laptop and everything works great. as soon as i turn off the inverter the laptop does not read the maxx or vice-versa.

what do you think could be causing this? I don't want to type all of my different theories out here but i think that somehow when i plug this in it "closes the loop" so to speak. there must be a short somewhere or maybe a bad fuse? I checked them but the fuses seemed fine.

at least I got it working!
            1990 e30 m3

Comment

So you are saying the laptop does not connect when running off the laptop battery? Try running an extension cord from the laptop into a wall outlet and see if it works. if it does not, then maybe the battery for the laptop is not working? That or maybe it is some sort of an issue with grounding?
              Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-16-2009, 07:54 PM.
              Mark Williams
              Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Check the power management/BIOS settings, maybe the serial port is shut off when running on battery.

Also are you using the serial port or a USB to serial adapter?
                Last edited by sector7g; 10-17-2009, 03:05 AM.
                -kevin

Comment

Originally posted by sector7g View Post
                  Check the power management/BIOS settings, maybe the serial port is shut off when running on battery.

Also are you using the serial port or a USB to serial adapter?
                  a serial to usb adaptor

i never had these problems until recently

I also plugged the lap top into the wall and it didn't connect to the car.

strange stuff!
                  1990 e30 m3

Comment

Dont take offense.. I bet you have already tried this stuff but... Are you always using the same USB port on your netbook? You are obviously trying the different COM ports in the maxx software as well. I have noticed that if i plug in other devices into the usb port I normally use, the COM port in maxx changes. I have also noticed that if I bring my netbook (Asus EEEPc 1000he) out of sleep while still hooked up to maxx, I need to unplug the usb cable and restart the maxx software for it to connect.
                    -kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X