Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil-On-Plug / EMS upgrade.

Hi all,

Simple questions: What's the easiest way of converting the ignition system on an S14 to COP ?

I conversion to Motronic 1.7 a viable proposition ?

Answers most welcome.

Cheers

Dave.

Well...no one has weighed in so I will try.

It is not really a simple question, at least to me.

Obviously the stock Motronic won't support COPs, and I don't think the "piggyback" systems like Maxx will either. I have never used them, but IIRC they are fuel map only type systems.

So...what is left....I believe you need a new standalone EMS system to do it. The prices on these run the gamut, but none of them are really simple or easy to implement.

Your question is the first I have seen regarding conversion to Motronic 1.7. I suspect trying to do that would be more complex than implementing a new standalone aftermarket system, but I don't really know any specifics about it.

Also, last I checked, there are no COPs that will simply plug into the S14 without some modification/machining to make them work.

Comment

Ironhead (I can't believe I just called you that !),

Many thanks for your reply. My understanding is that Microsquirt will do COP, but the question is, will it integrate with a Motronic 3.1 system ? ...and, hence my question about conversion to Motronic 1.7 (a la E30 318is), as this system is distributorless, and is a relatively easy conversion to full COP.

COP conversions have been done on a small number of S14s, but as you say not without modifications to COP units for other vehicles.

More thoughts, observations and experiences welcome.

Comment

I'm certainly no expert here, but will share my plans for an install over this winter. This should be a cost effective "DIY" oriented solution. It's not COP, but rather Coil-near-plug. Think of it as a poor man's alpha-n. Here's my planned recipe:

Microsquirt tied into the factory harness via any Motronic 1.0 ECU (a cheap old 35pin e28 ECU would work well). The ECU would get opened and gutted for the 35 pin connector.
        VAC 36-1 trigger wheel
        any GM VR sensor mounted to block
        S54 TPS switch and adapter for s14 throttle bodies
        4 GM LS1 coils - these include igniters and can be fired from the 4 low level outputs on Microsquirt

I'll run the factory plenum but replace the entire AFM/airbox with a cone filter. Microsquirt will run alpha-n, or hybrid alpha-n with the addition of a MAP and IAT sensor.

Comment

Bringing this back up. I'm getting ready (July) to convert my car from the stock ECU to a Haltech (have a friend that is running the same ECU so just doing that) to allow me to get rid of the AFM and have much more control over everything- and we're looking at coil on plug conversion. Anybody come up with anything in the last couple of years?

Comment

I think either Neel Vasaveda or Marc Norris (or it was a joint project) discovered a motorcycle coil that works pretty well in the S14. I dont have the specifics but I know its a motorcycle coil.
            Marc Norris has them on his and they look really slick in that application.

Im using BMW E36 / E39 era OBD 2 coils with S38 extenders and an adapter / spacer plate that was developed by Gustave Stroes. Had the motorcycle coil discovery been made when I did mine I would have gone that way as they dont need an adapter plate. The BMW coils also do not have drivers so if your ECU doesnt have drivers you have to add drivers.

I thought about the GM LS coils but I wanted to get away from wires of any kind. For the same reason I didnt look to hard into the 4 tower Ford style 4 tower EDS coils
            jimmy p.
            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I just ordered the COP conversion parts for the valve cover from Marc Norris this last year. It uses a Toyota/Lexus COP that are like $24ea.

T

Comment

really? I thought they were using a motorcycle coil. Thats good to know. Is Marc selling that now?
                Now I am intrigued as to why I thought he was using a motorcycle coil.
                Last edited by jimmy p.; 05-25-2019, 11:10 AM.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Excellent!

Typically Suzuki Hyuabusa coils are the ticket for the car- I haven't gotten any of them to try yet. We did try some of the VW/Audi 2.0 coils. They might be able to work but need to be extended and shielded...

Comment

Denso Coil Part # 129700-4400 w/ stainless extensions and valve cover inserts provided by Marc and covered with shortened e46 boots.
                    Attached Files
                    1988 E30 M3 S38
                    1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Originally posted by jibbajabba View Post
                      Denso Coil Part # 129700-4400 w/ stainless extensions and valve cover inserts provided by Marc and covered with shortened e46 boots.
                      Thank you. That might just be worth buying if he sells them separately. Regardless, thank you again.

Looks like the 4400 coils are from early 2000's GSXR's (kin to the Hayabusa.)

From a moto thread,

Coils (4 ea): 2002 GSX-R750 OEM P/N 33410-35F10, Denso P/N 129700-4400 (found on 01-03 GSX-R600, 00-05 GSX-R750, 01-04 GSX-R1000)
                      Connectors (4 ea): Denso Coil Connector, Seller's P/N FCCx1 (I got mine from this Ebay store: Denso coil connectors

The ebay coil connector link is expired but points to what appears to be good information, just a quick glance at the Advance Auto link looks like it points to electrical connectors...
                      Last edited by irdave; 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM. Reason: More info... For posterity.

Comment

What ECU are you using with those COPs? I assume it either has internal coil drivers or you use an external ignitor.

Comment

Originally posted by JimK View Post
                          What ECU are you using with those COPs? I assume it either has internal coil drivers or you use an external ignitor.
                          I'm using a Vipec V88 with 2 Bosch 3 channel ignitors.
                          1988 E30 M3 S38
                          1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Thank you. If I were to use those coils, an ignitor would be needed also. But now I am using LS coils that have ignitor function built in and are fired in sequential mode.

Comment

Working...
                            X