Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxx install - alternative to cutting the AFM harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick
    replied
    Updating this thread for the archives:
    My recently purchased MAXX kit came with a crossover TPS adapter, and the AFM connector doesn't require you to to cut the factory harness. So with the exception of the minor changes that you need to make to the ECU plug, the MAXX does not require you to cut the factory harness and is completely reversible back to stock.

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
    Can't find my info on where I bought the AFM plug at the moment, but for the archives:

ECU harness pin replacement -- these are great and I bought a bunch in two different wire sizes so I wouldn't have weird crimps around the ECU harness plug, to prevent issues. Worked like a charm. At less than $0.50 each, I bought a bunch
    https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...s=A105165CT-ND
    https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=A106304-ND
    Thanks for sharing! One day those links will die, so here's the part info.

First link:

Digi-Key Part Number A105165CT-ND
    Quantity Available 30,425
    Can ship immediately
    Manufacturer
    TE Connectivity AMP Connectors
    Manufacturer Part Number 282403-1
    Description CONN MINI MIC SOCKET 22-20AWG
    Lead Free Status / RoHS Status Lead free / RoHS Compliant
    Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL) 1 (Unlimited)
    Manufacturer Standard Lead Time 13 Weeks
    Detailed Description Socket Contact Tin 20-22 AWG Crimp

Second link:

Digi-Key Part Number A106304-ND
    Quantity Available 31,858
    Can ship immediately
    Manufacturer
    TE Connectivity AMP Connectors
    Manufacturer Part Number 183025-1
    Description CONN SCKT 15-18AWG TIN CRIMP
    Lead Free Status / RoHS Status Lead free / RoHS Compliant
    Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL) 1 (Unlimited)
    Manufacturer Standard Lead Time 11 Weeks
    Detailed Description Socket Contact Tin 15-18 AWG Crimp

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3
    replied
    Can't find my info on where I bought the AFM plug at the moment, but for the archives:

ECU harness pin replacement -- these are great and I bought a bunch in two different wire sizes so I wouldn't have weird crimps around the ECU harness plug, to prevent issues. Worked like a charm. At less than $0.50 each, I bought a bunch
    https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...s=A105165CT-ND
    https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=A106304-ND

Leave a comment:

• 1990m3
    replied
    I bought an afm connector and pins and converted my car back to stock last year. Got the parts from digikey, will post up the part numbers later.

It was easy, looks good and performs like a factory harness with new pins and everything. Itís not the kind of thing you switch back and forth, but after 10 years of having maxx on my streetcar it went back to stock very easily.

i also got new pins for the ecu and put those in where the maxx spliced in to make sure there were no goofy splices or working tyst could lead to trouble up the road.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Ron Checca sourced an AFM connector somewhere or had it made for him.
    He has made up a very nice harnesses in the past for the old Cyntex AN (I have one on one of my cars).
    I'd reach out to Ron and see if he can build you an adaption harness with E30M3 on one end and MAXX on the other.

Leave a comment:

• JimK
    replied
    Buy a couple Weather Pack connectors with the number of positions that you need. Use one in your MAF connector wiring and the other for your mods. Fully interchangeable then.

Leave a comment:

• Reelizmpro
    replied
    I know people have done it.

Leave a comment:

• enigmaticdream
    replied
    In your search don't forget to look for "porsche afm" since they have the same connectors as the AFMs on our cars. That might help broaden the search.

Leave a comment:

• Mick
    started a topic Maxx install - alternative to cutting the AFM harness?

Maxx install - alternative to cutting the AFM harness?

I'm considering installing Maxx Alpha/N on my street car and want to do it in a way that's easily reversible. From what I remember of installing it on my track car, the only non-reversible modification needed is to cut the harness at the female plug for the AFM and attach one that comes with the Maxx.

I haven't looked into this thoroughly, but was kicking around some ideas with Chris at VSR today. One thought we had was to find and old E30 AFM and try and salvage the male connector and use it as a replacement for one on the Maxx harness. Or better yet, source a new OEM male connector - if one ever came on a different make/model car.

Has anyone looked into this?
    Markus? You must know someone who has attempted something similar.
Working...
X