Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXX Software download

Hey all,

This might sound like a dumb question but can anyone shoot me the MAXX Automotive V3.28 software?

I cant get it to download off the MAXX site, it will only download the folders and files for maps (your own and the pre existing ones) and wont download the exe file for the program, unless there is some trick to it?

Ive tried two different computers with two different operating systems, i can download the early V2.25 software and that has the exe file but its the old program and my unit is above this in serial numbers.

Thanks,

The installer for v3.28 is a little wonky but it does install. If you ran the setup it would have made a folder in My Documents for storing maps but it doesn't create the Start Menu shortcut to run the application. To run it look in the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MAXX-automotive\Alpha-N plus Control

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mick,

I did search all folders using the search function but to no avail. it auto installs it in the path C:\users\user\documents\MAXX-Alpha-N-plus

Then in that folder it only has

A data folder - this has the maps in as above
      unins000.dat DAT file
      unins000 which uninstalls the program

there are no exe file for the program?

Ive searched program files like you suggested and there is no MAXX file....

Comment

The "C:\users\user\documents\MAXX-Alpha-N-plus" folder is expected, but it should also place an executable into a folder under "C:\Program Files (x86)"

It's odd that you're not seeing one

Comment

Yeah odd, 100% though its not creating that additional folder in program files on either laptop. One is a new laptop running windows 10, the other is an old dell i use for diagnostic thats running windows 7.

Is there any other ways to get the program?

Comment

Have you contacted Maxx?

Comment

C:\Program Files (x86) does not exist on Windows 10 (assuming it is the 64-bit version). You may have to manually create it, then try and install the MAXX software. You may also need to install the application with the "Run as Administrator" option selected.

What version of Windows 7 are you running? It may be the x64 version and if so will not have the C:\Program Files (x86) folder either.

I don't think MAXX can run on an operating system newer than Windows XP.
              1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

really sucks that this software is not being updated. so many cars are running AN and it is still being sold...but not fully supported. have to keep a computer running an out of date and unsecure OS around just to tune the car.

is there any hope this will ever be brought to current computing standards? even if no new functionality...just usable on a new computer with USB.
                75 M2
                88 M3

Comment

My suggestion would be to get a laptop with Windows XP installed. Here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-T...UAAOSwGSxfbDN5

These Panasonic Toughbook laptops are great because of the way they are designed. Unlike a standard laptop, these are ruggedized so if it does fall on the ground it won't break. You would dedicate this laptop to your MAXX software and never use it for anything else (i.e. browsing the Internet). Since it would never be connected to the Internet no risk for viruses, etc. Plus Windows XP is not supported by Microsoft any more so you would not be able to get further security updates - but that's OK.

Any updates to the MAXX software would require you download them to a USB drive from another computer and then transfer / install those files to your Windows XP / MAXX laptop (remember you don't want your WinXP laptop connected to the Internet). A bit fiddly but easily accomplished.

The laptop becomes part of the car, just like the tool kit or spare tire.
                  1990 M3

Comment

that is what i do, but we should not have to do that. old laptops are getting harder to find...and they break. and the displays burn out/fade. getting a copy of the old OS's is getting harder to do.
                    75 M2
                    88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                      that is what i do, but we should not have to do that. old laptops are getting harder to find...and they break. and the displays burn out/fade. getting a copy of the old OS's is getting harder to do.
                      That why I recommend buying one that is already configured with the old O/S and tested.

Yes - owners should not have to do this, the software should be kept up-to-date and be able to run on current O/S and hardware. Unfortunately this is such a niche product I doubt it will ever be brought up to current standards. O/S software evolves too quickly to make it financially affordable. Most software publishers who keep their software current charge an annual maintenance fee for doing so, or have other revenue sources that allows them to offer free software (i.e. Adobe Reader) and keep it updated.

Very much a PITA .
                      1990 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                        Have you contacted Maxx?
                        Yeah I emailed the contact on the Maxx website but no reply as of yet, it was Sunday after all so I’ll see if I get a response this week.

my Version of windows 7 has the program files (x86) folder and I’m admin.

I do agree with what you’re saying about having a laptop that is a tool, hence this old one for diagnosis.

Comment

If you take a look at the MAXX User Manual it specifically indicates the hardware requirements are:

Windows 3.11, Windows for Workgroups or Windows 95/98/XP/ME/2000
                          (This product does not work under DOS, Windows 3.0, or Windows NT)

Windows 7 is essentially Windows NT (same OS kernel I believe) so it is reasonable to expect that MAXX will not run (or probably install) on a Windows 7 (or higher) laptop. You are going to need to get yourself a laptop with WinXP on it.

1990 M3

Comment

Ok thanks, I’ll look into that. Maybe I’ll just get another hard drive and put Xp on that and swap them out.

Comment

You shouldn't have a problem running the Maxx software on Win 10. I'm running it on Win 10 x64. The x86 folder will exist, it's used to store 32 bit apps and is created on install. Running the installer with elevated privileges might help but in most cases it isn't necessary.

If you want to try installing on XP it would be simpler to use a VM.

Comment

Working...
                              X