No announcement yet.

MAXX Software download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mike, would you have a link for the adaptor you have? I might as well get both to prevent issues with connecting.

Comment

Just updating this one for anyone that may search.

The zip file gives you the latest Maxx Alpha N software, the description is just crappy on the site.

The cable for the Maxx unit is pretty specific and not the standard PS2 layout its wired different to the serial port end so a lot of adaptors wont work, i tried many adaptors for the Maxx cable which was PS2 like serial to PS2, USB to PS2, USB to Serial. In the end i had to make a cable. This was a DB9 serial port female wired to a 6 pin mini din male which wired pin 1 to pin 1, pin2 to pin2 and so on for all 6.

Maxx only actually uses pins 2 to 5.

Also advise getting a lap to with a serial port and XP.

Thanks

Comment

How do you make a cable? I need one but have no clue how to make computer cables

Comment

Its actually quite easy if you can solder, the only issue is that its quite delicate to make and if you go with too much heat when soldering you can end up melting the plastic on the connector.

If you buy those two ends I mentioned above then I just used some 0.5mm2 wire, 6 pieces to the desired length of the cable required, then solder the wire to the pins on the connectors. ideally get a large piece of heat shrink the length of the cable to finish it otherwise you can use harness tape.

google the pin outs of the connectors too so that you connect pin 1 to 1 etc.

Comment

Way back in the pc world the serial cables began life with 2 strands inversed for the old external phone modems (that's how old I am). We bought "straight thru' serial cables, pin to pin straight through, for machine to machine data transfer. I googled "straight through" serial cables and they are still available for less than $3. I don't know what ends are needed here (I don't use Maxx) but look around the internet for the one that fits. Seems easier than making up a cable.
            Here is a link to a cable supplier, but I don't know if the any have the right ends.

https://www.showmecables.com/by-cate...wcB&pinout=681

Comment

so I could in theory buy a straight through cable and an end adapter for serial to PS2 (for the maxx) and maybe it'll work? Straight through I assume means no pin swap so 1 = 1, 2 = 2 and so on...

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by JimK View Post
                Way back in the pc world the serial cables began life with 2 strands inversed for the old external phone modems (that's how old I am). We bought "straight thru' serial cables, pin to pin straight through, for machine to machine data transfer. I googled "straight through" serial cables and they are still available for less than $3. I don't know what ends are needed here (I don't use Maxx) but look around the internet for the one that fits. Seems easier than making up a cable.
                Here is a link to a cable supplier, but I don't know if the any have the right ends.

https://www.showmecables.com/by-cate...wcB&pinout=681
                The serial to ps2 adapter has to be straight through also or the "straight through" wiring circuit would not be lost in the adapter.

Comment

Bumping this thread as I'm in the midst of doing a MaxxN install myself and hitting on the same brick wall with the serial cable nonsense. I cannot get my laptop (without serial port...) to talk to the Maxx over the antiquated serial buss. I'm not very adept at soldering tiny wires to make my own cable. Has anyone found a plug and play concoction of cables and adapters that connect successfully with Maxx-N and a USB on a Win10 laptop? The other issue that I believe is hampering me is that I did not get a MaxxN cable as I bought this setup used and it was missing... Buying used has been quite a learning experience for me. TPS (GM Style) was 'missing' and now NLA, and the MaxxN cable is missing too...
                  Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
                  • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
                  • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
                  • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
                  • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
                  • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
                  • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
                  • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
                  • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
                  • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Ron, maybe try reaching out to Markus and see if he can send you what you need.

In the meantime, if you want to attempt making a cable it should be fairly straightforward. The thing you need to know is that in an off the shelf PS2 cable 2 of the wires are crossed where the max uses a cable that runs straight through. The Maxx also only uses pins 2, 3, 4, and 5.

You should be able to cut a PS2 cable and using a meter to check connectivity re-wire it so that pin 2 goes to pin 2, pin 3 to 3... You can ignore pins 1 and 6.
                    Initially, I wouldn't even solder them, just twist them together and check if you can connect first.

This thread has a little more info and diagrams.
                    https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...cable-pin-outs
                    Last edited by Mick; 03-09-2021, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Hopefully you get a response. If all else fails What I initially did was I had a PS2/PS2 cable then got a PS2/serial port adapter and just bridged the right terminals with pins, it was very crude but worked. It was just a case of figuring out the right terminals from the above info

Comment

Just an update, Mario Langston at VSR sent me his cable to use for a few days. It came with a Digitus USB to Serial adapter. I downloaded the driver for the adapter and hooked it up to my Win 10 laptop, and it worked like a charm! So, no need for an old Win XP machine with a serial port! This is quite a departure from the last time I tried using a USB to Serial adapter... It was quite flaky and more often than not it would not connect, or connect and then drop. So I wrote those things off, but it seems the technology has matured! With the borrowed cable, I was able to synch the MaxxN to the laptop and start to go through the setup steps. First stumbling block I hit, my TPS is reading 87% when the throttle is at IDLE! I bought this MAXXN setup used (stupid me...) and it was missing the correct TPS in addition to the cable. It's a first gen MaxxN with the GM Round connector TPS. I found a one that I thought was correct, but given that idle reading, it seems like it's not the correct one. I've been in touch with Martin at Maxx Automotive, and I believe what I need to do is send the unit back to him for closed loop update, and I will also get what's needed to convert the harness to the newer M50 TPS. With that and the new cable that Thomas Boyland is sending me, I'll be in good shape to take the next step. BTW, I found the Digitus USB to Serial adapter on Amazon for $18 and bought it since I know it works well. Can anyone say "baptism by fire"... that's what this has been so far!
                        Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
                        • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
                        • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
                        • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
                        • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
                        • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
                        • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
                        • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
                        • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
                        • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Always frustrating when you can't plug in and get to work, good to hear you worked it out. Makes sense to send the unit back for update. That's what I did with my 1st gen Maxx and it's been working great.

Comment

doing the update to closed loop is a "must do". so much easier to tune, and when you get the base map correct, the system can still make adaptions as needed to meet the AFR map.
                            88 M3 Henna
                            95 M3 Orange
                            97 M3 Techno

Comment

Good to hear you got it working Ron, it is so frustrating. I did post a picture of my TPS on your post on the FB page, I see you had a Bosch 406, mine is a 402 and works, but irrelevant now if you’re changing.

Chris

Comment

The TPS was wired incorrect. Swap the power and ground wires, then adjust for zero.

Comment

Working...
                                X