This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started Alpha N for the first time

Well...I pulled the battery off the tender in the basement, brought it out to the garage and hooked it up. Next I was off to get my laptop...proceeded to hook it up. I opened up the AN program, put the key in the ignition, turned it over and..............vroom. The car started right up!

This is good for a few reasons. The first reason being that I did my exhaust cam with a 264 (evo2) camshaft. Second, I replaced the starter and the voltage regulator on the alternator. These weren't neccessities...this was a 'do it while I'm there' thing when I had the airbox out. I purchased a CF replica plenum from John....great piece.

So...car runs great BUT I cannot get the idle to where I want it. I am just learning the AN so...I am sure that I won't get the idle right away but I do have some questions for you AN guys out there. My idle sort of cycles up and down and sits, more or less, around 1180 or so. What should I concern myself with? Should I concentrate on the idle page? Should I concentrate on the fuel page? Should I only be playing with the 11% position on the fuel page? The 2D idle page is kind of confusing to me...am I supposed to make the arrow go somewhere or just adjust the curve?

Can anybody post any screen shots for me regarding what their idle(s) look like? I found that car likes to stumble and nearly stall at any idle under 1000....do you guys experience the same?

I should note...this is with idle turned on and AN Lambda off (using TEWBO2). Any insight to the idle thing would be great. I have searched and do have data but please bear with me.

Also....I do not see my AFR? I see the little window but no number(s) telling me what it is. Is there a certain way to set up the type configuration? I am pretty confident that I am all wired up right and hooked up right? Am I supposed to be able to view fluctuating AFR while viewing my 3D fuel map? Thanks again guys!

Comment

I still can't get my AFR to display. I am confident that it's wired up right. One thing I did notice is that I unplugged the insulated WB02 wire from the TE and I had an AFR blip on my screen quickly. I am concerned that this might mean a lose connection? I can't imagine a loose connection...I really took my time to make sure that everything was crimped nicely. Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Comment

I was able to confirm today that the TE unit and the o2 sensor are working just fine. I have no idea why the AN display isn't showing me numbers. Is there some sort of special wiring that was/is needed on the motronic side to run WB in the place of the narrow band? A strange thing is that when I started the car...it idled fine for a few minutes then stalled.....an AFR number blipped for a millisecond in the window. Strange. Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

ok...well I know that I am talking to myself here but as I was sitting in the driver's seat trying to figure out why the hell my AN won't display the AFR though the window is there...I decided to pull the little green wire anchor out of my TE2CO unit and voila...all of sudden, I know have AFR's running in the window. Now how in the hell does that happen? All of the X3 connection runs to this wire board that presses into the 2CO unit(well all except power and ground for the unit itself but all outputs/inputs come form this board)? So I disconnect it and then it works?? Somebody tell me I am overlooking something obvious?? Somebody tell me I am a stupid idiot or something b/c this is driving me crazy. I am pretty sure that AN does NOT have the capability to show AFR without an external devic like the TE unit, correct?
          Last edited by ///Mflossin; 01-22-2006, 03:48 AM.

Comment

In an effort to continue talking to myself....does anybody know if motronic pin 24 should be disconnected if you are not running a NBO2 (stock sensor)? I am running the WBO2 in it's spot for tuning then I will revert to the stock unit. Does this mean that I have to leave 24 unplugged...then plug it in when I switch back to narrowband? Does anybody believe that this is why I don't see any AFR's displayed on the AN????

Comment

MAXX????

Comment

I can't help you what-so-ever, but I hate to see a grown man talking to himself. Uh, good luck?
                Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Dissappointing that with all the people that are running the MAXX kit there is no-one watching.

Good luck

Steve
                  Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

well MAXX was just on but apparently he either saw my post or completely ignored it. :sosad:

Comment

UweM3 Wrote
                      No Techedge, no Wideband. The MAXX is just DISPLAYING the value measured buy the Techedge wide band lambda controller.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...=WBO2+AND+MAXX

Perhaps that helps?
                      there are longer posts with much more detail in the thread from John.
                      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Chris,
                        Unfortunatley, that doesn't help. I have seen that post and nearly all the others. What is happening in my case is that I have AN hooked up along with the Tech Edge 2CO unit and accompanying WB02 sensor. I see the AFR window on the fuel map page of the AN but all it displays is "---." It should be dispaying AFR. Now...when I unplug the green wire connector base, all of a sudden I start to see AFR. This green wire connector connects the Tech Edge to the AN via the X3 connector. The only independant wires from the Tech Edge to the X3 are unit ground and power. The WBlin +/- are hooked up to the green connector which then plugs into the Tech Edge unit. You would figure it to be the other way around....NOT working when it's unplugged and WORKING when it's plugged it. I have no idea how the AN is getting AFR readings when the TE's green board isn't plugged in!!!

I am wondering if I need to unplug motronic pin 24...if the NB signal being plugged in is causing this issue. I downloaded the TEBLOC software and I know for a fact that the sensor and TE unit are working so it's either the AN or the wiring in the motronic.

John? Martin? I emailed both of you guys but haven't heard anything yet. Any ideas?

Comment

I guessed as much I was just trying to confirm your thought that without the connection of the TE you should not be seeing AFR's.

Are you running only one O2 sensor right now? Just the TE or are you also running a stock one? I know John mentioned you could read NB via Maxx at partial throttle?

I think John is still here in the USA somewhere on vacation, so I'm sure thats why he hasnt responded yet.

I wish I could be of more assistance, but the last thing I wish to do is throw out suggestions on a topic I have no first hand experience with. I dont want to be the guy who made your car go boom

Worst case, close it all up, and go grab a nice beer and watch Barrett Jackson...
                          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Chris,
                            I appreciate it. Yeah...I am watching the football game right now. I am just disappointed b/c we had some decent weather this weekend and my wife had the baby so I was free to do car stuff but haven't been able to accomplish shit. I am running one O2 sensor...that being the WBO2 sensor in the stock sensor location.

Of course, the stock sensor is out of the car and not plugged in. So...in short, I have the WBO2 hooked up to the Tech Edge which...in turn, is hooked up to AN. How can the AFR not show up with the Tech Edge plugged into the X3 connector but when I unplug the inputs/outputs (green cartridge) the AFR displays but then quickly goes down to a set limit? It makes no sense to me....all I wanted to do was get my idle squared away...I guess that it's better to find these issues not rather than in the early spring when I will really want to get out and tune the car but it's so frustrating b/c, in my mind, it's inconceiveable how this could be happening.

That's like plugging in the blender and it doesn't work yet...when you unplug it from the wall...it works just fine. I don't get it.

Martin read my PM but didn't respond...I assume that he doesn't know the answer either.

Comment

Continuing in this great tradition of speaking to myself, Martin indeed touched base with me via email. Unfortunately, the fix he offered (another AN software version) was not the problem. I still have the same problem. I am taking ideas in case anybody has any. I, literally, don't have any idea what could be causing this. I have gone back over the wiring schematics and really just don't have a clue...it's kind of spooky that it works unplugged. Maybe my car is possessed? Maybe the AN? Maybe the TE? Maybe me? Maybe my cat? The wife? T.V.? ....oh, oops sorry.
                              :rolleyes: :nahnah: :lostme:

Comment

Working...
                              X