This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UweM3
    Even if you are convinced that your wiring is spot on, I would suggest you check it again. If the AN is displaying an AFR with the 2CO disconected, there must be some sort of voltage going in to it.
    What if you disconnect the 2CO completly, no WBlin and NBsim.
    Do you still have a reading on the AN screen?
    The A/N at this point has an high impedance input with a
    capacitor in the circuit. This will keep the last applied voltage
    for a while if nothing is connected to. Thats normal.

(for skilled people)
    You can check this input, using a pot as a voltage divider with
    5 V reference (pin 2 - gray/white of X3).

What makes me thinking is the fact that you could verify the 2CO working with the Tewblog. If the voltage is that much out, where does the Tewblog get the correct values from?
    Tewblog gets its values over a serial data stream.
    So, if the TE works proper except the anaolgue output circuitry,
    the Tewblog readings will be fine.
    Guess there is one unsoldered resistor at the WBlin output driver
    (R216, R217, R218, R219, R220 watch http://wbo2.com/2c0/im/eng/tnr4-desc.gif ).

Martin

Comment

Peter at Tech Edge wants to send me a 2E0 unit. I assume this will work just fine. It has WBlin and NBsim output/input. Anybody have any experience with it? I don't see it on John's addendum. I guess that he is out of 2C0's.

Comment

That unit will work fine. It has WB+, WB-, and ground, which is all you need. And the built in display is very cool! Great for trouble shooting or checking your AFR periodically after you're done tuning.
        "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

sweet...yeah. I was kinda high on the compact-ness of the 2C0 but we will see what happens. Interesting, because I hadn't gotten a response via email so, I called and Peter was/is a nice guy. Even after the testing I did, he did appear a bit hesitant to think that it was the 2C0 causing the problem. It was a bit hard to understand him through the thick accent but I think he kept talking about the ground on the AN. I explained that the ground was at the ECU ground and it was secure connection. He seemed to think that if the ground wasn't good...I would see added voltage to the Wblin outputs. I assume that if the ground was bad enough to throw the output voltage off that much....I would experience problems with the car running/starting and/or the AN even working. I am pretty confident that the 2C0 was/is the issue. I can't see what else would cause such high voltage readings out of wblin, especially since NSbim was only putting out .5V. My guess is a bad amplifier of some sort but I know nothing of the electronics on this piece so....I'll wait to see what Peter comes back with.
          Last edited by ///Mflossin; 01-27-2006, 01:28 AM.

Comment

NBsim = 0.1V - 1.0V

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

NBsim = 0.1V - 1.0V
              right...and WBlin should not be 1-5V not 10.5V-15.5V!

Comment

new unit is sitting at the post office. I am going to sneek out of here at lunch (I think) and go pick it up. First thing I am going to do is look it up to the X3 and check the voltage out of Wblin and NBsim. God...I hope that this is the fix.

Comment

feeling pretty good. Just got home and hooked up the new unit and put the VW on it. With the ignition in the on position it Wblin reads 5.04 volts. I will try to start the car possibly tonight with the AN and see if I get AFR to display.

Comment

NICE!!!
                    88M3 henna

73T100C
                    97 540\6-Gone
                    2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Yeah...pumped that was an easy solution to the problem. Not so pumped that it cost me approximately $30 of my own money in return and receive shipping costs but I am sure that Peter and I will work it out. The unit is HUGE compared to the 2C0. I am not exaggerating when I say that it's 4X the size!

In my previous post...I meant (VM for volt meter, not VW).

crappy day in CT today....raining and cool so, I probably won't get a chance to start the car.

Comment

Well........it WORKS! Yeah. I am a happy man tonight! One thing I have noticed while trying to get the idle set tonight. The TPS is VERY sensitive. I have it set so that the green light is on for idle but when playing with the idle...it seems to be going in and out of idle. Once I turn the car off and actuate the idle by hand....the green light stays lit. Do you think that I need to play with the TPS still? I am thinking that I either need to move it another hair or I need to just slightly adjust the throttle linkage arms. I didn't take a feeler gauge to the throttle plates earlier but the car was rock solid with the stock TPS.

Atleast the unit works though.....that's sort of a relief!

Comment

Thanks for posting your troubles/soultion. it has helped me better understand the whole A/N and WBo2 process.
                          GraemeD

Comment

I wanted to update everyone as my unit was rec'd by Tech Edge yesterday. It was determined that an engineering change was not incorporated into the 2C0 unit that I rec'd. There was an issue with the board...I don't know if it was manufacturer/outsource wise or a CLI EC on the side of Tech Edge (assuming they do all their own boards from scratch). Anyhow...faulty unit from the start. FYI

Thanks to everybody who told me to re-check my wiring. :p

J/K...

Comment

wow, that sucks that you got a faulty unit. definitely more rare than screwing up the wiring. so the 2C0 WILL work if you get a good unit?

glad you got it sorted out
                              James
                              sigpic

Comment

yeah....if you get a good unit it'll work no problem. I have the 2E0 in there now an it's working flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                                X