Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• innovate to maxx

hi
    i'm installing alpha n next week along with innovate XD1 , LC1 wb02 , and i need some help with wiring ,
    innovate
    1- red 12v supply
    2- blue Heater ground
    3- white system ground
    4- yellow Ana out 1
    5- brown Ana out 2
    6- green Ana ground
    7- black calibration

maxx x3
    1- + Ub ign
    2- Uref AN
    3- Ana in 2 [f]
    4- GND pwr
    5- GND signal
    6- Ana in 1 [e]

if i'm reading this right the only wires i need to connect to the x3 , are brown Ana out to 3 Ana in , and white and green grounds together , but to which terminal , 4 or 5 , in the innovate manual it says that the blue wire heater ground should have a separate ground to the white and green , can i use the common ground for the blue wire , along with the alpha n ground , i hope some one can help with this ..

Grant,
    I am not really familiar with the innovate set up but the only things you care about are unit power for the innovate which can be supplied from X3 pins 1 and 4 and the Wb signal which can be had at X3 pin 3 (PWR) and X3 pin 5 (GND). If you plan to run NBsim...then it'll be a bit different but for the WB unit only, you are typically only concerned with a handfull of pins. HTH....

Comment

Re: innovate to maxx

Originally posted by Grant w

if i'm reading this right the only wires i need to connect to the x3 , are brown Ana out to 3 Ana in , and white and green grounds together , but to which terminal , 4 or 5 , in the innovate manual it says that the blue wire heater ground should have a separate ground to the white and green , can i use the common ground for the blue wire , along with the alpha n ground , i hope some one can help with this ..
      LC1 Ana1 out is NBsim
      LC2 Ana2 out is WBlin.

yes you are right:
      LC1 brown to X3 Pin 3 (F)
      but wouldn't put green and white ground together
      LC1 green (Analog ground) to X3 Pin 5 (Ground signal)
      LC1 white (system ground) to X3 Pin 3 (Ground pwr)
      LC1 blue (heater ground) to chassis ground (use the chassis point besides the ECU with all the brown wires)
      LC1 red (power) to X3 Pin 1 (12V +)
      LC1 yellow (Ana1 out) to X3 Pin 6 (E) to run Narrowband sim if you remove the narrow band sensor

I don't really know if the Narrowband Sim signal from the LC1 is identical to the signal the stock Bosch sensor is giving, but this can be checked in the LC1's software. I don't think this need to be altered, but would be good to dbl check it.

You need to connect Motronic Pin24 to Pin E of the Alpha N (this is optional on the MAXX wiring diagramm) otherwise the NB sim signal doesn't reach the BMW ECU and you can't run closed loop.

BUT: if you have the stock sensor still in place you need to DISCONNECT it if you connect the NBsim signal from the LC1 to the X3 connector.
      YOU CAN'T RUN BOTH.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Uwe
        don't you mean LC1 white to X3 pin 4 , so i don't need a seperate 12v supply for the LC1 it's powered from the X3 pin 1 , would i be able to power the XD1 dial from this , i'm not keeping stock sensor , do i really need it ? ..

Comment

Originally posted by Grant w
          Uwe
          don't you mean LC1 white to X3 pin 4 , so i don't need a seperate 12v supply for the LC1 it's powered from the X3 pin 1 , would i be able to power the XD1 dial from this , i'm not keeping stock sensor , do i really need it ? ..
          uups, that was a typing error. Of course to pin 4!!! :OMG:

You can run the LC1 fully from X3 connector (checked that with MAXX when installing Sunny's). That is also a switched 12V supply and will be off with ignition off.

I don't know about the XD1, I have used Sunny's radio connector to power the XD1 (he has't got a Radio and we mounted the display in the Radio slot)

Make sure you do a proper free air calibration of the LC1 BEFORE you screw the senswor in the exhaust.
          Last edited by UweM3; 01-28-2006, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks Uwe , thats a great help , i just need to find some where to mount the XD1 , get your laptop , and were sorted ..

Comment

just one more thing, where are you going to mount the LC1??

Make sure the stereo plugs on the LC1 are plugged in properly and in the right order. I had a hard time to get them fully into that socket. did you read the warning of Dave W breaking one off them?

Comment

thats the trouble with innovate , its the short sensor wire , could the sensor be mounted in the header ? , that'll give me a longer lead so i could mount it behind the plastic cover , that plug arrangement is a bit tin pot ..

i've measured the innovate sensor lead and it's 750mm long including the sensor and the plug for the LC1 , how does that compare with the standard sensor ??
                Last edited by Grant w; 01-28-2006, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I extended the wire on Sunny's car and fitted the LC1 in the glove box.

When I get some time I will move my Techedge from the glove box under the passenger seat.

If you decide the extend the sensor wire get some heat shield tubing

Comment

Hope its ok to continue this thread with a question regarding the LC-1's NBSIM analog ouptut value.

Have most folks left it the factory default of 1.1v=14afr and .1v=15afr for the analog output 1 narrowband signal? I am having a cold start lean idle issue (afrs ~19, at which point I shut it down) after about 20 secs of initially firing the engine. Wondering if I am confusing the factory ecu with the default numbers from innovate.

Also, more related to this thread, I ended up with one of the 6 wire LC-1 units, and I wired the black calibration wire (with momentary switch and led inline) to pin 5 on the x3 connector, pin 5 seems to make its way to ground. Wired this way the led on the LC-1 says that it is functioning properly. Just wondering if anyone can foresee this wiring creating the cold start issue mentioned above.

Thank you for any ideas!
                    Brian

Comment

Working from memory, your wiring for the LC-1 black wire sounds correct, (mine has this as well) and thinking it through, the momentary switch is grounded when you push it, which the LC-1 will see when the signal changes to ground and then begin the calibration.

Are you reading the AFR value from the laptop or a separate gauge? If you are reading from the laptop, are you using the most updated version of the MAXX program? I found that I was using the older version of the MAXX software (V2.x) which does not have any way to account for what wideband 02 unit you are using. I went to the website and downloaded the newest version (V3.03) and you can actually toggle for different WB02 models.

http://www.maxx-automotive.de/ftp/al...-0-070900e.pdf

On the original 2.x program my AFRs were showing leaner than actual on the laptop. I did not notice the variance until I installed an AFR gauge after a few months and saw that the laptop display was different than the gauge! Needless to say, this meant I had to go redo several parts of the map and lean them out a little more.

I don't believe that 19s at idle (unless you are looking at a meter that is pegged) are that bad for a short term or for a spilke... you might try waiting four to five seconds to see if it dithers and goes a different route.. I know I have seen 18s at the dyno with a stock AFM under idle
                      Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-20-2008, 02:46 AM.
                      Mark Williams
                      Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Currently I am working with the newest maxx version (3.03), and my wbo2 gauge and the maxx screen are totally in sync. I will try this evening with a little more time at startup. Thank you.

Comment

Guys,

I could use a little help with this.

I have the 7 wire LC-1 and want to wire this to the Alpha-N properly.

After comparing the innovate and Maxx documents. I feel like it should be:

1 - Red
                          3 - Brown
                          4 - Blue
                          5 - White
                          Also, Blue is grounded to the motronic ground

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks,
                          Joey
                          Last edited by e30m3power; 06-05-2008, 05:20 PM.
                          http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

Working...
                          X