Alpha N cold start lean condition help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha N cold start lean condition help

I searched far and wide, and could not find a solution or any help to my problem.

My problem is on cold start, NO MATTER THE TEMP OUTSIDE, the car runs extremely lean until it warms up. The leanness is at idle and partial throttle. I havent had the balls to rev it when it was this lean.

My theory is that I need a Narrowband sim, as I do not have the NB stock O2 sensor hooked up.

So I am looking to by a Innovate LC-1 but am I just throwing money away at a problem that is with my set up or will the NB sim help this problem?

TIA,

Matt
    -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
    http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
    PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

I don't think the NB would help you with this.

What o2 sensor are you using? Did I miss that in the post above? What alpha-n system are you using?

Jason

Comment

I assume you are reading this with a WB sensor? And everything is fine when warm? I would look at the coolant temp senor. AFAIK, Alpha-N does not take in any sort of engine temperature (only air intake temp) so I don't think the problem is with the Alpha-N. The ECU is supposed to look at coolant temp and enrich the mixture until it's warm. Also the oxygen sensor is in open loop (off) until it's warm too, to allow this rich mixture so again I don't think getting NB lambda would help
      "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

I had the same problem. How is your idle compensation curve looking?
        First thing to do:
        Plug your laptop in when cold and have a look where the cursor on the idle page sits when the engine is cold. Might need some richen up there.

Second step:
        I got rid of the lean running by richen the fuel map on very very low throttle positions and pulling the AFR's back on idle with the idle compensation.

I had my idle compensation set to ZERO when the engine was on working temperature, but experienced the same lean running when cold.

Might not make complete sense to you but I can mail you my AN file to have a look.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Email is matthew.kayne (at) gmail (dot) com. I would appreciate this map. Car was running perfectly before my install of MAXX Alpha-N so I think it's a problem with my tuning. I have not messed up the idle enrichment map yet. I am running open loop for the time being, along with a Innovate WB LM-1. I was going to buy the LC-1, but I guess the concensus is that this is not my problem. I will screw with the maps more.

I have noticed one thing. The problem gets worse it seems when the car is in shade or at night when it's super cold. Maybe I should investigate my AIT sensor. Anyone have the part number for the AIT sensor. The unit I am using is an E36 325 sensor, maybe it is different than the one that was originally provided with the kit.
          -Matt

For Aftermarket Engine Management, Visit Electromotive Store:
          http://www.electromotivestore.com

Own a shop and need a better website?
          PM me or Visit http://www.shop-websites.com

Comment

thread bump --

Matt, what was the resolution to your problem? I'm chasing down some new issues with my a/n setup and was just reading through the archives.

Thanks

Dave

Comment

I also have the same problem Matt was having. I'm Interested in knowing the solution as well.
              http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

I got mine working a bit better by adjusting the idle map like Uwe mentioned.
                -kevin

Comment

I have the same problem, I am going to install a new coolant temp sensor to see if this clears up. At $9, I can swing the trial and error.

- gabor
                  October 1987 build date.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdriver View Post
                    I have the same problem, I am going to install a new coolant temp sensor to see if this clears up. At $9, I can swing the trial and error.

- gabor
                    I figured the same thing, but it made no difference. The idle control map did strangely enough.
                    -kevin

Comment

just a FYI a bad coolant temp sensor shouldnt pose much of a problem when the engine is cold as the sensors resistance is high (2k Ohms). 2k Ohms or more (in case of a broken sensor or wire between sensor and motronic) doesnt make much of a difference to the ecu.
                      You can easily verify this with a cold engine (in case of a known good sensor): pull off the connector when you have a cold engine idling. You'll notice hardly any difference the way the engine is running.
                      In case of doubt about the sensor: pull the connector off when the engine is warm and idling. With the connector off, you'll have a higher idle. If you dont, chances are the sensor could have a permanent low resistance.

On the other hand why wouldn't one just measure the actual resistance of the sensor using a multimeter set to resistance measurement, just as quick and much more precise.
                      Last edited by hardtailer; 04-25-2009, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X