X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed: "Plug n Play" Megasquirt, Carbon Box, S54 TPS, Trigger Wheel

Hey Guys,

Lots Pics - 56k Beware

Overall, Car has been running for one day. Will do some more tuning in the coming days and it should be good to go for a real dyno tune in a week or so. Megasquirt was built by RS4PRO here on S14. Very nice guy and helped keep it as plug and play as possible. At the end of the day, it's not truly plug and play, but it's as close as you will get with a true stand alone ECU. I acquired the parts over 2-3 weeks and it took about that long to install everything on evenings and spare time on weekends

Rough Engine Mods:
    TMS 2.5L Conversion with 11.25 Pistons
    Turner Stage III Head, Motorsports Springs, Larger Valves etc.
    Schrick 284 Intake/Evo III 272 Exhaust
    50/50 Header, VS Center, Stromung Rear
    Evo 300cc Green Injectors (prob upgrade to 440cc soon)
    Stock Ignition System

New Stuff:
    Carbon Airbox
    Megasquirt V3.0 MSII Extra 2.0.1 Release
    S54 TPS with Lee Adapter Plate
    Removed ICV
    Lee Trigger Wheel and Bracket
    Sync-ed Throttle Bodies
    Perma-Cool Oil Relocation
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband

Rough Install:

Trigger Wheel:
    1 - Remove Belts, Remove Radiator fan and Radiator Shroud (fan is reverse thread).
    2 - Jam smallish crow bar into small slot at flywheel teeth near the starter

3 - Take a big pole over breaker bar and go!
    4 - Remove Pulley, Heat Up Trigger Wheel and and will SLIDE over the pulley very easily, but it will also cool very quickly and tighten over the pulley. I used some shims to keep it up and tapped slowly to get in place. I used some JB-Welt all around the perimeter to keep it in place

Mounted Pulley on with the trigger wheel peeking out.
    I had to grind the bracket a bit to get the VR sensor on the 9th tooth (wanted it perfect. it sits about .03" away from the sensor to the wheel

5 - Mount up your Flywheel Sensor to the Bracket. I had to grind down the sensor harness and solder on the wiring. I had to do this because the sensor curves back and would hit the AC Bracket

6 - Install GM Air Temp Sensor on Snorkel, took some drilling and used some silicon to keep it tight

7 - How the ECU Looks

Inside with MSII Daughter Board

8 - Removed Airbox. I got rid of the ICV, did some creative plumbing so the idle screw and the oil seperator use that small little K&N Filter

9 - Some TPS rewiring to accomodate for the S54

TPS on with the adapter

10 - Oil Filter Relocation (will prob use AN fittings later in time)

11 - Put Airbox in

Things not Pictured but still a pain to do:
    1 - Remove Stock 02 Sensor and put Innovate Wideband in (following their calibration procedures) Took a unique 02 sensor wrench to get it out with a very long extension to the top
    2 - Wiring of TPS took a while to figure out
    3 - Have to correctly wire the positive/negative side of the VR sensor with the right wires at the motronic harness
    4 - Remove stock ECU, put in Megasquirt
    5 - Setup vacuum hoses at throttle sync ports for MAP reading
    6 - of course tuning the ECU

Final Product:
    Last edited by R6Elmo; 09-29-2008, 02:54 PM.

Good job! I know I speak for many when I say thank you for the write up.
    2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
    1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
    1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
      Good job! I know I speak for many when I say thank you for the write up.
      Ted - No problem. I will attempt my best to create a more detailed write up and put in PDF or word for those that need/want it. It's definitely an involved job/procedure, especially when it comes to actually getting into Megatune and messing with Megasquirt.

Comment

Nice job man, glad to hear it's up and running. Your the first to have one of my setups going on the s14, i've got 4 or 5 eta units out there and they are wired the same, but different files. I took note of the TPS wiring, you had to do, for some reason I have a hard time figuring out the newer BMW wiring diagrams as you can't just look on one diagram to find info. You have to flip between 3 different diagrams and then code charts to figure out wire functions. But that will be fixed, so for anyone using an s54 TPS all they have to do is swap 2 wires around. Definitely keep us updated on the tuning process and how it goes
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Is there anyone in the Bay Area that can do this install and tune? From what I hear, DynoSpot no longer does this?

I'd love to add this to my car one day.

Looks great Danny. I'm looking forward to seeing/chatting about it further at the upcoming meet!
          1997 993 C4S - Black/Classic Grey
          1996 993TT - Midnight Blue/Marble Grey
          1973 BMW 3.0cs - Restoration project

SOLD
          2001 Audi S4 Avant 6MT|2004 Audi S4 Avant 6spd|
          1997 993 C4S|1997 993 C2S|1989 BMW E30 M3|
          2005 E55 Est

Comment

Good post, any more pics or details would be
            well appreciated.

Comment

Nice write-up. Good work. As a side note, one way to avoid having grinding the excentric mounting holes on the VR sensor bracket is to pre-test the assembly on the engine with the pulley still on, and mark where the sensor is pointing. Make a notch with a felt pen on the pulley. This mark is where tooth #9 will have to be located. There are still small adjustments on the sensor bracket to center the tip of the sensor and the tooth.

The second batch of sensor bracket has even more adjustment.

Also, to avoid the risk of breaking a tooth on the flywheel by jamming it with a screwdriver, I suggest having a friend press on the brakes while the transmission is in 5th gear.
              Last edited by LeeVuong; 09-29-2008, 10:38 PM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
              1989 M3 racecar
              e39 Touring

Comment

Very nice write-up. Between Lee and rs4pro3, this is becoming a project that even us "non-electrical engineers" can take on. I've got Lee's stuff, and look forward to picking up rs4pro3's MS this fall.
                Ian
                '76 M2

Comment

A question for RS4pro3 in regard of the TPS connection. The picture shows that the connection was rewired. Any reason for that? Can I do the rewiring from inside the DME box between the two 30+pins connectors?

Lee

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

I have a question for rs4pro3 as well - Which version of MS do I have? Do we all have the same one? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                      Also, to avoid the risk of breaking a tooth on the flywheel by jamming it with a screwdriver, I suggest having a friend press on the brakes while the transmission is in 5th gear.
                      Lee - I didn't have to grind the bracket very much at all, so if the new brackets have some more adjustment, that's all you would need.

I did have a (girl)friend press the brakes and put it in 5th gear as you suggested and the brakes couldn't hold and the car wanted to move backwards. Told her to press hard as she could and no luck as it would seem the torque applied overpowered the brakes.

So I did a combination of jamming the flywheel AND putting it in 5th gear. I was scared to do this, but it worked very well, no damage on flywheel, crowbar, or bell-housing.

AW21 (Andy) - Dynospot will tune. I talked to dick before buying the system. Dick just doesn't tune using stock ECU anymore. But he as well as his tuner have experience with megasquirt I at least, and are willing to play with megasquirt II.

Installation is another story all together since it is pretty involved. I will make a PDF how to and give it to RS4PRO as well as others that want to attempt the install themselves.

After playing with megasquirt more and more, it seems to be pretty straight forward to tune yourself by datalogging and using megalogviewer. My intention is to get it as close as possible and let dick play with it later. The hard part for me is tuning the ignition advance. I really have no idea what the maximum advance should be for my car, any tips would be appreciated. I'm considering installing an aftermarket knock sensor.

Comment

Lee the problem is for the s54 tps and others like it, the ground pin for the sensor is off on the BMW connector, since BMW runs the grounds threw the harness straight to the block and not to the ecu connector it can't be switched in the adapter itself. So no matter what you have to swap the ground wire around with one of the other 3 wires.

Ted, you have a ms2 v3.0 board. All 3 of you guys have the same boards but you and Lee have the PWM idle control, where as Danny opted to remove the idle valve.
                        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by R6Elmo View Post
                          The hard part for me is tuning the ignition advance. I really have no idea what the maximum advance should be for my car, any tips would be appreciated. I'm considering installing an aftermarket knock sensor.
                          I found a few files on the German S14 website and they are from the original chip. The tables were posted by Steve Singleton from the UK and other members.

The good info starts on post #26
                          http://board.s14power.com/showthread...n+table&page=2

RS4Pro3 - Do you think it would be possible you post here all the diagram/connection instructions you sent me last month, as they now are scattered in different conversations and have a hard time finding them. Also, this thread could become "Megasquirt Central" with all pertinent info.
                          Last edited by LeeVuong; 09-30-2008, 02:35 AM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                          1989 M3 racecar
                          e39 Touring

Comment

. I'm considering installing an aftermarket knock sensor.
                            How hard is this to do with MS? I would surely want this added.
                            -Darren

Comment

The hard part for me is tuning the ignition advance. I really have no idea what the maximum advance should be for my car, any tips would be appreciated. I'm considering installing an aftermarket knock sensor.
                              I WILL be installing knock control. It is a wise idea. It will take some time to get it set up and adjusted, but it should prove to be invaluable.

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
                              Ted, you have a ms2 v3.0 board. All 3 of you guys have the same boards but you and Lee have the PWM idle control, where as Danny opted to remove the idle valve.
                              Good to know. Everyone needs to keep a record of what they have. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X