MAXX cable pin outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAXX cable pin outs

sorry about this people, I'm so frustrated right now.
    the cable on the MAXX site picture has a serial port on one end, mine does not.
    a buddy can make me a connector if he know's the pin out's, RX TX etc, anyone have this info ?
    cheers Simon

bump. Anyone willing to buzz out their cable? I tried using a commonly found DB-9 to PS/2 adapter intended for adapting PS/2 to serial mice but still can't get online. I'm pretty sure my USB serial adapter is working because I can talk fine to the Innovate devices in my car.

I'm not very confident about buying a dedicated DB-9 to PS/2 cable because it's probably wired identically to using an adapter.

-chris
    1988 M3
    2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

The maxx came with a serial port to usb adapter, but I could not get it to work. I use the same one for the lc-1. Bought it at Radio shack. Nothing special. You should be able to buy one nearly any where.

Comment

I'm just looking for info on the cable that goes into the Maxx.

I've got one of these USB adapters:
        http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=3914

Which has a DB-9 connector. The Maxx has a 6-pin mini-din aka PS/2 connector on it.

What cable are you using between your usb serial adapter and the Maxx? The one supplied with the kit or are you using something off the shelf?

-chris
        1988 M3
        2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

One off the shelf. I could not get the one that came with the maxx to work. If you are having problems, it probably has to do with the install of the serial/usb adapter on your computer. I had the same issue. Go to start and to the Devices and make sure it is getting a signal. Most of the time I have had problems if I switch ports, so I just use the same computer port every time.

Comment

Interesting... I've got a different USB-serial adapter coming in the mail that outputs old school +/- 12V over the serial connection instead of the +/- 5V that the keyspan does.

RS232 is interesting in that there is no spec as to what voltage levels are required outside of it has to be greater than +/- 3V but less that +/- 25V. Lots of old school devices (and I think the Maxx might fall into this) don't work reliably at signal voltages around +/-5V. The downside of the higher voltages is that you can't run the interface as fast but I think the Maxx talks at 9600 baud so should be ok.

Where did you buy your cable? I hit up fry's and picked up a PS/2 to serial adapter.

-chris
            1988 M3
            2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Chris,
              I don't know if you are asking me? But, if you are, I picked mine up at Radio Shack.

Comment

Got my cable and it does have a different pinout than the commonly found ps/2 <-> DB9 cable and adapters out there. So don't lose your cable! It's pretty much straight through connections of pins 2, 3, 4, 5.

DB9 Female End:

Mini-DIN 6 aka ps/2:

Code:
                DB9   PS/2
                2       2
                3       3
                4       4
                5       5

-chris
                1988 M3
                2007 Lotus Exige S

Comment

Thanks for posting the pin outs. I just tested the continuity of the cable that came with my Maxx unit, and they match what you posted.

I get an error message saying RS232 timeout after trying to establish a connection. I know the USB to serial cable works fine because I've used it to configure my digital dash. And I am specifying the same available COM port on both the USB to serial device driver and the MAXX software. I know the laptop knows there is something on the other end because the MAXX unit actually attemps to upload to the PC, but fails with the error message I mentioned (as opposed to the red bar extending while it searches for a connection).

Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?
                  sigpic

Comment

I found an ancient laptop with a serial port, and was able to connect. Therefore, the problem was with the USB to serial adaptor. I think the issue is indeed related to USB running at +/- 5V as opposed the serial port outputing +/- 12V, and how the adaptor deals with that. The one I had was using the prolific chipset, and I ran the appropiate prolific drivers.

Also, correction on the exact wording of the error messsage I was getting: "Upload 256 timeout."
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
                      I found an ancient laptop with a serial port, and was able to connect. Therefore, the problem was with the USB to serial adaptor. I think the issue is indeed related to USB running at +/- 5V as opposed the serial port outputing +/- 12V, and how the adaptor deals with that. The one I had was using the prolific chipset, and I ran the appropiate prolific drivers.

Also, correction on the exact wording of the error messsage I was getting: "Upload 256 timeout."
                      This is exactly what I am getting. I will go to a pawn shop tomorrow and get an old school laptop with serial port......

T

Comment

It took me a couple of USB adapters before I found one that worked. I also had to toggle com ports within the maxx programs a number of times to get it working. I am currently running maxx in my windows 8 laptop, I turn on windows xp emulator (downloaded from microsofts website) and it all works pretty well.

Comment

I really wish they would start selling these with usb cables. the serial port is so outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by christsay View Post
                            Got my cable and it does have a different pinout than the commonly found ps/2 <-> DB9 cable and adapters out there. So don't lose your cable! It's pretty much straight through connections of pins 2, 3, 4, 5.

DB9 Female End:

Mini-DIN 6 aka ps/2:

Code:
                            DB9 PS/2
                            2 2
                            3 3
                            4 4
                            5 5

-chris
                            I need of a MAXX cable ASAP!! does anyone know where they get their cables or where I can get one?? Is there an off the shelf solution for this?

T

Comment

This has come up a few times lately so I just confirmed the pinout on my Maxx cable.

The cable is a male Mini-DIN 6 straight through wired to a female DB9. The only terminals used by the cable are 2, 3, 4, 5.

If I were to make one I would buy a male Mini-DIN 6 cable, cut one end off, use a meter to check which wire went to which pin, and then connect a female DB9 connector to the cut end.

The wiring will connect straight through, like this:

Comment

Working...
                              X