cf dtm rear fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cf dtm rear fenders?

is there such thing as CF DTM rear fenders?
    JAMES
    sigpic

There are some aftermarket that are about an inch wider, but I think only in FG, but I
    could be wrong. I think Apex Engineering used to make the front and rear but they
    might have stopped. Competition Concepts may still make the front fenders in CF and
    the side skirts to work with them.

Comment

here in germany you could get 1:1 copies from the original rearpanels in cfk but they are not wider then the stock ones-
      Only the front fenders are availble in a wider version
      Last edited by Markus; 09-08-2011, 09:07 AM.

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

wow.....i bet the rear fender panels in cfk would cut a lot of weight, they look about 2x the size of the front fender panels. i'm seriously thinking about getting CC's cf bumper/hood/fenders/skirts. with rear cfk parts, i'm guessing the total weight cut would be somewhere around 130lbs? i just wonder how these cf parts would match up and look kosher?
        JAMES
        sigpic

Comment

The track guys can correct my if I am wrong, but there isn't much of a weight savings
          with the fenders. The weight savings would be mostly the bumpers and the hood.

Do you really want to hack up the car just to put some wider quarter panels?

Comment

Originally posted by PostmasterNY View Post
            wow.....i bet the rear fender panels in cfk would cut a lot of weight, they look about 2x the size of the front fender panels. i'm seriously thinking about getting CC's cf bumper/hood/fenders/skirts. with rear cfk parts, i'm guessing the total weight cut would be somewhere around 130lbs? i just wonder how these cf parts would match up and look kosher?
            Modifying a car, specifically a street oriented car, for the sake of modification rarely works out in the end.

Weight savings from panels is negligible. I recently went through this with a customer and his E36. He did the "math" on what he'd save on weight by removing X and adding Y. At the end, the reality didn't add up to the theoretical "math."

Just a FWIW.

-Chris
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Are we talking about wider to squeeze more tire width or taller to get like a bigger circumferential rim. I know the guy Kevin Byrd from to guys garage had cut the top part of the flare in the fenders I am guessing to increase the width of tire he could squeeze in the car. I guess that would be one way to go. I haven't seen the progress on his car tho, I know he posted about it a while back when they were working on it during a episode.
              Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

Here you go. This is the last update of the car

Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

is there such thing as CF DTM rear fenders?
                  Well, is there such a thing as DTM quarter? I don't think so. And the front ones were not really DTM either. Just the evo3 ones with the opening being 1" higher, and not any wider. :gotcha:

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

i thought there were dtm front fenders (wider, taller, more rear opening) but dtm couldn't use them as CF, only steel. so i guess my question should have been was there such thing as steel dtm rear fenders (wider, taller, more opening)?

i'm asking this because i want to get some bbs e50's 9 or 9.5 x 17 all around and i want to have proper tires on them.....no stretchy. also, 6 to 8 piston calipers up front and 4 in the rear.

so does anyone know anyone with at least cf hood and bumper? just want to know if it looks good? if the cf fenders wouldn't look good then i wouldn't go that route.....maybe just the hood & bumper, then maybe try and find some steel dtm fenders?
                    JAMES
                    sigpic

Comment

the only difference between a steel DTM fender and a series steel fender is
                      that they were coming in bare metal and with no inner fender lip.
                      These DTM/Gr.A fenders are NLA for a long time.
                      Don't cut your rear fenders for cf...that is really a pain
                      That is only interesting if you have a non M3 and want build a replica M3

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

I am just curious as to why people automatically think DTM cars had wider fenders?
                        They were not allowed to change bodywork unless it was on a road car, and the
                        Evo III was the last iteration of body changes. I just think the widebody looks out
                        of place unless you have truly a wild car.

Here are some that someone posted recently. Not a huge fan of them.

Comment

so does anyone know anyone with at least cf hood and bumper? just want to know if it looks good? if the cf fenders wouldn't look good then i wouldn't go that route.....maybe just the hood & bumper, then maybe try and find some steel dtm fenders?
                          http://competitionconcepts.com/image...6_edited-1.jpg

http://competitionconcepts.com/image...w_edited-1.jpg

http://competitionconcepts.com/image...w_edited-2.jpg

http://competitionconcepts.com/
                          sigpic
                          2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                          2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                          2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                          2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                          2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
                            I am just curious as to why people automatically think DTM cars had wider fenders?
                            They were not allowed to change bodywork unless it was on a road car, and the
                            Evo III was the last iteration of body changes. I just think the widebody looks out
                            of place unless you have truly a wild car.
                            I think people forget these cars where raced in multiple series, in multiple countries, at the same time. Group A, DTM, BTCC & whatever else. Every car may have been purchased from BMW MS with a steel DTM fender (the Front had EVO arch, but longer opening at the bottom, not wider). But the teams modified the cars as they needed to match the series they where running.

The way these guys ran these cars, how many days do you think the fenders lasted?

The fenders that Keith produces where made from one car only & it was a very late DTM car (I'm not sure what series it ran in Germany, Italy England, so who knows what rules it had to adhere to). The car was a '91 I believe, but who knows when those fenders where installed...

Mike K.
                            Last edited by Mike K.; 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Keiths hood, deck & bumpers look just like the stock OEM items. The DTM fenders also require the matching side skirts. On the front bumper, other copies don't always follow the OEM part very well or at all.

The weight savings also comes from the mounting methods. If you pin the hood & deck you can really reduce the weight. The bumpers have room for reductions if the depending on the mounting methods.

My car is at 2150 with a full cage, steel doors, steel fenders, FG hood, FG bumpers & FG deck lid. But my car is missing tons of other stuff.

Mike K.

Comment

Working...
                              X