1986 BMW E30 M325i - S14B23, M3 interior, M3 suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 BMW E30 M325i - S14B23, M3 interior, M3 suspension

This thread will serve as a guide on how to not only ruin a perfectly original and rare car but also a reminder to build a car of your dreams.

Background

This is my 1986 BMW E30 M325i. In right hand drive countries, BMW released these special models to fill the gap that was created as a result of the left hand only E30 M3. In the United Kingdom they received the 325i Sport, in Australia we got the 325iS and South Africa was blessed with the 333i, 325iS Evo I & II. New Zealand was delivered with a car was was marketed as a M325i and like their UK brothers, the early model sporting the Mtechnic 1 body kit was sold for only a very limited few months before being replaced by the horrid Mtechnic 2.

Summary

In my years of E30 ownership and hording, i was fortunate to obtain a 86,000km S14B23 out of a 1988 E30 M3. Since then i had always imagined what it would be like if BMW had created a early model 320iS with the Mtech 1. This small dream has since become a reality when i acquired this factory built M325i. It had absolutely everything, shadowline trim, black headling, houndstooth interior, limited slip differential and the beautiful mtech 1 exterior. I had spare g265/6 gearboxes from old E28s that i had parted, a Z3M diff cover, E30 M3 houndstooth interior and also a small diameter 370mm Mtech 1 steering wheel. Yesterday I acquired a genuine E30 M3 cluster and a full E30 M3 suspension to convert the car to 5 stud like the SA 325iS Evo's.

Now that we have absolutely everything ready to go, im ready to document this build and i share it with a community that will appreciate this build.

Here is some of the parts that will be installed.

One of the first modifications I did was installed the E30 M3 euro front grill which which has a larger opening to allow for more air to reach the intake.

Comment

Changing the gears in the cluster.

Comment

Hi,
        Interesting project look forward to see how it is coming along, did you find all the parts in Australia or did you import them.
        Dave

E30 M3 1987
        Mini Clubman GT
        BMW E36 323 Msport
        Toyota Corona
        KTM 200EXC
        Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Wow look's exactly as my 86 M-tech 1 did way back when reason for my screen name. Really liked the ROW body styling vs NA big bumpers. Look forward to more updates.
          Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

and my ex-85 320 m-technic. fully adulterated with M3 interior and M50 swap....fairly rare Karminrot color.

Marshall
            75 M2
            88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
              Hi,
              Interesting project look forward to see how it is coming along, did you find all the parts in Australia or did you import them.
              Dave
              I've been fortunate to find the majority of parts locally, which isn't usually the case. Loom and ECU I sourced from America and both M3 Interiors I actually flew over to Auckland for a few hours and collected myself! The car was already exported to Australia in the early 2000s and the motor came out of a car in Sydney that had an Evo spec motor replacement.

Attached Files

Comment

Quite the project you have carved out. Keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Comment

Working...
                X