Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people pick the E30 M3 to do an engine swap?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaronmjr
    replied
    Originally posted by UofOm3
    Just say no to swaps. I don't understand how the car is still special, distinct, or unique any longer without the s14.
    not that its neccesarily better...but im sure theres more E30 M3's with S14's, than engine swaps.. doesnt that = unique?

You buy a car for what is under the hood - not what you think you can wedge in there.
    how can you present a statement like that as fact? maybe thats your opinion, but definetly not everyones. certain engines are put in cars by manufacturers for different reasons.. i dunno, you know your my bro, but you have a tendancy to always present your opinions as fact. the E30 M3 is but one of many car models, and we are but one of many car communities. just because you have these feelings/experiences with the E30 M3 doesnt mean that outlines what you should do for EVERY car ever made, i mean come on.

Leave a comment:

• Mmark
    replied
    Re: Say no more...

Originally posted by ///Mous3
    Yuuuup...

But I did not give you permission to shoot yourself out of a cannon:surprised :p
    m

Leave a comment:

• ///Mous3
    replied
    Say no more...

Originally posted by Mmark
    In defense of the swappers, I'd say...
    1, There is just nothing quite like big power in a small light package.
    Yuuuup...

Leave a comment:

• rjd2
    replied
    The smile may not be so big if he had put a chevvy engine in it or put a huge spoilers on the darn thing.

I don't know 350hp aluminum V8 in a 2800lbs car would always put a big smile on my face. And last time I checked the biggest most absurd, and completly awsome wing I've ever seen is a BMW part evo wing with DTM flap

Leave a comment:

• PPPP
    replied
    Originally posted by TYMl3S
    Amen!

Look everyone, on a whole, automobiles do not make for good investments. Yes, the E30 M3 can appreciate but certain factors need to be present for you to observe the wonderful path to small fortunes you all make mentions to down the road. First, any enthusiast I know uses their car for its intended purpose, as such, the car loses value regularly. The only E30 M3's that will carry impressive prices are the ones being stored for their next owner.

How many people did I tick off?
    Peace,
    T

Well said - the certain factors you mention include some meaningful originality. You did not tick me off, I am pleased you took the trouble to participate

Leave a comment:

• PPPP
    replied
    [B]Just say no to swaps. I don't understand how the car is still special, distinct, or unique any longer without the s14. You buy a car for what is under the hood - not what you think you can wedge in there. the wedging mentality has ruined a lot of very nice classic american cars - and matching number cars are now worth a small fortune thanks to it.

Hear, hear
    Last edited by PPPP; 10-29-2005, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PPPP
    replied
    Originally posted by rjd2
    So it seems your main concern is the value of your car?]

No, not at all - but I don't go out and buy an Alfa Romeo. Maserati. Pontiac because I am not a Kamikazi pilot. Have BMW sales gone up more or less than Alfa or Maserati in the last 10, 20 years despite the free advertising in the Graduate?

I think If you invested $15,000 into a fairly conservative fund for the next ten years you'd have a bit more money then holding on to that M3. Didn't we all buy these cars to enjoy? It would seem that we all have our own ideas about how best to enjoy these unique vehicles.
    Sure, take away from the fund the cost of having so much fun - fun costs, and your objective should be to maximise the fun, and minimise the cost surely

It would be totally absurd to me to own a 12,500 miles bubble car but someone else might get a big smile on their face everytime they open the garage door and saw the thing sitting there.
    The smile may not be so big if he had put a chevvy engine in it or put a huge spoilers on the darn thing.

Good for them. I just can't understand getting so upset that you'd need to start a thread. I think I've added a new one..you can't talk religon, politics, and engine swaps in e30 M3's without someone getting pissed off.
    Dangerous cocktail, for sure:p

Leave a comment:

• UofOm3
    replied
    Just say no to swaps. I don't understand how the car is still special, distinct, or unique any longer without the s14. You buy a car for what is under the hood - not what you think you can wedge in there. The wedging mentality has ruined a lot of very nice classic american cars - and matching number cars are now worth a small fortune thanks to it.

T

and though i'd die hard about the s14 in this chasis - something about Tony's s54 swap does not bother me... it could be because he took an s14 about as far as it could go before trying something else - or it could be because the s54 is an amazing engine even for this technological age (Vastly more special than any of the e36 variant motors) and has a lot of the same character the s14 does. It'll be interesting to get his opinion on how the car is after that swap....

Leave a comment:

• TYMl3S
    replied
    Originally posted by rjd2
    So it seems your main concern is the value of your car? I think If you invested $15,000 into a fairly conservative fund for the next ten years you'd have a bit more money then holding on to that M3. Didn't we all buy these cars to enjoy? It would seem that we all have our own ideas about how best to enjoy these unique vehicles. It would be totally absurd to me to own a 12,500 miles bubble car but someone else might get a big smile on their face everytime they open the garage door and saw the thing sitting there. Good for them. I just can't understand getting so upset that you'd need to start a thread. I think I've added a new one..you can't talk religon, politics, and engine swaps in e30 M3's without someone getting pissed off.
    Amen!

Look everyone, on a whole, automobiles do not make for good investments. Yes, the E30 M3 can appreciate but certain factors need to be present for you to observe the wonderful path to small fortunes you all make mentions to down the road. First, any enthusiast I know uses their car for its intended purpose, as such, the car loses value regularly. The only E30 M3's that will carry impressive prices are the ones being stored for their next owner.

Even the bubble cars selling for $30K+ is an anomoly, it's the result of perfect timing and the randomness of a wealthy man's wallet being guided by a excitable youth.

Consider that a perfect E30 M3 being sold by the original owner has cost the diligent owner well over 50,000+ for routine maintenance, gas, insurance, dealership looting:grr: So- even a 30,000 E30 is taking a significant long term loss!

My point is two fold. First, the really unique E30 M3's which are living boring lives in garages will be worth ALOT someday, that does not mean everyone else gets to observe the same appreciation curve. Second, automobiles are NEVER be considered investments, they should be enjoyed for their intended purpose! Value and enjoyment do not go hand in hand.

How many people did I tick off?

Peace,
    T

Leave a comment:

• Mmark
    replied
    In defense of the swappers, I'd say...
    1, There is just nothing quite like big power in a small light package.
    2, It may be the challenge of the task. If successful, then the satisfaction is great.
    3, Some people may have already done the usual S14 mods and found that there is nothing else left to do. With the S14 more power is made by raising the revs.
    Go up in capacity and you start with more torque and if aBMW power plant, an engine that has more revs left in it to extract more power.
    Why climb the mountain?...'Cos it's there.

Swaps are not restricted to the E30 M3. It is common for the 2002 and the Vanilla E30s.
    But If you're going to do it right, it is best to use the toughest chassis and one that can handle more power and possibly weight, so the E30 M3 is the best choice

I did the hybrid swap stuff when I was into VWs, and I have a 1280 pound car that will put out close to 200hp, so I know what satisfaction can be derived from big motor , small car combos.
    I'm personally happy with my car stock.
    m

Leave a comment:

• Reelizmpro
    replied
    Cuz they already have it or want it for it's looks/brakes and 5 lug hubs ??? That's why I figure one would do this to an E30 M3 instead of a much cheaper and plentiful standard E30.

Mouse, around 5000 E30 M3's were imported to the US almost 20 years ago, how many do you think are left? How can you say they aren't as rare? You only say that because you are within the circle. We live in So Cal where there are many E30 M3's yet how often do you run into them? They're not as rare as some other cars but they're getting there. Just ask the people who have been searching for years to find decent ones.

Leave a comment:

• Gorilla
    replied
    Re: Why do people pick the E30 M3 to do an engine swap?

Originally posted by motoyen
    For the life of me I can never understand why people pick this car, of all cars, to do an engine swap. Surely there are cheaper alternatives out there. I totally fail to see the point behind buying and E30 M3 and making it a non E30 M3. If you're going to put a honda/nissan/gm/bmw motor in it, why not just buy the car that motor originally came with?

This isn't meant to slam the poster with the vette engine in his car but I just don't understand why not just buy a vette?

I see these threads all the time. Someone buys an E30 M3 and puts a different engine in it and claim, "this is what an M3 should drive like". To me that's like buying an expensive piece of art and touching it up with a felt marker because "this is what it should look like". It shows lack of respect to the original creators of the M3. If you truly appreciate the M3, you should appreciate how the engineers designed it.

Having said all that, hack up as my M3's as you want because all it does is increase the value of my car.
    /rant

While many here hold the S14 upon a pedestal, and all said and done it is a quite remarkable engine, the criteria for its design has passed, BMW and the Rules that brought about its very existince have moved on, Alpina and Hartge had their say, and now your either a pursist, 4 cylinders rule, or your in search of the power that the chassis can handle, without running up third world debt.

Even those running a DTM or very near specification, for their engine, revert to modern day engine management system, which in itself is a clear addmission that times have moved on.

For sure buy one, keep it original and enjoy, but to dismiss those that seek or try to improve by adding more power, which ever route they choose, is almost like telling BMW not to put V8's into their E46 endurance racers, and are they listening !!!!!

Live and let live, enjoy, and DRIVE, whatever the engine, but please to say you can change everything about the car, but not the engine seems strange,
    most aspects of the E30 M3 have alternatives, why not the engine ?

And yes, this is S14.net.

Regards,

The Gorilla.

Leave a comment:

• rich_w
    replied
    I think that your right.

If you are going to modify a M3, then I beleive you should do so in the same CHARACTER as the original car. And the changes you make dont detract but enhance.

So Turbos and bonnet scoops and engine changes. Different bodywork additions, extra spoilers et al are frowned on by myself.

Conversely, a 2.5 conversion. Different suspensions and wheels and brakes even a set of race seats and a roll cage all tip their hat to the original car.

IMHO

Leave a comment:

• rjd2
    replied
    So it seems your main concern is the value of your car? I think If you invested $15,000 into a fairly conservative fund for the next ten years you'd have a bit more money then holding on to that M3. Didn't we all buy these cars to enjoy? It would seem that we all have our own ideas about how best to enjoy these unique vehicles. It would be totally absurd to me to own a 12,500 miles bubble car but someone else might get a big smile on their face everytime they open the garage door and saw the thing sitting there. Good for them. I just can't understand getting so upset that you'd need to start a thread. I think I've added a new one..you can't talk religon, politics, and engine swaps in e30 M3's without someone getting pissed off.

Leave a comment:

• VtwinVince
    replied
    Have to agree with Anthony on this one, being a retro-grouch purist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X