Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just started my E30 M3 cabriolet project!! :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just started my E30 M3 cabriolet project!! :-)

Hello everybody
    I just started my M3 cabrio project and I wanted to share it with all of you. :cheer2::cheer2:
    Let me start by saying that unlike some of M3 cabrio projects around, I decided to do everything right.
    When I say doing it right, I meant the following:
    1- Original E30 M3 cabrio parts (no cutting and fitting from E30 M3 coupe fenders/quarter panels)
    2- Using the right donor vehicle. 1989 BMW 325ic with 82k miles and no accidents. Some of you must have seen my car in the In&Out meet we had in Millbrae.
    3- Using the right facility to do the job. What is better then BMW authorized Collision center? Using the right BMW trained body shop guy with 20 years of experience working on unibody BMW chassis, specially the E30 body.

As many of you know, doing it this way cost a lot!! but on the other hand, you know what you will end up with one of the best E30 M3 Cabriolet conversions around (if not the best!)

The only body part that will not be replaced is the hood. Everything else will be replaced.

Here are some pictures of the body parts
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vazbro; 08-01-2008, 06:18 PM.
    sigpic
    1989 M3 Cabriolet "Reproduction" #787th?? :-)

They told me that they'll get right on it but I was surprised how fast they work.
    My car was dropped off on July 30th and here is what I saw by the end of the next day.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And here is what my car look liked this morning!

[IMG][/IMG]

See what they did to my perfect qarter panels.
    I thought I can save them and sell them online but I guess I was wrong. Somebody would have wanted a pair of nice 325ic quarter panels in the original paint, wouldn't they?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here are some of the items I replaced/added prior to bring the car to the body shop. 1- Bilstein sport shocks

2- H&R sport springs

3- H&R sway bars

4- Zimmerman crossdrilled rotors

5- Low dust brake pads

6- UUC stainless still brake lines

7- X-brace

8- New timing belt and tensioner, V belts, water pump, crank seals, caps, rotor, spark plugs, 
some other seals, ignition wires and more!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Vazbro; 08-01-2008, 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    sigpic

Comment

AWESOME, can't wait to see future progress. Keep the pics comin'! Thanks for sharing. We're both in the Bay, I'd love to see it when completed.

Comment

I sure will.
        I will go to the body shop everyday to take some pictures and post them here. I hope that there will be no hick ups! I had to go through hell to get these parts.
        Some of them became NLA just as soon as I got them. It looks like I purchased the last ones!
        sigpic

Comment

Saw the car in person during our last meet. It's one clean flawless E30 cab. GL with the project Raymond. There is no turning back now. Guys take note homeboy is using all new OEM parts as well. Must be nice to be the big guy of Concord BMW. Keep the pics coming bro.

Comment

Thanks Alvin. yes, there is no turning back now!
            It was very hard to put a hack saw on such a nice example of 325i convertible but I gave the go over the phone while I was looking at the e30 M3 convertible pictures so It didn't hurt that much!! :-)

By the way, the wheels you see in the picture are ultra rare 16" BBS RS in 4x100 log pattern so instead of directing some of the $$$ to the 5 log conversion, I put all the $$$ toward where it was needed the most, THE OEM BODY parts!

BTW: Anybody needs a new or used BMW?? I need to sell lots of cars now to pay for my project!! :-)
            But seriously, nobody beats my deals!!!
            Last edited by Vazbro; 08-01-2008, 08:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            sigpic

Comment

Good luck with the project. Keep us updated.

Comment

good luck on the project ! Very exciting !

Are you keeping the m20 in it?

Comment

Originally posted by vlad View Post
                  Are you keeping the m20 in it?
                  I sure hope not....

Comment

Wow! Great project and respectable undertaking. Love that you're in the Bay and can't wait to check it out one day.

Keep the updates coming!
                    1997 993 C4S - Black/Classic Grey
                    1996 993TT - Midnight Blue/Marble Grey
                    1973 BMW 3.0cs - Restoration project

SOLD
                    2001 Audi S4 Avant 6MT|2004 Audi S4 Avant 6spd|
                    1997 993 C4S|1997 993 C2S|1989 BMW E30 M3|
                    2005 E55 Est

Comment

Good luck with your project.

I will PM you my shipping details so you can send me the E3 undertray and splitter. You won`t need that. Non of the original cabrio's came with that option.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice project. I'm sure your parts guy just loves you for looking up all that stuff for you.

http://www.imbmparts.com/

Comment

Thanks for all positive comments guys. I know you guys will be disappointed by hearing this but I am keeping the M20 in it (at least for now).
                          This car will be a cruiser and not a race/track car. The M20 with the right mods have pretty good low end torque and reasonable top speed.
                          Having a powerful engine is good but I have a limited budget.
                          I believe that I am doing the right thing by spending more on the body then engine.

I will however consider replacing the engine when I recover from this $$$ sucking project! :-(
                          Yes, I know that M3 cabrio did not come with the splitter and believe me, I could use the money by selling them but I think the front end of the cabro M3 is too plain and needed a little touch so I wanted to install either EVO II or EVO III splitter so I chose the EVO III splitter over EVO II.
                          The front bumper you see in the pictures is also original EVO III and it has the appropriate mounting holes pre-drilled from factory underside the bumper.

Having said that, I am open to any suggestions from you guys so please keep them coming.
                          Thanks again for everybody's input and help in my project.

I will update the pictures everyday (but weekends since they don't work those days)
                          sigpic

Comment

NICE project.

Comment

Impressive. I like that you are using all the right parts. The engine, if you decide to do it, can always be done later.

Good luck and keep the pics coming.
                              Ryan M
                              88 E30 M3 Alpineweiss
                              07 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
                              05 Outback XT

Comment

Working...
                              X