"Rose"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30rida View Post
    Awesome job. Are the swaybars a custom deal you designed or is someone selling those babies?
    its a mixmatch of stock-car stuff with custom bracket adapters. i currently have the 7/8" bar in there. also have a 1" bar if needed. cheers, jason

Comment

two steps forward, one step back. car started. held idle..... but, something in bell housing is rubbing.....sigh. jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason90m View Post
        two steps forward, one step back. car started. held idle..... but, something in bell housing is rubbing.....sigh. jason
        Don't rush things. You have the rest of your life to play with it...

Lee

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
        1989 M3 racecar
        e39 Touring

Comment

thanks for the encouragement lee. its times like that ...(when you think your nearing completion and there is a loud metal on metal sound) ... when it is very appreciated.

my VERY first start attempt...... skip forward to about the 0:40 mark. after this short video was made, smoke was coming out of the bell housing (just below the starter.)

pulled the trans out last nigh and found this.....
          whodathunk.

two steps forward.

car starts, idles and slowly revs.

time for a windshield.
          Last edited by Jason90m; 01-05-2010, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Congratulation...that must have sounded heavenly to you...

Thomas
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jason90m View Post
              the s54 can fit in the stock location. however, i wanted to keep a good weight distribution and keep the s54 oiling system.
              this is an awesome idea for keeping the stock oil pan! plus you get cool weight distrobution, and lots of space to run some great aero/baffling for cooling.

hmmm i think you just inspired my S50 swap to get way more difficult! haha.

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
              they are not idiots.

Comment

off to the dyno next weekend. I feel like a kid at Christmas! cheers, jason

Comment

Hi Jason, congrats on a great build! I like what you've done regarding the firewall modifications for balance and using the original sump, this is something I may consider doing myself with my s50b32. Do you have any idea of the total weight of the s54 with g/box? The s50 with 6spd g/box is around 270kg's! I'd read somewhere that the s54 was even heavier, but that was information off a forum....

Comment

moving the firewall was not fun. here are some engine weights.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/engine_faq.php

I can say the 6 speed is heavy and Long. i would guess the 6speed is at least 15-20lbs more than the 5. with the engine moved back, the 6speed shifter would have been moved too far back. i ended up using the zf 5speed.
                    cheers, jason

Comment

Wow. Great job Jason.

Lee

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                      1989 M3 racecar
                      e39 Touring

Comment

Can't wait

I'll be there too.....

Very very exciting.

Jason, Shall I order and bring a motorsport clone CF intake and see if we can squeeze in a second tune with the CF on there, see what improvement there is?

I'm up for it, if I can get it for sure...

(A local shop picked up a 3.0 engine from my warehouse today, I could get the intake by next sat I think)

Tempting, no?

Stage 1....Stage 2 with CF

on the weight subject... very interesting list.

First... they have the S38 photos mixed up.
                        Second, I like to see the confirmation that the S54 is less than the S50B32 it replaced.
                        Third, I had heard, perhaps incorrectly, that the S62 weighed less than the S54. Seems to be a myth by that list.
                        Fourth, and I'm sure every E30 S14 loving purist caught this as well... the destroked M3 S14 was not just sold only in Italy, Portugal got them as well. (320 version)

Didn't read too much else in there, but a nicely collated list, curious about accuracy.
                        Last edited by Alex Lipowich; 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM.
                        91 Z1, 94 M-Technic S54, 95 M3 LTW S54 almost in, E39 540 6 MT (32K new engine)

Comment

Jason - No, I imagine it wasn't! You did a great job of it though. I've had that link saved for some time, but I doubt the accuracy of the weights.

A friend of mine borrowed some very expensive crane scales from his work so we could weigh my S50.

Bimmerforums states 152kgs, so only 120kg's out.... I suppose this could be the gearbox, flywheel, clutch, p/s pump, exhaust manifolds, alternator, wiring loom and so on.

We also weighed an M50B25, which came out at 171 without g/box/clutch/flywheel.

I'll be going the same route and swapping the gearbox for the 5 speed ZF.

I know someone swapping an s62 into an m3, I was trying to get him to weigh it before it went in, but I think its too late now.

Comment

How'd it go, Jason?
                            -Derek

Comment

Originally posted by DePaul View Post
                              How'd it go, Jason?
                              headed there tomorrow am. will post results. Alex might bring a dtm box to see actual improvement #'s too. cheers, jason

Comment

i am very exite Jason & Alex
                                91 M3 AW 2.5 CR Dogleg
                                88 M3 AW Track Car s54
                                95 525 Touring M52 Turbo
                                04 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Working...
                                X