No announcement yet.

My S54 swap is near to finish: engine started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What connectors are these two? They both reach to the drivers side strut tower, not further.

Comment

Also, what is that red/white wire which is in the same plastic insulation with the aux. temp sensor? It seems that it hasnt been connected for years, because the conductor is heavily oxidated.

Comment

Ok, here is my version of a S54 to E30 intake

Total cost (not including the manifold itself) was about $60.

Comment

Originally posted by raimo View Post
          Ok, here is my version of a S54 to E30 intake

Total cost (not including the manifold itself) was about $60.
          total cost of engine if the last two cylinders are starved of air?
          I am not sold on this type of modification. I have redesigned the brake system to fit the stock air plenum of my S50B32.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

No. The relative dimension stay the same, because the runners are shorter too. And the redesigned part has actually more room, than before. But yes, the total volume of the box is a little smaller.

Comment

hi Raimo. hartge was transplanting M5 motors in to e30 m3s modfying the air box back in late 80"s just like how u did it. i coppied how hartge' did there H35 S e30 m3 at 330hp. its been running great. i have raced a dinan superchargee e36 m3 at 340hp an a stage 1 active werks turbo e36 m3 360hp i beet them both. so modfing your air box like that you should just be fine.

Comment

A little update

Evolution of the intake

one complete intake

little cutting

add some glue

enough room for all cylinders

laminating to close gaps

I used modeling clay to get the exact shape and maximum size.

and it fits

some race power

Cut out old anti-theft wiring

Some new parts to put thing back togheter

Retaped the wiring and change all plugs

New coolant tank, cap ja level sensor

New turn signal lens

Work continues ...

Comment

Nice work !

Wrong Wrong Wrong ! ! ! ! ! ! With the INTAKE modification ! ! ! Your Engine will starve for Air like Uwe saying.

I have a friend of mine modified the same way on his Air plenum and the engine lost some power on dyno ! He had to get another plenum and modified the brake booster.

The correct ways is to get brake booster from Geo Metro its small unit. Or get the small individual pumps for front and rear.
                  E30M3
                  E28M5
                  E24M6
                  E24M6
                  E24M6
                  E24M6
                  E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

Originally posted by First E30 M3 View Post
                    Nice work !

Wrong Wrong Wrong ! ! ! ! ! ! With the INTAKE modification ! ! ! Your Engine will starve for Air like Uwe saying.

I have a friend of mine modified the same way on his Air plenum and the engine lost some power on dyno ! He had to get another plenum and modified the brake booster.

The correct ways is to get brake booster from Geo Metro its small unit. Or get the small individual pumps for front and rear.
                    I didn't say he will loose power, I was more concerned that ONE cylinder may not get enough air with the plenum wall so close to ONE trumpet.
                    But as long nobody sticks 6 CO probes on the headers or 6 EGT's we will not know.

Who says the OEM Plenum design isn't aleady a compromise to clear the E36/E46 booster ?

I can manage a brake modification but I am not capable of checking if a modified plenum will work 100% correct. So I rather leave the plenum alone.

Also the GEO booster is a 50/50 thing. Some people like it, others do have nothing but trouble (from what you can read on internet)

I decided to delete the booster. But my car is 95% track. Not very useful on a DD
                    Last edited by UweM3; 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Uwe,
                      In his case I prefer to have the Geo booster instead cutting the air intake and have the last cyl starving for air.

On my S38-B36 I fit the 540i booster and DONE clean job no cutting no bullshit

The guy spent more time to modified the first air intake and then get another one and then modify the second one.. for what ???? His LABOR is in wrong direction. And looks ugly mickey mouse

For that much time the guy spent to modify the air intake I will be installing 3 brake boosters on 3 different cars.

The only one thing takes time is to bleed the system. But like I do have the pump/tool to avoid the brake pedal pumping from a second person sitting in the car going, preeess....release...pressss....release...hooold.. ..

@raimo its nice project I will absolute support you. Hear we are to help each other and nothing to shy about it :gotcha:

What kind of engine management are you planing to use ? Vanos ?

Good luck

Anri
                      E30M3
                      E28M5
                      E24M6
                      E24M6
                      E24M6
                      E24M6
                      E31840Ci/S62.

Comment

Good luck with the project
                        E30M3
                        E28M5
                        E24M6
                        E24M6
                        E24M6
                        E24M6
                        E31840Ci/S62.

Comment

Golden Nugget that was missed....

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                          Who says the OEM Plenum design isn't aleady a compromise to clear the E36/E46 booster ?
                          This is a VERY inciteful comment. I have been thinking this for months now as I work on S54's and transplanting them. Not sure if I've posted on this subject or not.

To say the least I'm really being super-anal-retentive on making a Mil-spec P&P kit, trying hard to not miss any details. One of the first things I did was really take a good look at the inside of this plenum on the S54's, compared to the S50B3X versions.

Here on the S54, they've put a lot more effort into having a large volume of space, and the trumpets appear to have more thought put into them.

BUT...... the circular opening to the plenum is quite a bit smaller than on the S50BX engines, directing preferentially the air to cylinders in the middle much more so.

Also, the intake trumpets come darn close to the walls, it is very hard to imagine that this is NOT unbalancing things, even if 1,6 are similar, 2,5 are similar, and 3-4 are similar, the pairs can't possibly breath similarly to each other. But the result might be somewhat balanced.

I've got an account now with a guy making knock-off CF intakes for these engines, and hopefully soon we'll be able to do some dyno tuning to prove just how limiting that stock intake plenum is.

If I had to guess, the engineers put a VERY high premium on the laminar flow of air into the cylinder head, and put that priority higher than balancing between the pairs because with dyno time and tuning, they found that this gave the best results compared to trying to equalize flow, but getting turbulant air in, due to shorter funnels.

(this is a guess, not fact, so don't skewer me)

But, as Ewe has said this DOESNT mean that the design is optimised overall, and I too would be VERY hesitant to chop down that much on the space in front of just one or two cylinders.

The S50BX headers do have ports for EGT on each cylinder, but this is not found on the S54 headers, so the opportunity is not even as you might like if you were so inclined to do some testing.

If I were inclined to make a new version of this box that allowed for the factory booster, I'd take an inch out of the whole box from left to right, but also take that same inch out form the BASE of each intake trumpet so that their relationship at the entry to the funnel, farthest from the TB itself was preserved with respect to the outer wall of the plenum.... this might affect torque just a bit, but preserve balance, and not affect cylinders 5 and 6 so differently from the rest.

Just my 02 cents worth.
                          91 Z1, 94 M-Technic S54, 95 M3 LTW S54 almost in, E39 540 6 MT (32K new engine)

Comment

To be clear - I DID CUT ALL the trumpets, otherwise it wouldn't fit physically.
                            The space between the manifold wall and trumpet is now bigger than in stock.
                            The trumpets are now about 0.75 to 1" shorter, which by the rule of thumb should mean a little less low end torque.

Comment

Originally posted by raimo View Post
                              To be clear - I DID CUT ALL the trumpets, otherwise it wouldn't fit physically.
                              The space between the manifold wall and trumpet is now bigger than in stock.
                              The trumpets are now about 0.75 to 1" shorter, which by the rule of thumb should mean a little less low end torque.
                              I went back and re-read the thread... I apologize, I missed that you not only DID do that shortening, but that you also posted that you did....

This seems now to be pretty well thought out in retrospect.....

There are many ways to skin the cat as they say.

For all that effort though, I think it would have been way more fun to put in a very small booster/master, and fabricate a new outer cover that encourages BETTER flow than factory, not trying to reduce performance neatly and intelligenty (which you've done) in order to preserve the booster/master.

But, thats what makes this all a fun hobby, right?
                              91 Z1, 94 M-Technic S54, 95 M3 LTW S54 almost in, E39 540 6 MT (32K new engine)

Comment

Drove it WOT for the first time 9h's ago. Cant get off my face

As for the intake, I have thought of making a completly new filter side part and keeping the ITB side stock. If I can rotate the trumpets angle towards front of the car, a CSL-style outer design should fit:
                                http://carbon-airbox-bmw-e46.bmw-air...bon-airbox.jpg
                                It requires moving the brake fluid reservoiur further away, but that shouldn't be a problem.
                                Last edited by raimo; 05-21-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X