The Purple ///Monster Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Purple ///Monster Build

So I figure I should start a thread for my M3 project build.

First I want to give a little bit of background about myself. I've always been a fan of e30s, especially after my friend's dad got one when I was 10. In high school I was supposed to grab one for my first car, but my parents wouldn't insure me with any kind of sporty car. I was pissed, because my friend had a clean Brilliantrot 1990 325i 2 door, 5 speed, with a rebuilt m20, H&R sports, Bilstein sports, and some clean 16s. My parents refused to put me on their insurance with any kind of sporty car, so I never bought the e30. :shit:

So a few years went by, and in 2005 I finally bought an '89 Brilliantrot 2 door 325i, with plans of swapping in an s52. The swap took me about a year to complete because I ran into some financial problems along the way. My s52 car ended up have full coil-overs, 22/19 sways, polyurethane everything, etc. I loved that car, and all the power it had! We also fine tuned the suspension to handle on rails! :drive:

After getting bored with the power of a bolt-on s52, I looked into boosting my s52. I was going to supercharge it for a while, then I though about turbo. Finally I decided, screw the s52, I want an LS1. I had bought some 17x9.5 Rota p45r and was ready to put on Eurostop's new "extra" wide body, 2002 style flares.

As I was getting everything ready for the new wheels, I came up on a deal I couldn't refuse! I found this 1990 M3, within a day of the owner posting the car up on r3vlimited. I dropped all my plans for my s52 car, and decided to sell it to fund my new project! :gotcha:

(only pic I have for now)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I got the car for a ridiculous price because the previously rebuilt motor had been taken apart, and left that way after due to running issues. Turns out the owner that had it rebuilt, 2 owners ago, bought parts without researching. The s14 has 95mm over-bored 13:1 CP pistons! Those are made for fully built race engines! As a result the lack of clearance caused the cams to get damaged, and the motor to run like crap. :nope:

Pros of the car:

1. The car has a clean title with less then 101k on the clock! 0

2. Even though the piston choice lead to running issues, the rest of the rbuild was done properly, within spec. The motor is complete with everything needed to get it running again. The motor has brand new: injectors, entire timing chain assembly, new fuel pump, fuel filter, all ignition components, water pump, oil pump, and a rebuilt head. 0

3. It came with brand new H&R Race Springs, along with front and rear H&R sways, and brand new Koni top adjustable shocks. 0

4. The interior is a mint! 0

Cons:

1. The paint. The car was originally Zinnoberot, until the owner that rebuilt the motor had it resprayed Diamonschwarz. The paint looks like it was done at Earl Scheib or One Day Paint - very poor quality job. Around the front windshield there is some red coming through, and there are other areas where the black paint chipped off, revealing the zinno. It's obvious that the car wasn't even sanded before the respray, because it the zinno paint underneath still has a bit of clear-coat left on it. :beef:

2. The motor was apart when we bought it, and I had no idea of the piston specs. I'm also not sure about the condition of the transmission right now, other than the word of the owner that I bought it from.

The Plans:

I've been fortunate enough to become best friends, and business partners with a shop in North Hollywood - Castro's Smog and Repair. I met Chris 3 years ago, and he helped me with my suspension on the s52 car along with many other things; since then we've been best friends. Consequently, the majority of my M3 project will be done in house at Chris's shop! [peace]

Chris and I were ready to embark on the LS1 swap in my car, so we could be one of the first on the West Coast to do it in an e30. After I found the M3 my mind changed 360 degrees!

Since the E30 M3 has been my dream car since I was 13, I wanted to keep this one all BMW. I was bored of the s52 power, and wanted something more. Since I'm also good friends with Osh and Chris at RMS I thought, why not supercharge the s14? Well that idea didn't last long after I started seeing how doable an s54 swap was, and how affordable the motors were becoming. So I finally decided I wanted to put a bolt-on s54 into the M3. The s54 is the perfect match for the M3 IMO. While the power from boost is awesome, I prefer a high revving, powerful NA motor! It's similar in weight to the s52, so I wasn't worried about suspension tuning, or weight over the nose. While having the s14 up front makes the car more nimble, my s52 car handled just as well as my buddy's e30 m3 with some suspension work in MOST cases.

For suspension, I will be mimicking the set-up we put together on my previous car, but with even better coil-overs. For brakes, I will be running E36 M3 front calipers and rotors, with stainless lines, and an e34 m5 master cylinder. For wheels, I've collected a few sets, but I will have 1 set of 17s and 1 set of 18s. Finally for paint, I decided to fully strip the car, and have Alex Castro (Chris' brother) paint my car Techno Violet! It's one of my favorite colors of all time, and I have only seen 1 other E30 M3 painted that color. :fyeah:

I will update this thread as the project moves along. I never made a project thread for my first project, so that makes this project that much more special! :gotcha:
    Last edited by e30polak; 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM.
    Need a good mechanic/fabricator/performance shop in SoCal?
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155404

Castro Motorsport

12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
    North Hollywood, CA 91605
    (818) 765-3606

The Purple ///Monster Build:
    http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47251

Unlike my first project car, I've been very diligent in finding really good deal on all the parts I need for the swap. I'm not going to rush this project, I want everything to be done right. I've already collected most of what I wanted, other than the actual s54.

What I've got so far:

Engine & Trans:

1 piece CSL replica airbox
    ZF320 5 speed
    3.46 LSD
    Ralco Short shift kit

Suspension & Steering:

TC Kline Coil-Over springs - 500# front, 700# rear
    Koni top adjustable struts - front
    Koni dual adjustable shocks - rear
    Vorshlag camber plates, with race perches
    IE 22mm front sway
    ST 19mm rear sway
    Treehouse Lollipop CABs
    IE Billet RSMs
    IE Poly RTABS
    IE Poly rear subframe mounts - street compound
    IE Poly steering coupler
    Rebuilt factory M3 steering rack, with new tie rods
    Aluminum control arms
    AKG subframe and trailing arm weld-in reinforcement kits
    Sparco front strut brace
    Custom rear strut brace based off the Mason Engineering design, which also mounts to the differential carrier

Brakes:

E36 M3 front brakes
    E34 M5 Master cylinder
    SS brake lines

Wheels:

Real 18" Alpinas!!! - 18x8 et20 front, 18x9 et24 rear (show & cruising wheels)
    17x8 BBS RX et10 (track, canyon, everything else wheels)

Exterior & Lighting:

Real motorized AC Schnitzer side view mirrors!
    Startec tail lights (may not end up using)
    Mint Euro Hella Smileys
    6000k Hids for the lows and fogs

Interior:

Old school Corbeau reclinable sport seats
    3 spoke Alpina steering wheel
    3 spoke BBS steering wheel
    E36 center console and armrest

System:

Alpine 6.5" Type S components in custom map pocket door pods
    Sony 3 way 6x9 speakers for the rear
    Clif Design 1400x4 amp for the highs
    MA Audio 1800 watt monoblock amp
    Full JL Audio wiring kit

Still to get:

Engine & Trans:

S54 motor, harness, dme
    Schrick Cams - 280/272 with followers (found a used set that I will be buying soon)
    Supertech Valve springs, Titanium Valve seats & retainers (found a set that I will be buying in the next week)
    Ebay headers for s54 - To be ceramic coated, and ported
    3" Borla ProXS single in/out muffler (to be used as the center muffler)
    3" Vibrant Street Power muffler (to be used as the end muffler)
    V-Bands
    8.5 # JB racing flywheel
    Sachs Race clutch & pressure plate

Exterior:

MA Shaw Evo trunk spoiler, with CF gurney flap
    TMS Evo 2 front lip

System:
    Alpine CDA9835 head unit
    Kicker 10" CVX subwoofer or Alpine Type S 10"

Last edited by e30polak; 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM.

Castro Motorsport

(818) 765-3606

Comment

With the large number of diamondschwartz M3s that were sold, I can't for the life of me figure out why people paint their red M3s this color and do a half assed job as well. Just go buy a black one if that's what you want.....:blah:

Anyways, it looks like you have a nice starting point for your project. Looks like the S54 is becoming a more viable swap these days.
      Terrance

Comment

Originally posted by ///M3 Terr View Post
        With the large number of diamondschwartz M3s that were sold, I can't for the life of me figure out why people paint their red M3s this color and do a half assed job as well. Just go buy a black one if that's what you want.....:blah:

Anyways, it looks like you have a nice starting point for your project. Looks like the S54 is becoming a more viable swap these days.
        Ya, I would've just repainted it Zinno, but I already had a red e30. I want something new, and the M3 deserves a nice paint job.

Castro Motorsport

(818) 765-3606

Comment

Sounds like a it will be a nice build!

Comment

Good luck Chris, it's gonna be a ///Monster... Techno Violet is one of my all time favorites too! And Porsche Zanzibar Red (2002 tii I'll come by the shop to check you out this week...
            Rich!

Comment

Nice! Can't wait to see it finished.
              http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

Originally posted by FRNTHVY View Post
                Sounds like a it will be a nice build!
                That's the goal!
                Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
                Good luck Chris, it's gonna be a ///Monster... Techno Violet is one of my all time favorites too! And Porsche Zanzibar Red (2002 tii I'll come by the shop to check you out this week...
                Ya, not as much of a monster as your turbo beast, but it should be fun! :gotcha:

Originally posted by e30m3power View Post
                Nice! Can't wait to see it finished.
                Thanks Joey, I love your new sig! My engine bay will look pretty similar, carbon airbox and all. :blues:

Castro Motorsport

(818) 765-3606

Comment

Where did you get the CSL Air Box and what they go for?

Chris
                  91 M3 AW 2.5 CR Dogleg
                  88 M3 AW Track Car s54
                  95 525 Touring M52 Turbo
                  04 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by GK-E30M3 View Post
                    Where did you get the CSL Air Box and what they go for?

Chris

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Found it on e46fanatics, don't know who makes it. It's made from fiberglass, but the top has CF laid on it. It's a one piece replica, so it's not as good as a "real" CSL box. However, I could care less, it will make the same beautiful sound, and make more power then the factory one, all for $600 shipped! :gotcha:

I may relocate the booster, use a custom rod and fork, and get ne hard lines like Groma racing did with their supercharged m60 e30. I'll right behind the heating controls in the dash, I don't want crappy brakes with all the extra power.

Castro Motorsport

(818) 765-3606

Comment

Dude that box looks great if you find another one like that let me know i will be on a look out on the forums

Did you figure out what you going to use for the electronics ECU?
                      i am waiting for Alex Lipowich and his magic

hopefully i will be working on my car s54 swap over the winter if the time and finances allow got a another kid coming early next year.
                      91 M3 AW 2.5 CR Dogleg
                      88 M3 AW Track Car s54
                      95 525 Touring M52 Turbo
                      04 Toyota Tundra

Comment

John also sells them but they're probably all CF and alot more $$

It looks like there are two kinds of NON mafless boxes. One looks like yours and the other looks LEGIT!

http://s14power.com/parts.html
                        http://JoeysM3.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3power View Post
                          John also sells them but they're probably all CF and alot more $$

It looks like there are two kinds of NON mafless boxes. One looks like yours and the other looks LEGIT!

http://s14power.com/parts.html
                          Ya those boxes are WAY nicer, but way out of my price range. I wouldn't be using this airbox if I hadn't gotten it so cheap. :gotcha:

Castro Motorsport

(818) 765-3606

Comment

how are you going to fit the E34 M5 booster and that airbox?

Have you thought about going boosterless? I ended up using willwood pedals with dual masters in my S50B30 build[peace]

What are your plans for the E36M3 brakes? if you do the spacer behind the disc option, your ET10 RX's are going to become ET-05 and stick out way way past the fender. There are tons of other options for brakes that work very well.

I would personally choose this over E36 M3 brakes:
                            -solid guide bushings
                            -agressive pads
                            -BMW OE rotors
                            -ducting

Are you really painting the car Techno? I had a 95 M3 in that color, and love that color so much!
                            Last edited by Eric; 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM.

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                            they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by GK-E30M3 View Post
                              Dude that box looks great if you find another one like that let me know i will be on a look out on the forums

Did you figure out what you going to use for the electronics ECU?
                              i am waiting for Alex Lipowich and his magic

hopefully i will be working on my car s54 swap over the winter if the time and finances allow got a another kid coming early next year.
                              We will be running it on stock DME, tuning it with Miller Performance's MRT Alpha-N software. I'm pretty good friends with one of the few tuners that knows how to hack into and tune MSS54 DME. He's confident in his abilities to run the car on the factory DME, so I'm holding him to it. My car is the guinea pig for many other e30 and e36 s54 swaps! :gotcha:

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              how are you going to fit the E34 M5 booster and that airbox?

Have you thought about going boosterless? I ended up using willwood pedals with dual masters in my S50B30 build[peace]

What are your plans for the E36M3 brakes? if you do the spacer behind the disc option, your ET10 RX's are going to become ET-05 and stick out way way past the fender. There are tons of other options for brakes that work very well.

I would personally choose this over E36 M3 brakes:
                              -solid guide bushings
                              -agressive pads
                              -BMW OE rotors
                              -ducting

Are you really painting the car Techno? I had a 95 M3 in that color, and love that color so much!
                              1. I'm using just the Master Cylinder, not the booster, I will be relocating the stock booster inside the cabin, behind the heating controls in the dash. Groma Racing - a local race shop, did the same thing with their supercharged m62 e30. This car will be street driven, so I don't want manual brakes. Luckily my dad is a machinist, so we can make just about anything.
                              2. As far as the e36 m3 brakes, Iwasn't planning on using the rotors, just the calipers. I figure that they're a good bit larger then the e30 m3 units, and they bolt up from what I understand.

3. Yes I'm definitely painting my car Techno Violet, hence the Purple ///Monster title! [peace]
                              Last edited by e30polak; 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM.

Castro Motorsport

(818) 765-3606

Comment

Working...
                              X