No announcement yet.

Rebuild 2010...S54 going in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Bruce, sorry about your motor. I thought BMW made these rods as one piece and then fractured the caps off, leading to the non-smooth surface (and to caps that can only go with their original rod and can't be installed 180 deg. off). It's hard to tell what went first: the bearing or the bolt.

-Luis

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    one rod cap end- notice is a NOT nice and smooth (ALL the con rod caps are the same- leads me to believe the rod bolts were failing)
    [img]http://heersink.org/bruce/M3/project/IMG_4457.jpg[/img

Comment

• You're right Luis- they are fractured and only mate back. Dunno if it was spun bearing or bolt failure, but bearing 3 was also spun.

Anyways- new motor incoming

Comment

• Bruce, I know it's been a while since you have posted, but how do you think the Y collector so close to the engine (E30 M3 x-pipe location instead of E36/E46 location) effects the torque/hp on the motor?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
        they are not idiots.

Comment

• Not sure. New motor to get final tuning later this week if all goes right.

Comment

• Good to know. I was thinking of doing a similar 3 inch exhaust for my euro S50 car, but somebody mentioned I would kill the hp/tq by having it Y into one pipe so close when the factory put the X pipe pretty far back on the E36 M3.

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
            they are not idiots.

Comment

• Not sure. New motor to get final tuning later this week if all goes right.
              I'm on the plane Bruce! Been looking forward to applying a bunch of updates to his car. Looking forward to working with you.

-Neel
              Neel Vasavada
              Apex Speed Technology
              2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
              Los Angeles, CA 90064
              [email protected]
              www.apexspeedtech.com

Comment

• Didn't get any graphs...the dyno was a Mustang. Need to get it on a dynojet to compare from the other dyno pull. Made right around 300 on the Mustang. IIRC it said torque was around 240?

Comment

• Got to the track today. New parts worked great. ABS was great, electric power steering great- almost too well so I'll have to relearn how much force to turn the car. Now the bad news...car severely overheated. Removed the head tonight and there was no obvious problem....however my block is junk. :-( Will need to do pistons. Might as well make lemonade....going to bump compression with aftermarket pistons and rods...hopefully the crank is ok.

Comment

• Ugh... Sorry to hear that Bruce. Good luck getting it figured out.
                    sigpic
                    Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

• Bruce

just watched the video,and made me sick!! soooo sorry:(

..and at my home track..hope to see you back
                      "Straights are for fast cars,turns are for fast drivers"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                        Got to the track today. New parts worked great. ABS was great, electric power steering great- almost too well so I'll have to relearn how much force to turn the car. Now the bad news...car severely overheated. Removed the head tonight and there was no obvious problem....however my block is junk. :-( Will need to do pistons. Might as well make lemonade....going to bump compression with aftermarket pistons and rods...hopefully the crank is ok.
                        Bruce,

Sorry to hear that (again) the engine fail for what ever reason...

How did the engine overheat with this big radiator?

This S54 situation will cost you a lot a lot a lot of money! Looks like you hit the Lottery to have the kind of budjet to play...

Before you put another grocery shop size bag ful with 100$ bills...Think about if its worth it?

Jason is veeery smart and took very practical step after the damper fail and cost him almost arm and a leg just for 1 damper...

If you scaled the S54 you would have done the V8 step loong ago...You will never ever get reliable hp out of S54...

#1rule in racing is weight if you see the difference in engine weight you will go crazy...and I know the difference because scaled it.

My own theory for Vetts LSX to keep it pushrod type engine 2v per cyl is exactly to keep the weight low and reliability...but that is another topic..

Just my 02 cents
                        Anri
                        Last edited by First E30 M3; 03-27-2012, 05:35 AM. Reason: edit
                        E30M3
                        E28M5
                        E24M6
                        E24M6
                        E24M6
                        E24M6
                        E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

• car over heated due to a pin hole in the radiator.

Could I do LS swap? Sure, but I don't want to. Can't race NASA GTS or BMW CCA with that swap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                            car over heated due to a pin hole in the radiator.

Can't race NASA GTS or BMW CCA with that swap.
                            That explains why good reason to keep S54. Well, take another engine and swap parts and always keep your eye open for another spare S54 because you never know...

I am very surprised how patient you are...

Anri
                            E30M3
                            E28M5
                            E24M6
                            E24M6
                            E24M6
                            E24M6
                            E31840Ci/S62.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyh...=dd&shelf_id=0

Comment

• Would be nice to have a spare motor in these cases. If I can find a block I can probably build a 2nd motor.

Comment

• sucks to hear the news. Hope you can rebuild asap!
                                Motorsport Hardware: Race and Street stud conversion kits for sale CLICK HERE!
                                LIKE my facebook page so I can keep offering these great studs at the Best prices! CLICK HERE!
                                www.Motorsporthardware.com
                                5.7L LS1 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X