'89 M3 bodywork, repaint and S50B32 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 M3 bodywork, repaint and S50B32 swap

Well, it's time for me to get off my ass and post this...

Many of you probably remember this car, which was posted here a couple years ago:

I ended up buying it for $3,500. Surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as much of a POS as you'd think. You'd think that with those two weird rust spots under the tail light that the thing would be absolutely riddled with issues. As it turns out, though, the undercarriage is almost 100% clean. I suppose I ought to take some pictures of that.

A couple pics from before the front end was disassembled:

Even the floor pan on the inside is nice and clean. There's just a little surface crap around the gas pedal from when the PO (the one who actually drove it) tracked a crap ton of mud in from construction sites:

Mind you, it had a TOP QUALITY Maaco style paint job at one point. And then sat out in the sun for a LONG time. Can we say paint failure?

Getting rid of the rust spots under the tail light:

Luckily, I had a donor tail panel available. It's easier than shaping sheet metal, although I've done quite a bit of that too. Lots of it was crap, but that area was great:

First pass with a little bit of Evercoat:

Core support mocked in:

Front end mocked together:

Engine bay is pretty clean:

Aside, of course, from the spot on the frame rails next to the header. Luckily, it all ground away cleanly and I hit the rest of it with rust converter:

Sanding away the Maaco:

Almost got the windshield out without cracking it. Oh well. Protip: Don't try to take out the adhesive cutter tool once you've got it in. Just keep going:

What the heck is this hideous sticker?

Oh, wow:

Anyone ever seen a CCA sticker turn to crap like that? I really hope I can figure out how to get that off without ruining the defroster.

Sigh, of course there's a bit of rust in the windshield rim:

No worries, some fresh sheet grafted in:

--forgot to take pics of the repair. will remedy soon--

I need to pick up some of Eastwood's brilliant Internal Frame Coating product. This should hopefully do a nice job of protecting the other side. I'd have killed for some of this when I did the 330is:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html

Antenna hole filled in. Can't stand that stupid, ugly thing. I'll either stuff an antenna under the rear deck, or in the trunk lid. Not that I really care much about radio reception:

Sunroof assembly removed:

Sunroof panel welded in:

This went surprisingly well… It just takes lots and lots and lots of patience.

Slapped on a sea of Evercoat:

Lots of sanding later….

It's not quite perfect yet, but it's getting reasonable:

Hopefully, by the end of this week, I will have the shell in primer. That'll be a great relief. I'm starting with PPG epoxy primer (DP48LF), followed by K36 primer surfacer (aka high build), and then I'll top that with another coat of DP48LF because K36 has to be sealed. After that, I'll go with Deltron for color and Concept for clear.

And I almost forgot. I bought ChaseN's S50B32, so that'll be going in once the engine bay is painted. That's a little ways off, though, so it's not really all that important. (Although it takes up a lot of space in the garage...)
    2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
    1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
    Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

will u adopt me!

Comment

Good job in bringing another one back.

Also, the reserve does not work on this forum like on others. You can not edit them to
      add more content.

Comment

Ah, dammit. Well, if a mod would be kind enough to delete them, that'd be appreciated.
        2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
        1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß

Comment

Btw those dura-blocks are the shit. Luv em!
          "Straights are for fast cars,turns are for fast drivers"

Comment

Great post. Keep us updated.

Comment

Need to get off my ass and post up some pics. I've made a lot of progress.
              2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
              1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß

Comment

Well done up now. Keep like that ;-)
                Protect me from what i want..!

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  Need to get off my ass and post up some pics. I've made a lot of progress.
                  you need to do that
                  91 M3 AW 2.5 CR Dogleg
                  88 M3 AW Track Car s54
                  95 525 Touring M52 Turbo
                  04 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Alright, well, I'm trapped at home with a stomach bug, so that seemed like a great time to continue the writeup. In between *many* breaks. Sigh.

Anyway, more pics!

Decided to suck it up and pull the rear windshield. I had originally entertained the fantasy of leaving it in, but the nasty build up of Maaco lacquer scotched that. The rear window trim was one of the few things they *did* pull when they painted it. Oh well.

After comparing the cost of having the glass pulled with the cost of a new one, I just pulled the damned thing myself. It actually came out fully intact and I was even able to get the BMWCCA sticker off. I'll have to test the defroster before it goes back in, but I'm hopeful.

The last weird rust hole patched and finished. I really wish that I could explain these two rust spots. They are so out of character.

I did promise to show the windshield frame repair.

Holy crap! It's a paint booth! Kind of.

Luckily it fits over here for storage. It takes up a lot of space and I'm definitely looking forward to breaking it down and storing it.

Plastic draped on it.

Masking is a real pain in the ass. As annoying as sanding, IMHO.

DPLF going on…

More DPLF…

More DPLF…

Even more...

*sigh* This is why it's a good idea to staple the plastic on. Luckily, damage to primer is easily repairable.

Stapled together this time around. Much better.

DPLF going into the engine bay!

Painted! In fact, I've top coated the bay, too. Apparently I didn't take any pics of that, but it doesn't really matter. The difference between DP48LF and AW doesn't really show up in pics.

Some non-paint related news! I felt really bad about cutting two perfectly good subframes in half. Just doesn't feel right.

Fortunately, it's all for a good cause. Tyler Timmel is making me a couple of his lovely rear sump subframes so I can keep a dual pickup on the euro motor and so that I can swap to a rear sump pan on the 330is. The best part about this is that I get a pretty large weight savings by not having to run a skid plate.

On the paint front, after some thinking, I've made a few changes. Thanks to Reelizmpro, I've been convinced that AWII is a single stage paint. (I'd seen quite a few people swear that it's base/cc, but more research definitely indicates otherwise.) Given that, I've decided to switch to DCC Concept single stage. It has the advantage of easier repairability and much simpler application. And white single stage paints are very durable as long as they aren't crap, like that lacquer junk that was sprayed all over the poor thing.
                    2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß

Comment

Awesome build, keep up the great work. Looking forward to more photos.

Comment

Holy crap, it's got paint on it! Pics later.
                        2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß

Comment

Nice! Can't wait to see more updated pics of the build.
                          '11 Porsche GT3RS
                          '06 Ducati Burnt Yellow Sport Classic
                          '06 E46 Dinan M3 OEM CSL (gone:wahwah
                          '88 E30 Henna M3 S50B32

Comment

Very talented sir!
                            1988 BMW M3 Alpine/Black
                            1988 BMW M3 DS/Grey
                            1989 BMW M3 Zinno/Tan
                            1989 BMW M3 Brilliant/Track
                            1990 BMW M3 Alpine/Black

Comment