Back from the dead - 1988 Alpine Weiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from the dead - 1988 Alpine Weiss

I started my business in 2005 - one of the first things I bought was a Treehouse wiring adapter to put an S52 in an E30M3. Not that I think it's a better setup.. I just never thought I could afford an all original E30M3.

A full 6 years later I was able to trade an E30 GTS car for a salvage titled non running S52 swap car. The car had not been registered for 11 years and the pink had been lost. When the car came in the head was off but the bottom end looked pretty nice and fresh.

A week later the head showed up and it was clear (at the time) that the head was the issue. It had been money shifted and the shop, who'll remain nameless claimed to have rebuilt the head. However the bottom of the head looked like someone took a meat tenderizer to it and was really bad. I sent it out and had it welded and rebuilt for real. The valve guides were oval at the bottom and round at the top which indicates that new valves were dropped in but the guides were never redone after the money shift. The head came back like new and was bolted on... I drove the car a few times and it had tremendous power... then there was water in the oil. We suspected a cracked block so I located another bottom end. Upon inspecting the old block it was clear that it was warped badly.
    It's not all bad news though.. I spent 2 hours in DMV and guess what? I had all the correct paperwork and for about $1,000 I was able to transfer ownership etc. To top it off the car is NOT a salvage title Wooohooo!

sigpic

Engine bay clean up

Performed some preliminary engien bay clean up. I also received a call from the machine shop... we're going to overbore my S50 block and install the JE 11.5to1 pistons...

BEFORE

AFTER - but still needs work

sigpic

Comment

Nice!!! I should really do the same now that my engine's out.. Nice colour

Comment

Good idea, its amazing just how different the engine will look sitting in a nice clean compartment

sigpic

Comment

What machine shop are you guys using?

I've been using Motor Machine in Carmichael for everything and always enjoyed those guys.

Just curious...
          1988 E30 M3 S38
          1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Originally posted by jibbajabba View Post
            What machine shop are you guys using?

I've been using Motor Machine in Carmichael for everything and always enjoyed those guys.

Just curious...

I used to use them I'll PM you with the details on why I wouldn't anymore. We build ALOT of BMW race engines so I have a hotline to the guys that do all the race work for the local machine shops. They don't deal in retail or walk in business, we've got a really close relationship with them so they're willing to deal directly with a repair shop.

sigpic

Comment

Subscribed. ::grabs popcorn::

Can't wait to see this beast take shape. Huge plus on it being a clean title car too!

-Carlos

Comment

Originally posted by c_tejuco View Post
                Subscribed. ::grabs popcorn::

Can't wait to see this beast take shape. Huge plus on it being a clean title car too!

-Carlos
                Hey Carlos! She's a little rough but hopefully with a little work she'll deserve to sit in your shadow!

sigpic

Comment

Some goodies arrived today...

sigpic

Comment

I couldn't wait

sigpic

Comment

Walter,

Glad to know another e30 m3 is in the area.

The wheels look great. I am excited to see this car on the road. Keep the build and pictures coming.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3justis View Post
                        Walter,

Glad to know another e30 m3 is in the area.

The wheels look great. I am excited to see this car on the road. Keep the build and pictures coming.

Mike

Thanks Mike - once it's painted it'll come your way for some loving... custom clear bra etc

sigpic

Comment

Love both of the wheels, steering and OZ's!!!
                          Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
                          • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
                          • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
                          • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
                          • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
                          • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
                          • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
                          • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
                          • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
                          • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Update... I call this a resurrection since it hadn't been registered in the last 11 years and was relegated to track only service. Since the PO thought it had a salvage title it was perfectly fine for him to use it as a track only car. Had he bothered to register it he would have found out the truth, score 1 for me!

I took the brakes apart, they were outfitted with Performance Friction race pads, brake ducting with backing plates, stainless guide pins and SS brake lines. The only changes I made were to bling out the rotors and install non dusting Hawk Performance ceramic pads. Of course the front pads I ordered were incorrect so I re-assembled with the old pads for now... the engine won't be completed for another few weeks so no worries

Over the weekend I got the steerigng wheels and AKG pedals covers installed. I also have a brand new lower steering column kick panel.

sigpic

Comment

Interior spruce up

I had the guys pull the seats so I could clean the carpets. A little oxy clean and a shop vac took care of about 90% of the dirt. Brand new ///M floor mats were also ordered.

Dirty dirty bird

A little better

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X