E30 s14 turbo conversions who else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 s14 turbo conversions who else?

Hi all, I was wondering how many people out there have done a turbo conversion on their s14 M3?

Mine has been on the road for a couple of months now and is soooo much fun!!!

Here is the spec.

STD 2.3ltr s14 engine with 2mm decomp plate (now 8.7:1)

Garrett T3 turbo with 0.63 exhaust housing and T04 compressor side. I think its called a T04b but i'm not sure as i built it myself.

Megasquirt fully mappable engine management with Ford EDIS4, crank sensor and coil pack.

Home made manifold and 3" stainless steel exhaust.

Ford cosworth fuel pressure regulator.

525cc/min Delphi injectors.

Pace RS500 size intercooler core with homemade end tanks.

2 1/2" boost pipes throughout.

The car is currently running 10psi boost and made bang on 300bhp @ 6750 and 272ft/lbs @4750.

It is superb to drive as boost starts at 2000rpm.

The car was built on a budget and is still very much a work in progress. Cost of the conversion so far is 1450 inc all engine mods, turbo, management etc.

Water injection is next on the agenda.

I'm not trying to stir trouble as i know a lot of members here dont agree with turbo conversions. I'm just interested how many other people have done it and how they went about it.

I'm not sure how to post pics so if anybody wants to see any just PM me with your email address and i'll be more than happy to share them with you.
    I'm dropping the hammer!!!!!

Here you go:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...&threadid=7450

I'd be interested to learn more about your megasquirt setup.

-Dietrich

Comment

Hey Marty.

Congratulation. I do not think that anyone here is against any turbo-ification of the s14. Perhaps not local attempt has succeeded, some of us have doubts. ERT made a supercharger but it never really worked perfectly. I have seen tons of turboed BMW motors in Sweden, including a shop called BS Motorsport which also had a turbo S14. I strongly believe that a small four cylinder engine with turbo is a great solution. Light, better weight distribution and gobs of power. Subaru and Mitsubishi have their own iteration and I am particularly impressed by the Mitsu Evo 8.

Show us some pictures of your installation.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

Marty........there's a guy on this board that called Dimas........(M3 TURBO).He lives in Columbia and has a turboed E30M3.

www.cardomain.com/memberpage/657919

Comment

Re: E30 s14 turbo conversions who else?

Originally posted by martybee58

The car was built on a budget and is still very much a work in progress. Cost of the conversion so far is 1450 inc all engine mods, turbo, management etc.

Hey, I have no problem with anyone turbocharging their S14, to each their own.

BUT, how can you possibly have done everything you described for the amount you stated? Even if nothing is included for labor (which is never free, even your own time), you are telling us you did complete engine management, wiring, turbo, plumbing, and all the countless other bits of hardware that would be needed to turbo an S14 for that price? That is British pounds you are quoting right? Something like $2400?

Reminds me of those TV shows where they build a 9 second dragster for $5000, then mention at the end that the tube frame chassis, the built aluminum block hemi, forged wheels, pro-stock tranny, etc, were all "donated".

Stuff like that is misleading to those who don't know better...they might actually believe they can turbo their car for $2400........:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, but I have to call "bullshit" on the price.

Comment

Re: Re: E30 s14 turbo conversions who else?

Originally posted by Ironhead
            Hey, I have no problem with anyone turbocharging their S14, to each their own.

BUT, how can you possibly have done everything you described for the amount you stated? Even if nothing is included for labor (which is never free, even your own time), you are telling us you did complete engine management, wiring, turbo, plumbing, and all the countless other bits of hardware that would be needed to turbo an S14 for that price? That is British pounds you are quoting right? Something like $2400?

Reminds me of those TV shows where they build a 9 second dragster for $5000, then mention at the end that the tube frame chassis, the built aluminum block hemi, forged wheels, pro-stock tranny, etc, were all "donated".

Stuff like that is misleading to those who don't know better...they might actually believe they can turbo their car for $2400........:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, but I have to call "bullshit" on the price.
            The complete megasquirt system is around $300-$400, turbo for $500, intercooler for $300, piping connectors etc for $300, injectors $200, block plate $100. Thats about $1800...........[done]

T

Comment

Come on Tony, having done things like this you know it ain't happening for that price.

"Homemade manifold".....so who can cut manifold flanges....bend stainless exhaust tubing.....do all the incidental fabrication.....and weld it togther at home? Unless you live at a machine/fabrication shop. Or did he cast a turbo manifold at home perhaps? Even a HALFWAY decent turbo manifold will cost at least $1K to fabricate.

"Custom stainless 3" exhaust".......parts alone here at least $300-400......built and installed even a mediocre quality 3" stainless exhaust will cost at least $1K, probably more coming from the turbo.

Not to mention the countless brackets and other hardware, wiring, and sensors that would need to be built, adapted, and/or sourced to actually make the setup work. That stuff adds up very fast.

No dyno time?

No wastegate?

Heat shielding?

Air filter setup?

Wiring?

I stand by my initial position.....it ain't happening for anywhere near that price .

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead
                Come on Tony, having done things like this you know it ain't happening for that price.

"Homemade manifold".....so who can cut manifold flanges....bend stainless exhaust tubing.....do all the incidental fabrication.....and weld it togther at home? Unless you live at a machine/fabrication shop. Or did he cast a turbo manifold at home perhaps? Even a HALFWAY decent turbo manifold will cost at least $1K to fabricate.

"Custom stainless 3" exhaust".......parts alone here at least $300-400......built and installed even a mediocre quality 3" stainless exhaust will cost at least $1K, probably more coming from the turbo.

Not to mention the countless brackets and other hardware, wiring, and sensors that would need to be built, adapted, and/or sourced to actually make the setup work. That stuff adds up very fast.

No dyno time?

No wastegate?

Heat shielding?

Air filter setup?

Wiring?

I stand by my initial position.....it ain't happening for anywhere near that price .
                :stupid:

Comment

Half full, half full...............

T

Comment

There's a missing decimal in the currency conversion. $24,000 sounds about right...
                    Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by WBSAK03
                      There's a missing decimal in the currency conversion. $24,000 sounds about right...
                      I am glad it is not just me....I was beginning to think I was doing all my shopping at the wrong places.

Comment

Come on guys, there are people doing turbos all over the place in the UK and cheat too!

M20 turbo setups drive in and drive out 1500-2000 depending on boost and application.

So if he did all that work and got some bits made up at "Mates Rates" then i guess that $2400 is not far from the truth.

Andrew

[email protected] | H23-is | S14 | Ceccoto #270

Comment

Wasn't this featured in an episode of Monster Garage? I think the episode was titled "Bavarian Hairdryer". The car retained it's stock appearance, yet could dry wet hair with hot gasses emitted from the tailpipe. Build tally? $2400.
                          Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Tough crowd

Comment

Originally posted by tominizer
                              Tough crowd
                              Not trying to be that way exactly....but costs are very relevant here. People wanting to do things to their car deserve to have an almost realistic idea what it is going to cost....

These claims about the turbo motor costs are similar to the guys who think they can build a 300 HP 2.5 S14 for $2500, because that is what the crank and pistons cost......

:rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                              X