Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

police

Originally posted by jordantii
    I'm cool with it too. Very interesting. My only comment would be from an asthetic point of view. I don't like the turbo on top of the motor. I prefer Todd Crosleys set up. But I know he spent more money.

i dont know how things work there but here you wouldnt last 5 minutes on the street with a so exposed turbo, maybe the only real problem is the police :p
    power is nothing without drift

Comment

The E30 M3 deserves more power but it still should handle the same. I am an american and I live in a rich area, I really want to build a car that can out handle an Evo 8 and out muscle a Porsche. Those smug rich guys drive around with thier drop tops and 20" chrome spinners thinking that nothing can touch them. I'd like to roll up next to them and drop the hammer and then disappear around a corner. A turbo S14 gives you the power and the weight of the turbo can easily be offset. It's a great idea in my opinion, and I plan on doing it and getting it past smog. Those Sacramento beurocrats can keep me and my soon to be 400hp monster of the street, if they want to stop pollution they should stop letting people drive their stupid 8.0 liter turbo diesel 200hp F350 wannabe monster trucks that fly by me at 120 on the freeway. Awesome car, but I can't find the pics, can somebody pm me with the pics.
      1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

LeeVuong, I am also very impressed with the Lancer Evo 8. It is quite a good looking copy of the M3 just with a ten more years of technology. I really want to turbo my car so I can show the Evo 8's around California who's boss. The E30 M3 is the original and a turbo update would once again let this beautiful little 4 cylinder reign supreme.
        1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by martybee58

Some of you have got me thinking, If i could produce a turbo kit for under 5k would there be any interest?

I for one would be interested. Although i dont see a group buy in this crowd but oppinions change all of the time

Originally posted by project86
          I really want to build a car that can out handle an Evo 8 and out muscle a Porsche.
          This is what Iím talking about. To me my s14 is like my hot rod. "I" tweak it and work on it as an expression of what "I" want it to be. I donít really give a shite what other M guys think, purist or not. Judging from the first post the thread wasnít started to take a ďpro turbo or pro naĒ poll, that has been done.
          I donít think putting a turbo on an s14 desecrates the roundel at all. It is after all still a BMW motor. Perhaps the purists are agitated because they have spent gobs of money and have 50hp more and a better exhaust note. To each his own. If you donít like it; donít participate. Four out of the six pages on this have been spent on badgering each other. Granted it has been funny though, I am really interested in a turbo and you are slowing things down. I have to read through all of this tripe for fear of missing something important. More Power, I neeeeed more power.
          Denny CraneÖ.

1989 E30 M3 DD
          2002 R1150R

Donate some social capitol to my cause please?

twitter.com/LUMANIKUS
          facebook.com/Lumanikus

Comment

Some of you have got me thinking, If i could produce a turbo kit for under 5k would there be any interest?

Wait....I thought it only cost 2400...!?!?!?!!?!?!?

JUST KIDDING......HONEST.....IT WAS A JOKE........I WAS ATTEMPTING TO BE FUNNY....NOT ALL AMERICANS ARE LIKE ME......HONEST......... :p

But seriously, if you can sell a functioning turbo kit for under $5K...I will publicly eat crow. How bout that?
            Last edited by Ironhead; 12-07-2005, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Customizing using used parts, fabrication and knowledge about turbo's, you do own install, it is possible....S14 owners are just used to spending $$$

Like a JAP car new turbo would normally run you $3,000-4,000.

A friend of mine using second hand parts allowed hin to set-up his Acura with for $1600-everything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by jordantii
                I'm cool with it too. Very interesting. My only comment would be from an asthetic point of view. I don't like the turbo on top of the motor. I prefer Todd Crosleys set up. But I know he spent more money.
                I've been working on a high-end turbo conversion for over a year now. There are some very good reasons why the turbo is high-mounted, and asthetics have nothing to do with it.

One of the biggest obstacles with the low mounted setup is oil flow back into the pan, and no one I've been in touch with has been able to get electric pumps to function reliably. The zero pressure return oil from the turbo flows sporadically and is often foamy. If the return pump cavitates enough, it burns out causing the turbo to fail (my turbo is $1500), and possibly causing debris to flow into the oil pan. Porsche Turbos, for example, uses mechanical engine-driven scavange pumps, yet many still suffer oil seal problems. Secondly, if one wants 400-600 hp, there just isn't room down low for a good turbo header, decent turbo, external wastegate etc....
                Last edited by Anders; 12-07-2005, 05:39 PM.
                Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
                  I've been working on a high-end turbo conversion for over a year now. There are some very good reasons why the turbo is high-mounted, and asthetics have nothing to do with it.

One of the biggest obstacles with the low mounted setup is oil flow back into the pan, and no one I've been in touch with has been able to get electric pumps to function reliably. The zero pressure return oil from the turbo flows sporadically and is often foamy. If the return pump cavitates enough, it burns out causing the turbo to fail (my turbo is $1500), and possibly causing debris to flow into the oil pan. Porsche Turbos, for example, uses mechanical engine-driven scavange pumps, yet many still suffer oil seal problems. Secondly, if one wants 400-600 hp, there just isn't room down low for a good turbo header, decent turbo, external wastegate etc....
                  Hmmm......a bit off the turbo topic but nontheless a forced induction prospect.

Anders .......you are talking about oil feed from the pan.......have a look at this (eliminates that)........http.www.procharger.com

Not my bag.......I prefer the n/a route but possibly worth a read ?

Comment

It seems many of you are interseted in the Megasquirt set-up? There will be pics of sensor mounts etc posted shortly.

The megasquirt system is a full stand alone ECU which does pretty much everything your MoTec system will. It will control fuel pump, rad fan, fast idle valve, fuel injectors, ignition etc and with some hardware mods it has features like launch control, knock correction and many more.

The ECU senses....

MAP (manifold pressure) via a built in MAP sensor
                    MAT (manifold air temp) using virtually any air sensor
                    CLT (coolant or water temp) using virtually any sensor
                    TPS (throttle position) must be a 0-5v sensor not a switch like on a std E30 M3
                    Crank sensor. I used a ford sensor but there are others
                    O2 sensor (lambda sensor) virtually any 1,2,3 or 4 wire sensor can be used.

The MAT and coolant sensors can be calibrated so it does nt matter which ones you use, I'm using the OEM coolant sensor and a Rover MAT i found in the scrap yard. The TPS is off a volvo but i have an identicle one as a spare i found on a vauxhall (GM).

I am using the MS relay board as it makes wiring easier. This includes relays for Fast idle valve and fuel pump, and fuses for fast idle valve, fuel pump and injectors.

For more info on megasquirt take a look here....... http://www.msefi.com/

Any other questions just ask...

Ironhead, what is crow? do you mean sh*t? In england we have a bird called a crow.
                    I'm dropping the hammer!!!!!

Comment

I love to see people push the envelope and go against the grain somewhat. I may have missed it but what power figures are oyu making or expecting to make. 1/4 mile times?

If you have msn, please add me as I would be interested to chat to you further about it.

[email protected]

Comment

OZM3, It is making 300BHP @ 6750 and 272 ft/lbs @ 4570. Starts to make boost at 2000RPM. I'm not really into 1/4 mile times, tho i would be curious to see what it'd be. A track day would be more my thing really. What i would be willing to do is a 4th gear roll on if anybody knows a benchmark say 60-120MPH or something? With a 1/4 mile its not really a true measure of the car its about the driver as well.
                        I'm dropping the hammer!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Trikle
                          WBSAK03

Typical American response. And from a mechanic (apparently?)

Would note also it's only Americanís criticizing? Funny that.
                          Originally posted by Cole Trikle
                          Thankyou UK215M3

May it be said it apears to be Yanks who continually want to Bully this subject.

Originally posted by liquidtension
                          i noticed that the Americans are the ones getting offended

Mark me down for another American who feels offended. I found Mr. Trikleís comments extremely offensive. FWIW, Iím an American living in the UK; Iíve been here for 8 years. I donít understand why anybody had to break this down to where people are from. Do you really believe this is only an American opinion?

Blame it on the Americans. Seems to be the popular thing to do.

Jake

Comment

OZM3, It is making 300BHP @ 6750 and 272 ft/lbs @ 4570. Starts to make boost at 2000RPM. I'm not really into 1/4 mile times, tho i would be curious to see what it'd be. A track day would be more my thing really. What i would be willing to do is a 4th gear roll on if anybody knows a benchmark say 60-120MPH or something? With a 1/4 mile its not really a true measure of the car its about the driver as well.
                            I find 1/4 mile times better than dyno figures. 60' timek is a good indicator of a cars power.

PM sent

Comment

^ Or do you mean traction? I believe MPH (1/4 mile trap speed) is a better indicator of HP.
                              Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X