No announcement yet.

My M3 build pics (pre turbo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party at Castro's!!! I think we were celebrating smoking the place out (CO not THC)... Well as progress goes there were a lot of little issues so "while we were in there" we rewired the eurolights eliminating two feeble hack job attempts, relocated my MSD DIS-2 setup, IAT, and misc. wiring... PITA

So close I can taste it... Nah that's just smoke residue :-/
    Rich!

Comment

• just read every page of the build! VERY impressive and extensive work! cant wait to see more!!! Keep it up!

Comment

• Thx, tuning now... The dreaded part :(
        Rich!

Comment

• Rich's motor is too cool for spark plugs

Comment

• Originally posted by Ara. View Post
            Rich's motor is too cool for spark plugs
            Telepathic spontaneous combustion, kinda like drive by wire gone Bluetooth, Mil-Spec... Ha ha! Fuel & Spark are where we are... Stuck. 2 days and counting.
            Rich!

Comment

• Still running the Megasquirt? If so, have you tried test mode? Drop me an email if you need some ideas.
              sigpic
              Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

• What did you end up doing to seal the head up Rich?

Aaron

"But most of all...
                ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

• Aaron, I used Permatex Head Gasket Sealant 80065 #99 High Tack Spray-A-Gasket Sealant the equivalent of Loctite 3020. I sprayed between every layer of the MLS gasket (3 pcs.) twice then allowed it to setup overnight under pressure of the head then sprayed the outside of the gasket with two layers then the block surface... so almost the whole can.

Well the car is running thanks to Chris & Chris pulling a whammy miracle at the last minute dialed in a call to Derrick to tune the MegaSquirt...
                  Let's just say troubleshooting it was a PITA! The Low-Z injectors with resistor box ran but tuning with them was a nightmare, so since that was the only part of the equation that had changed in this metamorphosis we decided to revert to a set of High-Z 50lb./hr. injectors and voila it was running like a normal S14! But Murphy's Law... all of a sudden a vacuum leak appears at the joint of the throttle bodies, blame it on the boost All-in-all a very productive day except 4.5 hours of driving from the IE-Hollywood in Friday traffic :shit:

See y'all at BimmerFest!
                  Rich!

Comment

• updates ?

Comment

• On my way to the shop now... The MegaSquirt tuning is causing issues... Looking at ViPEC, need a JimStim to check the MS out. You stayin in CA??!
                      Rich!

Comment

• What's the issue?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Basically the injectors keep dumping fuel... At first I was running Low-Z 750cc with inline resistors so I assumed it was the size. I pulled the injectors & resistors and installed a set of 550cc High-Z a little better the turbo spooling slightly but still couldn't get it to idle right and it started to sound like a Subie... Now a little worried we went down to orange tops... Same thing. So we went through the whole thing again measuring shims, checking for bent valves, fuel & spark, coils wires, compression I'm just tired... If someone had a JimStim and could bench test this my MS I would know whether to buy a new MS3 and use the 3.57 board from my current box if it's not damaged. I can't call it...
                          Rich!

Comment

• Have you tried test mode with the injectors and plugs pulled to make sure they're firing as expected? To test, I start by pulling the fuel rail, still attached to injectors and fuel supply, put newspaper underneath, and fire each injector channel through the test mode so I can see each one firing with my own eyes to make sure they work. Then I repeat with spark plugs pulled. Wrap a wire around the base of the plug, ground it, then fire each ignition channel to see the plugs firing.

Have you posted your issue up on the MSExtra forums yet with your MSQ? That's how I've debugged most of my issues.

Jimstim is good to have, and cheap, but you can achieve much of the same testing using the test mode...

Good luck, MS is certainly more finicky to get running, but I've found it great once I got the initial bugs worked out. Plus, even if you do switch to ViPec, you want to be able to say that the unit works 100% so you get more of your investment back...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Thanks Brendan, I will try that...

I'm going EFI on my MBZ 16V so hopefully I can reuse the MS.
                              Rich!

Comment

• Separation anxiety and depression are setting in :(

I wanna buy a VW to tinker on while I wait
                                Rich!

Comment

Working...
                                X