No announcement yet.

My M3 build pics (pre turbo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=///schwartzman;322191]Anyone needs parts or info. Jeremiah is an invaluable asset for the S14 and most BMW's for that matter

2+ that, never have to talk with him on the phone (email work flawless), alway correct parts, better price than realoem quote
    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
    Born date 01/88
    Ryan

Comment

Now I know I've said this before, and I feel it worthy of reiteration, but a 4cyl will suffer significantly reduced transient response from a remotely placed turbo - much more so than a V8. FWIW, I have witnessed others attempt this, only to abandon it later. I don't like speaking in absolutes, but be advised that the 4cyl's lenghty pulse duration and remote mounting leave something to be desired. Just FYI.
      2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
      1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
      1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

I know Ted, but I gotta try... Like I said it is pretty uncharted waters but I did see one example mounted at the end if the headers and it was a success. Gotta try. If it doesn't work out you'll have a good model for a manifold like Anders by then... make 2!
        Rich!

Comment

Looks great Rich. Obviously you have spent a long time planning this, so it must feel nice to start bolting the parts together. What compression ratio are you going for? Did you add piston oil squirters or are you counting on the piston coating to be enough? What is the expected durability of the various coatings, and did you get them all done at the same place? Am guessing it is quite expensive? Can't wait to see more!

Comment

Shwartzman,

Looks great, I can't wait to rebuild my engine for higher pressure myself! I'm really curious about a few things:

Did you stick with stock valve sizes and valve materials?

Who opened up your intake ports to 29.5mm, Top End? I definitely want to do something similar...

When does fabrication start?

Best,
            Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

--mm: Thanks. I've been itching to turn this 2.4L motor over since August, but little things come up with every motor build that are unforseen that in order to do it right you gotta suck it up and spend and wait... I opted out on squirters this build for simplicity mainly, I will get a proper 2.5L block hopefully the next time around. Embee as seen on the box did the coatings as they do all factory JE pistons and are local... The hard anodized coatings penetration is .001" into the pistons and .001" outside, and withstood over 900 deg. From an acetylene torch before the aluminum began to melt and the coating was still intact! The added copper infused ceramic coating resist the intended turbo heat. Yeah it did take a little planning more like a vision of what I wanted it to be & ton of patience. I think this is motor #10 for me, and each is very different like it has a life... In my wallet :-/

--Anders: Thanks, you set the bar high... I went with stock TRW valves with this build because I didn't feel flow would warrant more with stock 46mm throttles, and cost of doing
              seats and new Ferrea valves I wanted was more than I wanted to spend on this used head,
              trust the next head will be worthy of a "Looney Tunes" cartoon

A local head guru does my headwork Rick Kemph Cylinder Heads - 310.831.7759, his
              experience goes back to the 60's and early 70's when he was one of the first to weld Ti
              valves 1972 I believe, anywho some salt flats records, Porsche Racing, TRD, and VW's galore to his credit... he's an infinite wealth of info. re: anything head related, no resonance or thermal imaging programs or even flowbench necessary... With 40 years of hands on... Good guy.

Fabrication starts in December after break-in.

Oh... Final compression 8.87:1, expected operating boost... 18-24psi although it can do 2BAR easy.
              Last edited by ///schwartzman; 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM. Reason: Subject Verb Agreement... LOL
              Rich!

Comment

There are no pictures of it but I presume you've had the valves, guides and seats checke/worked?
                Anything special done to them?

Looks very nice by the way. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
                  There are no pictures of it but I presume you've had the valves, guides and seats checke/worked?
                  Anything special done to them?

Looks very nice by the way. Good luck with it.
                  Thanks, yes I did have the valves cleaned and spec'd out fine I decided to test the limits of the sodium filled valves no special treatment really this go round... New alloy guides, new seals, new progressive bee-hive springs, and lapped the valves and seats on a pretty basic 3 angle job maybe the angle on valves are slightly altered for flow...
                  Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
                    I've built a few motors in my time but this one is different to say the least... More like a motorcycle with "special NLA parts" car parts. It is definitely not for the faint of heart... or wallet.
                    Definite tip, buy all the o-rings, gaskets, slider rails & "one off" bolts first it saves a ton of time...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks Keith! No turbo plumbing yet, but Im taking the road less travelled my setup is going to be a "remote turbo" ala www.ststurbo.com so it will reside between the end of the header and the muffler. I ceramic coated the the inside and out of the header and will wrap it as well to retain the heat over the distance the gasses has to travel. (oops, forgot to post those pics...) And I will do the same with the rest of the s.s. piping to the turbo... but Burns Stainless is handling that chore since my welding skills at the present are emergency ONLY
                    So I guess when you pop ur hood open a quick look at it will seem its still NA!!! Just wana know, you will just be using an adapter to the stock header (ceramic coated and wrapped)? Or will it be a customized header?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                    Now I know I've said this before, and I feel it worthy of reiteration, but a 4cyl will suffer significantly reduced transient response from a remotely placed turbo - much more so than a V8. FWIW, I have witnessed others attempt this, only to abandon it later. I don't like speaking in absolutes, but be advised that the 4cyl's lenghty pulse duration and remote mounting leave something to be desired. Just FYI.

It might work with 4cyl. Check this link http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Press/stshcis.pdf

I will do this once my wallet permits.....
                    Last edited by justin11572; 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes, you got the idea Justin, in CA between smog and street racing they try to eliminate modified cars and old cars that are high on a watchlist namely Hondas, BMW's, Mitsu's & Subies... I'm trying to keep mine
                      Rich!

Comment

Yes, you got the idea Justin, in CA between smog and street racing they try to eliminate modified cars and old cars that are high on a watchlist namely Hondas, BMW's, Mitsu's & Subies... I'm trying to keep mine
                        There are plenty of ways around this in CA. I.e. register out of state or in a county that’s smog exempt. For example, you can title it in North Carolina like Jay Leno does with most of his cars and say F.U. to California smog.

Originally posted by drinaldis
                        I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Intake side 29.5mm ported

Hi Rich,

Have you measured those ports? You mentioned they were ported to 29.5mm. I don't mean to cast doubt, but they look like stock 26mm ports. The stock 215hp head with 28mm ports look bigger. I think I can see where a snap gauge was used in the ports to measure, did you do that?

Cheers,
                          Jake
                          Last edited by Jake; 11-04-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                            Hi Rich,

Have you measured those ports? You mentioned they were ported to 29.5mm. I don't mean to cast doubt, but they look like stock 26mm ports. The stock 215hp head with 28mm ports look bigger. I think I can see where a snap gauge was used in the ports to measure, did you do that?

Cheers,
                            Jake
                            Wasn't me Jake, but it is getting the valves adjusted so I will measure and shoot more pics... Like what I did to the pistones?
                            Rich!

Comment

For reference, here is what a 28mm intake port looks like. This picture was uploaded by Sprytel (thank you).

And here is the stock 26mm US port next to the 28mm 215hp/Sport Evo port (they are both 28mm).

Jake

Comment

Thanks Jake I'll look into how he actually measured them... fishy:err:

Some misc. pics...
                                Exhaust coatings

Spal/Setrab oil cooler relocate

BOSCH -044 Fuel pump
                                Last edited by ///schwartzman; 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM. Reason: Pics added
                                Rich!

Comment

Working...
                                X