My M3 build pics (pre turbo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, the pics I promised...

Props to Keith, the fit and finish on the gauge cluster was superb...

I haven't even put the aluminum screws in yet...

I had to intall an oil pressure and temp. manifold...

Custom Motor Mount Arm

HTA-GT3582R Turbo, OK Ted this thing better spool in the 3K range, billet impeller

Synapse Sychronic 50mm WG & BOV
    Last edited by ///schwartzman; 05-29-2009, 03:03 PM.
    Rich!

Comment

Thanks Rich , your car looks great!

Comment

Thanks Keith, it is a perpetual work in progress. I'll be needing a hood or the vents soon.
        Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
          Thanks Keith, it is a perpetual work in progress. I'll be needing a hood or the vents soon.
          Cool,
          Im having quite the run on hoods these days. I have some auxillary vents available too. I just havent added them to our website yet. :chug:

Comment

I had to intall an oil pressure and temp. manifold...

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I don't think that manifold is going to work for oil temp. I mean, it will give you a temperature of the oil at the manifold, but I don't think it will relate much to the temperature of the oil in use in the engine..... The oil in the hose that feeds the manifold looks like it won't circulate, just get stuck there, unless there is something I am missing......?

Should work fine for pressure though.....

Comment

I thought the same thing til I sat over the motor with a laser temp. gauge and watched it rise to operating temp. within 5 minutes, drove it for 26 miles and checked the differntial at the stock location, oil filter and oil pan with the manifold with only 3 degree difference.
              Rich!

Comment

Good job Rich. Can't wait to see it some time.

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
                E30 M3 Wiki
                My Youtube Channel
                E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

I thought the same thing til I sat over the motor with a laser temp. gauge and watched it rise to operating temp. within 5 minutes, drove it for 26 miles and checked the differntial at the stock location, oil filter and oil pan with the manifold with only 3 degree difference.
                  Maybe so, but it still cannot be a good location if you want any kind of rapid readout on "real time" oil temp. The oil in that hose would have to heat significantly more slowly than the rest of the engine oil. It is not touching the major engine parts, just getting indirectly heated by engine oil that is already hot. Why go to the time/expense of installing an oil temp gauge, then severely compromise the usefulness of the gauge by mounting the sender in a position where it takes an indirect reading?

Someplace (don't remember where) sells an oil temp sender mount that replaces that little circular cover on the bottom of the sump. That would be an easy solution.

Comment

Pierre let me know when y'all are gonna meet for another drive, I'll call Ara!

After driving a car for awhile, you kinda get a learning curve for certain things, I like the STACK cluster for just that reason... the tach to me is more important than say the speedo. With the oil temp. I'm not too concerned. One can tell the oil viscosity changes by the drop in oil pressure at idle and increases in coolant temps which happen faster than oil... It works for now, I will work toward optimizing that gauge function after the CHT, knock sensors and Methanol/H2O injection are added.

I'm onto buying LED warning lights and turnsignals etc. The simple but functional things
                    Last edited by ///schwartzman; 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM.
                    Rich!

Comment

Cool, Schwartzman, looks like fun. Envy of the GT35 (drool)!
                      Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

Thanks Anders, I'm laughing my ass off, all I can do is drool ON the GT35R turbo until I get the damn manifold fabricated LOL I can blow into it and watch it spin...

BTW, I'm thinking of going H2O to Air I/C due to FMIC space, what do you think?
                        Last edited by ///schwartzman; 05-29-2009, 06:45 PM.
                        Rich!

Comment

I still say you will be ditching the GT35 sooner rather than later.......regardless of Ted's percieved ideas on it being a good match to the engine.

Looks good though. I am not sure I am a fan of the CF outlay, but sometimes they look more appealing in the flesh than in photos.

Comment

Originally posted by OZM3 View Post
                            I still say you will be ditching the GT35 sooner rather than later.......regardless of Ted's percieved ideas on it being a good match to the engine.

Looks good though. I am not sure I am a fan of the CF outlay, but sometimes they look more appealing in the flesh than in photos.
                            I know, I know... I was on the fence with that decision (GT3076R vs GT35R) for months, I had a similar GT35R before and loved it so I guess I was biased. I am not quite worried (yet) but more anxious to see how well it responds between 2200-4400rpm.
                            Carbon doesn't photograph well but in person it is very nice, really made everything simple and a clean look. I think once the warning lights and finishing touches are in place it will be nice. I'm boxing up all OEM parts in the event I have the urge to revert.
                            Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by OZM3 View Post
                              I used to feel the same way, Dave. I'm now totally convinced of the benefits of a twin scroll turbo, especially GT35R with 1.0x A/R housing. I've been conversing with Ted on the phone, and after testing together, it's clear that his HTA GT35R spools about as quick as my little T3/TO4E.

On Subaru 2.5l, the Full Race twin scroll GT35 hit 15 psi at ridiculously low rpm, 3300 rpm IIRC, and reached 400 Wft-lbs at 3700 rpm.

There are also tens of testimonials by Evo owners stating that their twin scroll GT35s spool hundreds of rpm sooner than their (previously installed) GT3076.

If you're interested go to evolutionm.com and start searching. There's a lot of good turbo info, and unfortunately a lot of posers too... :hee:
                              Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

This turbo provides two major attributes as compared to a conventional GT35R. It has a faster spooling billet compressor wheel, and it has a twinscroll turbine housing. In real world applications, it outspools a conventional 3076R and delivers better transient response - and of course, delivers more power.

Just make sure the manifold flange and turbine housing are matching brands, as Garrett and ATP are slightly different.
                                2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                                1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                                1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X