Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 turbo in my e36M3..I know..

I already have my flame suit on [peace]

SO.... I keep thinking an S14 turbo in my E36M3 non sunroof car might be the ultimate track/toy.

why... well currently the E36M3 is around 3000 pounds... S14=235lbs, s50=300pounds...

I figure if I added a turbo system to an nicely prepped S14 in the E36 chassis my overall weight would still be right around a stock motored car. I still kind of want an S54 but they are 330pounds stock for 300whp'ish... S50 turbo add even more weight to the nose... I'd like to keep the balance of the car as close to stock as I can since I love the E36 chassis on track..

S14 turbo done properly seems to just go nuts with boost, 400whp would be plenty, anything more would be even more fun...

I prefer the E36 rear suspension on track. I have an E30 D mod car and have tracked plenty of E30's.. I just prefer the E36 rear suspension it feels much more planted at high speed...

AND now the intresting part.... I'm sure everyone here knows a multi throttle body set up sucks for producing a stable map signal... SOOO I just happen to have a mangled throttle body that my Dad.. Gotta love Dad... Tried to make into a slide valve set up for the race car... needless to say it never made it...

I'm thinking of converting the mangled TB's into straight through tube with velocity stacks inside the airbox and putting an E36 throttle body on the Stock E30M3 airbox.. Yes, I have a mangled one of those laying around, once again thanks Dad... I would not mangle up good E30M3 parts so I don't feel to terrible giving the single TB conversion a try...

I figure in an E36M3 it would be one less thing to have to figure out and would produce a nice stable map signal for the ecu...

Sure would turn a few heads with an S14 turbo under the hood:gotcha:

Flame suit on... anyone have any thoughts?
    Gary Gray
    88 M3 Alpine white Track/race car (maybe a turbo in future)
    89 M3 ZinnerBot (restoration project)
    91 VW GTI 2.0 16V
    01 325it Daily Driver/part time track car, not stock

If you can take it apart...you can make it faster...

Early e36 BTCC cars run s14's issue number 1 is you need a dry sump to fit inot the e36 apart from that go for it.

Jason

Comment

Why

I drive a s14 turbo with the stock throttle bodies as every day car the engine runs very stable and it have a very good running culture.
      if u use a haltech e8 i can send u my maps i have a TPS and a 3BAR map sensor on it it works fine! if u take the map signal at the same point the bac valve is connected to the throttle bodies you may have a good map signal!

sorry for bad english
      My first car (sold):taz:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXjnVRh8Qc
      My actual car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPISextQ6H8

Comment

Getting a stable MAP signal is a non-issue. Read through my turbo thread under Project Cars...

Originally posted by GGray View Post
        I already have my flame suit on [peace]

SO.... I keep thinking an S14 turbo in my E36M3 non sunroof car might be the ultimate track/toy.

why... well currently the E36M3 is around 3000 pounds... S14=235lbs, s50=300pounds...

I figure if I added a turbo system to an nicely prepped S14 in the E36 chassis my overall weight would still be right around a stock motored car. I still kind of want an S54 but they are 330pounds stock for 300whp'ish... S50 turbo add even more weight to the nose... I'd like to keep the balance of the car as close to stock as I can since I love the E36 chassis on track..

S14 turbo done properly seems to just go nuts with boost, 400whp would be plenty, anything more would be even more fun...

I prefer the E36 rear suspension on track. I have an E30 D mod car and have tracked plenty of E30's.. I just prefer the E36 rear suspension it feels much more planted at high speed...

AND now the intresting part.... I'm sure everyone here knows a multi throttle body set up sucks for producing a stable map signal... SOOO I just happen to have a mangled throttle body that my Dad.. Gotta love Dad... Tried to make into a slide valve set up for the race car... needless to say it never made it...

I'm thinking of converting the mangled TB's into straight through tube with velocity stacks inside the airbox and putting an E36 throttle body on the Stock E30M3 airbox.. Yes, I have a mangled one of those laying around, once again thanks Dad... I would not mangle up good E30M3 parts so I don't feel to terrible giving the single TB conversion a try...

I figure in an E36M3 it would be one less thing to have to figure out and would produce a nice stable map signal for the ecu...

Sure would turn a few heads with an S14 turbo under the hood:gotcha:

Flame suit on... anyone have any thoughts?
        Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

I doubt seriously you need dry sump since you can stick an S50 with a 525 oil pan in an E30 chassis. Sumps are not that much diffrent dimensionally than a standard E30.

I know how to on ITB cars with a vacum canister/manifold. I know a few people who have done it and even with a buffer to get the signal smooth they had issued with it. I'll go look through the thread though.

KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid... One TB vs 4, easier to deal with one. the ITB just give slightly better throttle response, wich on a turbo car is not really a huge issue. Crack the throttle you still have to wait for boost.
          Gary Gray
          91 VW GTI 2.0 16V

Comment

snip...wich on a turbo car is not really a huge issue. Crack the throttle you still have to wait for boost.
            Mid-corner, I have useable throttle response long before boost. I wouldn't overlook that effect.

One TB or 4 it all works, just slightly differently. I have to say, I do like the idea of the light S14 replacing the heavier six in the E36. Curious to see how the handling changes...
            Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

No need for a flame suit. I'd rather have a real 'M' engine in a U.S. E36, and a properly turbo'd S14 will blow the doors off the pedestrian U.S. six. One way to circumvent any MAP signal related issues is to simply run the system in mass air with a blow through MAS.
              2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
              1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
              1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                No need for a flame suit. I'd rather have a real 'M' engine in a U.S. E36, and a properly turbo'd S14 will blow the doors off the pedestrian U.S. six. One way to circumvent any MAP signal related issues is to simply run the system in mass air with a blow through MAS.
                Yup for the power to weight ratio the S14 with a turbo I think would be a killer motor in an E36 chassis.

And it is a real M engine
                Gary Gray
                91 VW GTI 2.0 16V

Comment

I doubt seriously you need dry sump since you can stick an S50 with a 525 oil pan in an E30 chassis. Sumps are not that much diffrent dimensionally than a standard E30.
                  sorry have to disagree. The E36 engine mounts are BEHIND the front cross member
                  and if you line up the S14 with the E36 engine mount position (which would make sense to get the engine as far back as possible) your S14 sump will sit right on the cross member.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                    sorry have to disagree. The E36 engine mounts are BEHIND the front cross member
                    and if you line up the S14 with the E36 engine mount position (which would make sense to get the engine as far back as possible) your S14 sump will sit right on the cross member.
                    Thats what tubing and welders are for... Not a big issue...

I can make a tube frame subframe reinforcign the front of the chassis while I am hackign away.. e36 front subframes are pretty cheap...:gotcha:
                    Gary Gray
                    91 VW GTI 2.0 16V

Comment

After looking last night at three pans on the floor, S14, S50 e34 and E36. I think building a new S14 pan and moving the pick up is going to work better.
                      Gary Gray
                      91 VW GTI 2.0 16V

Comment

Working...
                      X