No announcement yet.

E30 M3 Rebuild/Turbo Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow great work! You must have access to some very nice machining equipment I never get tired of seeing freshly rebuilt engines, its such a great feeling putting all that effort into it. I really like a turbo s14, I think bmw would have made this car turbo, had it been necessary at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougy Fresh View Post
      Wow great work! You must have access to some very nice machining equipment I never get tired of seeing freshly rebuilt engines, its such a great feeling putting all that effort into it. I really like a turbo s14, I think bmw would have made this car turbo, had it been necessary at the time.
      Thanks Doug.[peace]

Update time!

I decided to go a different route with the exhaust manifold flanges. After inspecting and measuring the factory S14 exhaust flanges and comparing them with the S38 flanges (Conveniently, I had a spare set of E34 M5 exhaust manifolds laying around), I decided to go ahead and cut off 4 of the S38 flanges. The S38 flanges are made of Inconel which with the right filler rod will weld to 304-ss with great strength and longevity. I removed all the emisions related stuff from the flanges and milled the backsides where I will weld the 1.5" schedule 10 piping.

Smaller inner lip: 35.5 ID
      Larger inner lip: 40mm ID
      1.5" Schedule 10: 42mm ID (actual)

Though its unlikely to cause a big difference in flow, I am going to attempt to bore out the smaller ID to about ~38mm on each flange. The wall thickness is about 5mm so I will not be going too thin by opening them up a bit. I still need to weld the emissions ports shut and then sandblast them before welding.

I finished the oil pan. It now carries an additional 1.6 quarts of oil. The baffles also work extremely well. When tilting the pan to one side or the other for an extended time (to simulate long sweepers), I found that the baffle that I have made does a better job of keeping the oil pick-up submerged than the VAC baffle. I should have taken a short video to demonstrate. Note the drain plug has been relocated to the same spot as the DTM pan. -10AN turbo return bung welded in as well. I had my friend Abe at Weld-Tech do all of the TIG welding. I wish I could weld nearly as well as he can!

I installed the engine as well! :jakeroutine:

I will be taking care of that messy wiring in the front end soon. I got a few rolls of OEM BMW harness tape.

I have a very exciting shipment coming in this Thursday. I will keep you guys posted with pics!
      Last edited by Motorsports14; 09-29-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

thumbs way up

Comment

saw some part pics on facebook!
          updates?

Comment

The arsenal has arrived...

GTX3076R with a .78 A/R T3 divided turbine housing.

Here is an overlay comparing the compressor maps of the GT3076R and the GTX3076R. In the right conditions the GTX3076R is capable of 62lbs/min whereas the GT3076R can flow 55lbs/min. In fact the GTX3076R can flow at nearly the same rate as the GT3582R which is capable of 68lbs/min!

Dual 38mm Tial MV-S Wastegates and a Tial Q 50mm BOV.

The intercooler.

Comment

Keep up the great work and please keep the pics coming!!!
              sigpic

1988 Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

Wow, just read through the thread. Keep it up and make sure you supply us with a few videos of it in action!
                90 Alpine M3 | 90 Brilliantrot M3 | 85 Alpine 520i

Comment

Originally posted by AlpinaS14 View Post
                  GTX3076R with a .78 A/R T3 divided turbine housing.
                  It's going to be very torquey with that small divided T3. I don't know what type of ECU and boost control you have in mind, but I might suggest something with active control that allows boost to be modulated with respect to engine rpm.

Anyway, nice job. Keep it going...
                  Last edited by Ted B; 10-11-2012, 02:05 AM.
                  2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                  1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                  1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Just curious why you need TWO waste gates for such a small turbo set up. Pretty large BOV to. How much boost are you running?

Ted.. You still don't have the turbo M3 done yet?
                    Gary Gray
                    88 M3 Alpine white Track/race car (maybe a turbo in future)
                    89 M3 ZinnerBot (restoration project)
                    91 VW GTI 2.0 16V
                    01 325it Daily Driver/part time track car, not stock

If you can take it apart...you can make it faster...

Comment

Originally posted by shadye30 View Post
                      Keep up the great work and please keep the pics coming!!!
                      Thanks and will do!

Originally posted by TheGoodGuy View Post
                      Wow, just read through the thread. Keep it up and make sure you supply us with a few videos of it in action!
                      Videos are a definitely a must

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                      It's going to be very torquey with that small divided T3. I don't know what type of ECU and boost control you have in mind, but I might suggest something with active control that allows boost to be modulated with respect to engine rpm.

Anyway, nice job. Keep it going...
                      Thank you and yes, that is the idea behind the .78 A/R turbine housing since the car will used at HPDE's. Looking for area under the curve rather than peak power. Though, the GTX can flow quite a bit up top before choking as well.

I plan on using an MSII via wasted spark at the moment. There is a inexpensive mod for the MSII which allows you to drive a solenoid for the electronic boost control feature. When time and money permit, I would like to go with an ECU such as the Motec M400 or other and run sequential spark.

Originally posted by GGray View Post
                      Just curious why you need TWO waste gates for such a small turbo set up. Pretty large BOV to. How much boost are you running?

Ted.. You still don't have the turbo M3 done yet?
                      I would not exactly consider this turbo small for a 2.3L engine. In short, dual wastegates=improved transient response & superior boost control. I estimate the boost level will be around 16psi or so to get me where I want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpinaS14 View Post
                        Thank you and yes, that is the idea behind the .78 A/R turbine housing since the car will used at HPDE's. Looking for area under the curve rather than peak power. Though, the GTX can flow quite a bit up top before choking as well.

I plan on using an MSII via wasted spark at the moment. There is a inexpensive mod for the MSII which allows you to drive a solenoid for the electronic boost control feature. When time and money permit, I would like to go with an ECU such as the Motec M400 or other and run sequential spark.
                        While I haven't used a GTX3076R, we've used its Forced Performance variant, also with billet compressor (HTA3076), with both the .78 A/R TS T3 and 1.06 A/R TS (twinscroll) T3, all with a built 2.0L EVO 4G63. In short, we've found the .78 turbine housing to flow sufficiently well to support 500whp or so with adequate fuel octane (e.g. E85). In this configuration, the limiting factor is the housing itself, but if your goal is 400whp, that won't be a problem. Expect the car to feel very V8-ish, especially with the additional displacement of an S14. With a 1.06 TS T3 and E85, we've eeked 600whp from the same turbo. Not too shabby.

I have a new, tested MSII mounted inside an E30 M3 factory ECU case, and configured for turbo use. Send me a PM if interested.
                        2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                        1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                        1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Great work!!!
                          "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                          "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                          onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                            While I haven't used a GTX3076R, we've used its Forced Performance variant, also with billet compressor (HTA3076), with both the .78 A/R TS T3 and 1.06 A/R TS (twinscroll) T3, all with a built 2.0L EVO 4G63. In short, we've found the .78 turbine housing to flow sufficiently well to support 500whp or so with adequate fuel octane (e.g. E85). In this configuration, the limiting factor is the housing itself, but if your goal is 400whp, that won't be a problem. Expect the car to feel very V8-ish, especially with the additional displacement of an S14. With a 1.06 TS T3 and E85, we've eeked 600whp from the same turbo. Not too shabby.

I have a new, tested MSII mounted inside an E30 M3 factory ECU case, and configured for turbo use. Send me a PM if interested.
                            The low end torque is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the HTA3076R on the Evo. I would take you up on the MSII if I hadn't already built one. Thanks anyways though

Originally posted by mrsha007 View Post
                            Great work!!!
                            Thanks man [peace]

Comment

I decided to go with an OEM Behr S54 Z3 radiator since it is reliable, inexpensive, and has 3-cores. Any decent full aluminum S14 specific radiator was going to cost over $800 and simply wasn't going to cool as well as this radiator will due to its lack of size. Though running this radiator creates two issues for the E30 M3. One of which is mounting it in the car. The regular E30's have the necessary mounting points that allow a direct fitment for the E36 radiator. E30 M3's have an S14 specific radiator support that does not have these mounting points.

So, I chucked some stock up on the lathe and turned these mounts out which will allow me to mount the S54 radiator without cutting, drilling, welding the chassis of the vehicle.

Here is a shot of the radiator installed.

Another problem that using the S54 radiator creates is the coolant hose location changes. I will update the thread with pictures of that solution later on.

Spal 16" 2120 puller fan. The specs on this thing are crazy! I have mounted the fan offset for clearance purposes.

Here is a shot of the front end with the intercooler and Setrab oil cooler mounted.

Almost done with up the cold side intercooler piping.

Ditched the crappy Depo Smileys for some really clean Hellas. 5-week wait for shipping from Germany was worth it!

Also picked up a Sparco steering wheel.

Comment

The car is looking amazing! The attention to detail is second to none. Keep the pictures coming and I can not wait to see the Dyno results. Please take a video after the car is done and tuned to see how it sounds.

Regards,
                                Hugo
                                Photobucket

Comment

Working...
                                X